The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture on how to open the front bonnet on a Esprit?! I've read the manual and read online.... I cannot find it!!!

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
are you feeling under there, or did you stick your head under to take a look?

http://www.espritfactfile.com/Gen_Info.html
Opening the Bonnet It may sound like a silly topic. That is, until you try to do it for the first time. You will sitting there wondering, where the heck the "hood release" is located. But you won't find it, because there isn't one. At least not one that looks like anything you may be used to seeing.
Leave it to an exotic car, or call it British charm, but the hood release is one of the more non-standard pieces of automotive hardware I have seen in recent cars. Once you have found it and used it, it will feel natural. Finding it is the only real problem. Just look for a thin U-shaped piece of wire on the driver's side, underneath the dash. Swing the wire down and forward and the bonnet will unlock, allowing you to open it by lifting from the end nearest the windshield. To close it again, gently lower the bonnet, and then swing the wire forward as far as it will go, then backward until it latches. Don't worry, it really is simpler than it sounds.
Item 26

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/beginners.html
http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EBuying/driving.html

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
well if you do stick your head under the dash, remember to remove the roof so your feet go out the top of the car, and that is what we call the "Lotus Position". For future reference.

Also, when working under the dash, it is best to remove the seat. Makes the Lotus position much more comfortable!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Also, when working under the dash, it is best to remove the seat. Makes the Lotus position much more comfortable!
I was in the position today! It's best if you are not claustrophobic.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you find it? I can go out in the garage and try to snap a pic

NO! I was even as far in there as I could be with a flashlight. It's really a challenge to get under the Esprits dash. That would be awesome if you could!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't have my Esprit at home right now otherwise I would go take a picture for you.

the easiest way to describe it is to reach straight up where the dash board ends. as your hand comes down the leather on the dash ( on the left side of the steering wheel), you will feel where the dash board ends and the underbelly begins. haha. with you palm on the leather, your finger tips will likely just be able to feel the steel bar for the bonnet release. It might it even be smaller than the diameter of a pencil..... but thicker than a coat hangar wire.

once you find it, pull down and it will rotate downward and toward the front of the car to release.

I often open it while standing next to the car. It is a bit of a stretch though. To reach it, I'll have the driver's door open, lean down to the point where my face is pushed against paint of the A-pillar. then, I can reach my right hand in and under the dash to reach the release.

Once you find it, you laugh at the trouble you went through.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have my Esprit at home right now otherwise I would go take a picture for you.

the easiest way to describe it is to reach straight up where the dash board ends. as your hand comes down the leather on the dash ( on the left side of the steering wheel), you will feel where the dash board ends and the underbelly begins. haha. with you palm on the leather, your finger tips will likely just be able to feel the steel bar for the bonnet release. It might it even be smaller than the diameter of a pencil..... but thicker than a coat hangar wire.

once you find it, pull down and it will rotate downward and toward the front of the car to release.

I often open it while standing next to the car. It is a bit of a stretch though. To reach it, I'll have the driver's door open, lean down to the point where my face is pushed against paint of the A-pillar. then, I can reach my right hand in and under the dash to reach the release.

I can't wait to laugh about it.. I want to get in there to check some fuses! My actual headlights stopped working but the brights work. HAHA :UK:

·
Registered
860 Posts
the funny thing is that I never realized that I was pressing my face against the outside of the a-pillar. I always wondered why I'd see a smudge on the paint every now and again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Worked like a charm! Now I feel dumb.. I was looking for a small wire that you had to pull. After finding it it all makes sense.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Woohoo!!!

I'm glad you were able to understand my description. I wasn't sure if i made it totally clear.
Perfectly clear. I can't believe I had trouble opening that.. I would imagine if you have never done it then you will have trouble as well though

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
When I drove from CO to TN to buy my Esprit, back in 2000, I couldn't drive a manual transmission, so I took my friend.

On the test drive, him driving, he couldn't find the horn or turn off the wipers (intermittent stuck on), I had to call my friend with an X180-R back in CO to ask him how to do those things... Once we found the horn button (on the end of the turn stalk on my 89SE btw) we were driving down the highway in Nashville playing "God Save the Queen" on the 4! air horns:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts