The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to put my finger on it for the past few months and finally I got it. The Elise looks like a future Opel Manta. The car came in a blue that was similar to Laser Blue as I recall..
Does anyone have pictures of one??
Sort of a miniature Corvette in a good way though..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Assume Perry was referring to the Opel GT .

Coincidentally I used to have a "white" one :D

If I can get my scanner working I will scan in an old (scary) picture.

Larry

Edit: None of my pics are as good as Stan's :clap:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
They were neat car...if memory serves there was a manual lever to roll over the lights. And small and "large" engine options. I like that power bulge on the hood that some had...sorta like some of the hipo Elans...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
no no no. have said i before, will say it again

ferrari 246

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dino is the first thing that came to mind when I saw an Elise.

I'm with you NtflBlueLiz: I always wanted a Dino and that is probably why I was so taken with the Elise.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The 246 Dino is one of the cars that was benchmarked in the design phase of the Elise project. And one of the cars owned by the original designer of the Elise.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
ah, i came SO close to buying one. it was a flashback moment when i first saw elise pix in the magazines a few years ago

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
When it approaches the viewer while climbing an incline, I think it looks reminiscent of a lambo miura.
it has to be approaching slowly though, otherwise the lightness of the car dispells the impression.
m.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
yeah, when i first saw the car i thought it was a modern version of the opel gt, an early 70's corvette, and a ferrari rolled up in one...
the opel gt was considered the poor mans corvette....a little before my time, maybe im wrong there....

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
evomind said:
... the opel gt was considered the poor mans corvette....a little before my time, maybe im wrong there....
When it was new, I don't think anyone seriously referred to the Opel GT as a poor man's Corvette. With it's puny 4-banger in the time of serious muscle cars and 427 L-88 Vettes, it was a cute oddity sold by Buick dealers. In its day, it was much like a Miata or MR2 Spyder is today, a fun little sporty car.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I've always loved the Opel GT. Steel unibody construction makes it relatively lightweight - VERY lightweight for its time. The 1.9 can pack a decent punch, too. So many of the 30,000 sold here have laid to waste in junkyards, it's sad. You can pick one up in decent condition for under $5k. I'd love to get one as a project car and cut drop a renesis rotary in it! :p

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
they called it the poor mans vette for exactly that.....
the styling and the little motor as opposed to the big chevy engine.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
evomind said:
they called it the poor mans vette for exactly that.....
the styling and the little motor as opposed to the big chevy engine.
Yep. What he said. I also remember them being referred to as a "Baby Vette"...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts