The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would they make the Emira with less hp with the same engine??
Underrated?
New emissions??
Thoughts??

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,810 Posts
Did you know the Elise only made 118hp when it debuted?
Did you know the Esprit only made 160hp when it debuted?

They're going to come out with more powerful variants. They always do. It's the Lotus way.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m curious to see much power Lotus can still put in the 2GR-FE and still keep in reliable.

One of the most attractive things to me as a first-time Lotus and Emira owner is the carryover engine due to the reliable reputation.

Reactions: RodneyAE and vcappp

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m curious to see much power Lotus can still put in the 2GR-FE and still keep in reliable.

One of the most attractive things to me as a first-time Lotus and Emira owner is the carryover engine due to the reliable reputation.
That's the question i'm wondering, are they even capable of raising the HP on this engine anymore???

·
Banned
1 Posts

This video states the V6 manual will be 360 hp with the 2.0T DCT ringing in 400 hp.

I'm personally a fan of this arrangement; I had hoped the V6S+manual is the cheaper of the two given the simplicity of the hardware by comparison. I am sure the AMG motor and DCT are heaps more expensive than the Toyota units. A flat torque curve 2.0T with launch control will make the turbo unit a spec sheet ringer and frankly that should be the point to move mass units. This'll also allow the 'base' V6 to move up steadily in price as specs swell over the ~5 year run and come to parity with the 2.0T on special models (with special pricing).

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
That fool is wrong.
416to start is logic. We all know 430 is also in the cards and I bet a final harrah at 450 is not out of the question as it is the bespoke limit the tranny is rated for,,,,maybe more in the IPS car.
Only thing that annoys me is why no Torsen in the IPS car?

Reactions: Ensil and vcappp

·
Registered
16 Posts
That goes against everything written and stated elsewhere including direct quotes from Lotus executives. However, the output of the i4 will eventually be increased beyond that of the V6.

This is from the official Lotus website:

”Everything about Emira is for the drivers, including the engine. Emira will offer two powertrains built to deliver blistering performance and maximum thrills. This includes the much-loved and characterful 3.5-litre supercharged V6 and the world’s most powerful production 4 cylinder engine developed in conjunction with AMG and tuned to deliver a heart-racing 360hp.”

·
Registered
54 Posts
Underpromise, overdeliver. Or also CYA for any regulatory issue (emissions, noise level requirement). Besides that, I expect 416hp like Matt Windle said in that video posted above.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Underpromise, overdeliver. Or also CYA for any regulatory issue (emissions, noise level requirement). Besides that, I expect 416hp like Matt Windle said in that video posted above.
Yes it certainly seems like Lotus is playing the "under promise, over deliver" game which I greatly appreciate. Hopefully this remains up until delivery date ( esp the expected price range )

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
17 Posts
That goes against everything written and stated elsewhere including direct quotes from Lotus executives. However, the output of the i4 will eventually be increased beyond that of the V6.

This is from the official Lotus website:

”Everything about Emira is for the drivers, including the engine. Emira will offer two powertrains built to deliver blistering performance and maximum thrills. This includes the much-loved and characterful 3.5-litre supercharged V6 and the world’s most powerful production 4 cylinder engine developed in conjunction with AMG and tuned to deliver a heart-racing 360hp.”
I wouldn't hang my hat on what you see on their website right now. It's a world-wide launch, so what you're seeing is the minimum for certain markets. We already have confirmation that the V6 SC will have 416hp. This will be equivalent to the EvoraGT in the US and maybe the 416ps/410hp in the UK equivalent to the Evora 410. I'd expect minor variation, but certainly nothing to write home about.

As far as the AMG M139 engine, it might be 360hp in regions where there are huge taxes/regulations when it comes to CO2 emissions, but I'd expect more power in markets such as the US where they have a lot more competition from Porsche and others manufacturers. Bone stock the M139 in the A45S makes 416/421hp and I've seen plenty of aftermarket tunes in the 500-600hp range with boost up to ~35psi from the ~30psi stock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bet most couldn't tell the difference of 16hp...

400hp plenty, especially for manual. 350hp in my Evora S was super fun, you could actually wring it out driving around, loved it. When you start pushing 500hp in a RWD you have to be more weary of your throttle application, rarely am I giving it the full beans on the road

·
Registered
46 Posts
More HP means larger tyres, bigger brakes, stronger driveline components. This means more cost, weight and less feel. You could perhaps use exotic materials to drive down weight but then you wouldn't be even near the Cayman price point either and then be complaining it's too expensive now 🙄

·
Registered
172 Posts
Then you encounter the issue; where can you use this kind of power on the street? On the track yes, but what if you aren't going to take your car to the track? When you're poking along in 35-45 mph traffic, having gobs of horsepower and a top speed of 180 doesn't mean a swingin' thing. What I value is throttle response, chassis response, braking balance, steering response, and sound as the frosting on that cake. A manual trans allows me to be a part of the machine; I'm not just a passenger in the driver's seat. When you're dancing through the curves and corners in a well-orchestrated rhythm, you and the car become partners in the dance. It's a total-focus activity, and there's nothing else like it. I have the feeling this car is going to be an absolute joy to drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That fool is wrong.
416to start is logic. We all know 430 is also in the cards and I bet a final harrah at 450 is not out of the question as it is the bespoke limit the tranny is rated for,,,,maybe more in the IPS car.
Only thing that annoys me is why no Torsen in the IPS car?
So far claims are that LSD's are standard for all transmission options

·
Registered
364 Posts
Did you know the Elise only made 118hp when it debuted?
Did you know the Esprit only made 160hp when it debuted?

They're going to come out with more powerful variants. They always do. It's the Lotus way.
Exactly, Lotus does this with the Evora too. When the Evora debuted, it has only 276 hp. The current Evora now has 416 hp. So I'm sure there will be a faster and lighter version of the Emira after a few years of the initial launch.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Exactly, Lotus does this with the Evora too. When the Evora debuted, it has only 276 hp. The current Evora now has 416 hp. So I'm sure there will be a faster and lighter version of the Emira after a few years of the initial launch.
I'm counting on it. I'm getting the first one coming to Boston and only keeping it long enough to trade it for the next one, rinse and repeat until the final ICE Emira is released. I'll keep that one forever and it will be a very special car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts