The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visited the 'my350z' site and noted that one of the members, while driving on a
highway in N.J., got hit by an object thrown up by a truck in front of him. He
then noticed that his Clear-Bra was damaged but not the paint-finish underneath. He'll have to replace the bra but that is still better than having to deal
with repairing the car. He even showed
photos of the damaged 'bra', which looked quite deep and severe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
link?

Would you please post a link to these pictures you're talking about? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: link?

MarvinVA said:
Would you please post a link to these pictures you're talking about? Thanks.
Have to go to 'my350z.com'
and become a member to get access to
their specific forums. once 'in' you'll find it
under 'detailing' I believe.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,247 Posts
Ridge,

I worked at 3M for 10 yrs, much of the time in the group that produces this film. I can attest to this products excellence. We subjected it to some severe stone impingement testing and it did very well. The 3M product is designed and meets the auto OEM specs. These specs are usually more stringent than what is found in the aftermarket.

If you plan to get a clear bra - make sure it is 3M film.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shinoo said:
Ridge,

I worked at 3M for 10 yrs, much of the time in the group that produces this film. I can attest to this products excellence. We subjected it to some severe stone impingement testing and it did very well. The 3M product is designed and meets the auto OEM specs. These specs are usually more stringent than what is found in the aftermarket.

If you plan to get a clear bra - make sure it is 3M film.
- Wrote an article some year ago about a famous racehorse who belonged to Tartan Farms in Ocala, Fla.. The owner of the stable was William McKnight, who also owned The 3M Company.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Clear-bra

If nothing else, just saying the name brings a smile to my face...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Been using the 3m product for years on different areas of my bike. It works very well, pretty easy to apply and remove.

Per Arno, I'll probably only do the rockers and maybe the lower part of the front. I've seen some cars go to extremes with coverage.

Chris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
After repeated stone chips from the roads around Houston, one of the worst places for stone chips I have ever seen, I had them all fixed and a clear bra installed on my M5. I love the product, it has received numerous hits and none have penatrated the the film or damaged the car surface. I plan to have the same product installed on the front of the Elise. Oh, I doubt any of us want to find out what a headling lense for the Elise cost!

·
Registered
65 Posts
James,

I live in the Houston area also (now in La Porte, used to live 1 street outside The Loop) and agree with you -- the sheer amount of crap on the highways is sickening. I've swerved to avoid a wheelbarrow (at 65 mph!), hit a concrete block ($2500 damage), run over an aluminum ladder (in my F150, no damage), etc. Not to mention the regular pelting with small stones. I think that the clear-bra film is a must if you drive a really nice car. One question: where did you get the stuff for your M5? A friend at work just bought a Z4 and I told him about the clear-bra. He's interested...

-Winston

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I had the product installed on my M5 at the Lotus dealer in Houston, Star Motors. The stall next to the Lotus shop at Star is a Dent Wizard who does the clear bra. He does good work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts