The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHhhhh I picked up my car on Wednesday finally! I am in awe!

i got some bids today to install the i-pod wiring , hopefully running it to the little cubby benieth the starter button if the guy can snake the wire over to it.

I also got a bid of 150 -175 to paint the center consol yellow like the HRM special car, i like that look, was the cubby at the end of that consol between the seats also painted? i intend to paint that as well, i am going to go smooth gloss look

now about the chemical smell radiating off the plastics and composites! how long does it take for it to go away! it starts to give me a headache! right now i have the roof on which maybe part of the concentration levels, i know a few of you men/women have had thier cars for a while, has the strong fiberglass/plastic odor dissapated yet?

other then that i love the car!

I met Brian Redman today his company sets up racing events and some drivers training one on one and group, check out his site www.gorace.com He might be a great guy to do a lotus event at Road Atlanta, Sebring or Moroso since he is here in Vero Beach, FL Impressive collection of trophy's and memoribilia he has, a true champion driver and a really nice man. I bet if we had enough interest with or without Lotus USA support he would be willing to do something with the Lotus groups out there if we had enough participation.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There must be something wrong with my computer. The pictures aren't loading ..... :(

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
In my car the smell went away in about 10-14 days. I left the top off and the windows down in my garage when not driving it. This is my first Lotus and I expected a different experience from my cars in the past but the "new car smell" was quite a surprise. If it really bothers you I recommend sniffing some epoxy prior to driving it. It really made it easier for me! (just kidding, really)

Enjoy the new car and let us know how the iPod install goes. It really shouldn't be hard to run the wires. I've had a good look in and under the dash and it's not hard to route stuff.

As far as a driver training event, count me in if it's at Road Atlanta. I'd also be interested if it's a Taladega. I hear there is plenty of room for error on that course and it sounds like it's a lot cheaper to rent.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I spent a LOT of time in mine for 3 days after picking it up. With the roof on mostly.

The smell MOSTLY goes away in a couple weeks. It lingers in the trunk longer.

I also painted the "cell phone holder thingie" above the center spine console. I think it would look odd to not paint that too.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
While we are on the subject...Does anyone think painting the a/c control surround to match would look odd? It's the exact same plastic as the center console. My car is Graphite Gray so it won't be as extreme as some other colors. It makes sense to spray it all at the same time.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I hadn't thought of it. Now that you mention it, it does look a teeny bit cheesy. For, it would be too bling on a Saffron Yellow car. Your car would be cool.

·
Registered
114 Posts
speedracergirl8 said:
now about the chemical smell radiating off the plastics and composites! how long does it take for it to go away! it starts to give me a headache! right now i have the roof on which maybe part of the concentration levels, i know a few of you men/women have had thier cars for a while, has the strong fiberglass/plastic odor dissapated yet?
It gradually goes away. Then it's gone. And what you once hated, you miss (a little bit). As posted, it's Lotus' equiv of a new car smell.

Enjoy your Elise!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yea, new resin smell ! It goes away pretty quick, if you miss it go the Pep Boys and buy a fiber glass repair kit and open the resin. :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Can't you buy a transmitter for the iPod? I think it's very small and plugs in the top. You can tune an unused radio station to it and not worry about any wires. It will work on any radio too.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
KuroiSport said:
Can't you buy a transmitter for the iPod? I think it's very small and plugs in the top. You can tune an unused radio station to it and not worry about any wires. It will work on any radio too.
You can, but I've never had one that I've been happy with. Even when you get them tuned in well the quality is poor. Then you drive around and lose the signal and have to retune. I'd rather have a wire.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Perhaps leaving an open box of baking
soda in the cockpit would eat up the
odor. Works in the 'fridge'. The one I
purchase regularly has a spill-proof 'mesh
like' screen.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I took out one of the light fixtures in my garage and installed a commercail heacy duty ceiling fan. My garage is always about 95 to 100 degrees since the sun hits against it all day long. When I come home I leave the garage door open and turn on the fan and it cools everything down. Its almsot like a wind tunnel.
I put my wet roof on the floor and left the fan on and it dried it pretty quick, also the airflow got rid of some of the plasticky new car smell too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
ooooooh that smell->iPod transmitter

I couldn't help resonding to this one becusae it has some humor in it depending on your oint of view.

I wired up a similar transmitter to a CD player to use an unused channel and it worked moderately well, but did have some positional issues. The really odd part was that I lost the signal when I braked. Eventually I realized that if I move my right leg over the brake I also lost the signal. Left foot braking (not recommended) did not interfere with the signal. Deductive reasoning led me to the cause. I have two 8 inch metal rods and 12 nuts and bolts in my lower leg, tibia and fibula, courtesy of a drunk driver in a GMC panel van.

Bottom line is that the when the metal lines up right it interferes with the signal. Had to stop because any other braking was too odd to be safe.

I am hoping to wire in a 1.5 gig Rio into my system. If there are any hints I will welcome them.

SY, Touring &LSS Feb/March???

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
67veloce said:
I have two 8 inch metal rods and 12 nuts and bolts in my lower leg, tibia and fibula, courtesy of a drunk driver in a GMC panel van.
I bet you have fun going through security at the airports...:huh:

Glad they could fix you back up (more or less)...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Jimbo said:
Paul,

Does the std radio have an Aux-In port suitable for the iPod?

-Jim
Both the standard and touring radios (Blaupunkt Heidelberg and Los Angeles respectively) have aux. inputs, but you have to get adapter cables for them. The cable is $10-20.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts