The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to put my finger on it for the past few months and finally I got it. The Elise looks like a future Opel Manta. The car came in a blue that was similar to Laser Blue as I recall..
Does anyone have pictures of one??
Sort of a miniature Corvette in a good way though..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Assume Perry was referring to the Opel GT .

Coincidentally I used to have a "white" one :D

If I can get my scanner working I will scan in an old (scary) picture.

Larry

Edit: None of my pics are as good as Stan's :clap:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
They were neat car...if memory serves there was a manual lever to roll over the lights. And small and "large" engine options. I like that power bulge on the hood that some had...sorta like some of the hipo Elans...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
no no no. have said i before, will say it again

ferrari 246

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
ah, i came SO close to buying one. it was a flashback moment when i first saw elise pix in the magazines a few years ago

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
When it approaches the viewer while climbing an incline, I think it looks reminiscent of a lambo miura.
it has to be approaching slowly though, otherwise the lightness of the car dispells the impression.
m.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
yeah, when i first saw the car i thought it was a modern version of the opel gt, an early 70's corvette, and a ferrari rolled up in one...
the opel gt was considered the poor mans corvette....a little before my time, maybe im wrong there....

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
evomind said:
... the opel gt was considered the poor mans corvette....a little before my time, maybe im wrong there....
When it was new, I don't think anyone seriously referred to the Opel GT as a poor man's Corvette. With it's puny 4-banger in the time of serious muscle cars and 427 L-88 Vettes, it was a cute oddity sold by Buick dealers. In its day, it was much like a Miata or MR2 Spyder is today, a fun little sporty car.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
I've always loved the Opel GT. Steel unibody construction makes it relatively lightweight - VERY lightweight for its time. The 1.9 can pack a decent punch, too. So many of the 30,000 sold here have laid to waste in junkyards, it's sad. You can pick one up in decent condition for under $5k. I'd love to get one as a project car and cut drop a renesis rotary in it! :p

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
evomind said:
they called it the poor mans vette for exactly that.....
the styling and the little motor as opposed to the big chevy engine.
Yep. What he said. I also remember them being referred to as a "Baby Vette"...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.