The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Flushed the power steering today. The manuals say it's a 2 liter system, but I could only get 1 out.

I removed both the high and low side near the engine like the manual said. I then turned the wheel back a forth a million times, and I cranked the engine without the fuel pumps to get more out of the system.

I re-connected the low side and flushed a quart through the high side but filling the header tank with new fluid.

Then I put it all back together and put in about a quart to refill the system and started and revved the engine. The level set in nicely.

And to really flush it, I drained and refilled again. But 1 quart was all that came out and went back in the second time.

The old oil looked brown when it drained. I put in Royal Purple, so I can say what was coming out after the flushing was pure purple.

Anyone else flush their power steering system? If so, how much did you get out?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only way to truly flush all of the old fluid is to run new fluid through until its clean coming out. Back in my shop days, we had a BG machine for transmissions we used to flush power steering systems also. It was usually 6-7 quarts to get a system clean. The only way I've found to do this without shop equipment is to do repeated flushing (which you already did)...you can't get fluid into the pump fast enough if you just take off a line to dump in a bucket, etc. You WILL run the pump dry which will destroy it.

edit: the 2 liter number is likely a dry number, not a "change" number as they don't expect you to service the PAS.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the good info.

I will say that the V8 does list a power steering flush on the maintenance schedule every 36k miles. I only have 27k, but I am changing all the fluids as the new owner just to know for sure.

Everything is done except the gearbox at this point, which is one of the easier ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts