The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...exactly one year ago this past sunday (it was a saturday last year), in blind faith i trekked out to galveston and then caravaned home through four hours of sweltering june heat in the new love of my life, mehve - she's been a joy every day since and keeps getting better and better...

...one year ago tomorrow, her previous owner sent me this link as a suggestion to treat her canard abrasions, and recognising a fantastic resource for upgrading her pitiful stock stereo, i immediately began poring through the wealth of information collected on lotustalk, absorbing everything i could about a car i hadn't even realised existed just a month earlier...gosh this place was intimidating, with all its search-and-repost bludgeoning by seasoned users, and honestly it presented an epic of history to dig through, literally hours upon hours making certain that a simple question wasn't possibly already buried in some other thread deep back in its years of history...

...a few days later i created an account, and literally twelve days after initially exploring this site seeking an answer to a relatively simple question, i finally felt reasonably confident that i'd made a good faith effort researching multiple sources and exhausting all potential avenues for reproach before tentatively posting my first message....

...now, a year later, i've somehow amassed eighteen hundred posts and have yet to be bludgeoned - i even find myself leading monthly spirited drives as the founding director of our local lotus club...i must be doing something right?..

TOURING WHEELS!

(...incidentally, those rear speakers i sought?..i should finally be getting them in the mail next week!..)

·
Registered
488 Posts
What do you mean by "Peregrinus Caelum", btw?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
...now, a year later, i've somehow amassed eighteen hundred posts and have yet to be bludgeoned - i even find myself leading monthly spirited drives as the founding director of our local lotus club...i must be doing something right?..

TOURING WHEELS!
Obviously, you are asking for it...

:thwack:

You have now joined the not so exclusive club and are a true member of the forum.

And to think, I almost didn't open this thread... rotfl

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Um I take partial credit/blame for your Lotustalk habit then. I know your cars former owner well (Eric) and I almost bought the car from him but I really wanted LSS. I sent him the scrape gaurd link and told him to forward it to the new owner. I think eric already has like 15k miles on his s-240.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I guess that means its been a year for me as well because I bought mine about a week before he sold yours to you

Happy anniversery Bumblebee. I think she will turn 25 (kmiles) tomarrow as well....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What do you mean by "Peregrinus Caelum", btw?
...roughly translated, wanderer of the skies, id est mehve...

Um I take partial credit/blame for your Lotustalk habit then. I sent him the scrape gaurd link and told him to forward it to the new owner.

I guess that means its been a year for me as well because I bought mine about a week before he sold yours to you.
...indeed, and congratulations on bumblebee's first year as well!..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on your first year of ownership!

I don't have anything to contribute to this thread except for a Latin correction :no: but "peregrinus caelum" doesn't make much sense since both words are nominative. I think you want "peregrinus caeli" for "wanderer of the sky" (actually, peregrinus appears to mean foreigner/stranger/alien rather than wanderer but that's less important).

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"peregrinus caelum" doesn't make much sense since both words are nominative. I think you want "peregrinus caeli" for "wanderer of the sky"
...close - peregrinator caelum is probably the most direct translation, but as i noted, wanderer of the skies is really only a rough translation...peregrinus caelum is double nominative by design, and not strictly analogous to either wanderer nor skies...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Congrats on your first year of ownership!

I don't have anything to contribute to this thread except for a Latin correction :no: but "peregrinus caelum" doesn't make much sense since both words are nominative. I think you want "peregrinus caeli" for "wanderer of the sky" (actually, peregrinus appears to mean foreigner/stranger/alien rather than wanderer but that's less important).
Actually, I'd go with peregrina caeli in m's case. -poke-

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I hope to be like you on my 12th month of ownership. Congratulations.

·
Registered
278 Posts
How many miles since you got the car? :shift:

·
Registered
274 Posts
...exactly one year ago this past sunday (it was a saturday last year), in blind faith i trekked out to galveston and then caravaned home through four hours of sweltering june heat....
sweltering june heat? didnt you use the A/C? its my understanding the A/C in a Lotus wont freeze you, but it should be good enough to keep you from suffering through sweltering heat?

or did you just prefer to drive it that way? my dear old dad is 91 and never turns his central A/C on. even when its 90+ and humid here in southern Indiana, he never turns it on.

M

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Obviously, you are asking for it...

:thwack:

You have now joined the not so exclusive club and are a true member of the forum.

And to think, I almost didn't open this thread... rotfl
LMAO... I have yet to see you miss a touring thwack yet. I'm guessing the first thing you do when you log on is go to search and type in "touring" before you do anything else don't you?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
sweltering june heat? didnt you use the A/C? its my understanding the A/C in a Lotus wont freeze you, but it should be good enough to keep you from suffering through sweltering heat?
...i bought the car without working air conditioning (it's fine now!) and drove home with the hardtop on a bright sunny afternoon sporting 100-degree temperatures and gulf coast humidity...my limit between breaks scavenging for shade to cool down was about ninety minutes, but topless, wearing a cap when essential to keep the sun out of my face, i haven't needed the air conditioner much since - really just on rainy days to keep the interior fresh and windows clear...

...if memory serves me well, i brought her home with around 63000 miles...what can i say, i'm blessed with a two-mile commute, so nearly all her mileage has been from weekend tours of the hill country...

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
You now ready to go forth in world Grasshopper!

...i bought the car without working air conditioning (it's fine now!) and drove home with the hardtop on a bright sunny afternoon sporting 100-degree temperatures and gulf coast humidity...my limit between breaks scavenging for shade to cool down was about ninety minutes, but topless, wearing a cap when essential to keep the sun out of my face, i haven't needed the air conditioner much since - really just on rainy days to keep the interior fresh and windows clear...

...if memory serves me well, i brought her home with around 63000 miles...what can i say, i'm blessed with a two-mile commute, so nearly all her mileage has been from weekend tours of the hill country...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...i'd originally planned to sell ohmu, my 2000 turbobeetle, as soon as i finished mehve's paperwork, but considering that i've affectionately held onto it for a year since now, i feel obliged to acknowledge it as a permanent stablemate - hopefully my signature isn't grown too unweildy...

·
Registered
425 Posts
good stuff man.. can't wait to get one.. ugh lol.. m, i believe your in Tx, houston to be correct? what's the biggest pain about the car you've had in your year of ownership?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
m, i believe your in Tx, houston to be correct? what's the biggest pain about the car you've had in your year of ownership?
...san antonio, actually...

...really the only pain has been dealing with the triple-digit heat this time of year: last summer my air conditioner wasn't working properly, and by the time i fixed it, late summer, things had cooled down enough that it was no longer essential to driving the car without coming home a sweaty mess...

...related to that, though - daily driving a topless car, parking's always a concern if i'm going to be somewhere midday for an extended period of time...i usually look for a nice shade tree to park beneath, but it's always a balancing act finding just the right shady spot as the sun moves throughout the afternoon while avoiding coming back to find a car covered in bird droppings...

...and related to that - if you live in an apartment, like i do, without any means to wash your own car, having the car washed is always a pain because it has to be done by hand, most places do a very slow and negligent job of it, and they tend to charge a fortune because the elise is exotic...i always have to drop off the car, explain all its quirks and that no, i don't need a three hundred dollar detailing, walk an hour home, return several hours later after they've had a chance to get to it, discover that they only hastily made a brief half-hearted attempt at washing her, and then pay fifty dollars (discounted!) for the privilege...

...actually, i would have quit using that place (the most prominent car wash chain in san antonio) last year after the first time i went there, but they talked me into buying five washes up-front for a discount, and then my SO with the kindest of intentions gave me a ten-pack of gift certificates for christmas...

...so i guess those are the three biggest pains of ownership: keeping cool in the summer (generally that means installing her insulated arctic silver hardtop), keeping her interior shaded and clean when parked topless, and having her washed regularly since i can't do so myself...i carry a cap in case it grows too sunny or windy for comfort, earplugs in case of extended drives, and the soft top in case of rain, and with those precautions she's a joy to daily drive...

...well, the stock radio's pitiful, but surprisingly usable, especially through earplugs while cranked up over the engine note...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts