The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased an Elise :clap:that is 1300 miles away and am trying to decide on open or enclosed transport or fly down and drive back. Any opinions? Any carrier recommendations? Any feedback on driving that long of a trip? The car only has 12000 miles and I don't know if I want to increase the mileage by 10% on a ride back....

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
I had mine shipped down enclosed from Seattle to Tuscon. There is far less chance of silliness if you ship it enclosed. If it had only been 1300 miles I would have driven. As far as increasing the ODO by 10% goes, you have to ask whether you are buying for a museum piece, like the previous owner evidently, or to drive. I DD mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Stop being a wuss and drive it. How else are you going to know if its up to the task. Plus the drive will be wicked fun!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I opted for enclosed, but mine had just a soft top. Does it have a hardtop? Cost was almost double for enclosed but I've heard horror stories with open carriers. Plus the enclosed guys usually are carrying nicer cars and are more careful with them. My salvage Elise was on top of a million dollar original Shelby!

·
Premium Member
12,005 Posts
Just drive it.

I often went between Miami and NJ stopping only for fuel. Same mileage.

Feel free to stop, tho....

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Just drove mine 1800 miles two weeks ago, it was a blast but my back STILL HURTS!
1300 miles your first time out may be too much of a good thing...

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think every member here will feel they dont get to drive their car enough...what an opportunity you have....drive the thing.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
I opted for enclosed, but mine had just a soft top. Does it have a hardtop? Cost was almost double for enclosed but I've heard horror stories with open carriers. Plus the enclosed guys usually are carrying nicer cars and are more careful with them. My salvage Elise was on top of a million dollar original Shelby!
That's funny, my Elise arrived in an enclosed trailer behind a three year old Kia SUV...I don't think Kia used enclosed shipping across the Pacific.

·
Registered
581 Posts
drive, drive, drive, drive, drive!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

:shift::shift::shift::shift:

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
519 Posts
Portland Oregon to Seminole FL on a carrier

This is about as far as you can go across the USA and in an open carrier. The car arrived in pristine condition except for all the mud. This was right before Christmas through a lot of snow in much of the Midwest. Cost? $1000.00. Well worth it. I went with the dealers guy's but if I were going it on my own, I liked Doug with Magic Carpet Auto Transport the best
Phone: 360-853-2825 ext 7050
Fax: 360-838-2396
Email: [email protected]
www.magiccarpetautotransport.com

These cars are not for long interstate trips in my opinion. Sustained high RPM's = unnecessary engine stress (4 grand in 6th gear to do 80 mph?) and the noise is an issue after a while. But I'm old now. I did NYC to Huntsville AL and back in a 1968 426 Hemi Charger with a 4 speed. (5 grand in fourth to do 80 with a 1.78 to 1 "desert rear" I installed just for the trip). The 411 rear was out of the question!

·
Registered
205 Posts
BS due to the driving, I did 2200 miles in my second elise that I bought and than WA to NJ a year later due to the issues with shipping from my first elise. Although I did get my first speeding ticket ever in my life from WA to NJ but it was fun.
This is about as far as you can go across the USA and in an open carrier. The car arrived in pristine condition except for all the mud. This was right before Christmas through a lot of snow in much of the Midwest. Cost? $1000.00. Well worth it. I went with the dealers guy's but if I were going it on my own, I liked Doug with Magic Carpet Auto Transport the best
Phone: 360-853-2825 ext 7050
Fax: 360-838-2396
Email: [email protected]
www.magiccarpetautotransport.com

These cars are not for long interstate trips in my opinion. Sustained high RPM's = unnecessary engine stress (4 grand in 6th gear to do 80 mph?) and the noise is an issue after a while. But I'm old now. I did NYC to Huntsville AL and back in a 1968 426 Hemi Charger with a 4 speed. (5 grand in fourth to do 80 with a 1.78 to 1 "desert rear" I installed just for the trip). The 411 rear was out of the question!

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
I just had my car shipped via Montway. I originally ordered a closed container, but after 2 weeks the pickup hadn't even been scheduled. When I called, they told me that closed containers only account for about 5% of their fleet. If you're going closed, don't do Montway or you're likely going to be waiting awhile.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Ship enclosed or drive yourself :)

Don't ship open.
+1.

Drive it. That's the best way to start your relationship with the new car. Break it into two or three days and have fun with it. I have fond memories from the trips to get my Elises and Exige.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought an 05 with 1,200 miles on it last year. It is a great car in great condition but had been sitting in a garage for a long time and driven very seldom. I flew from NJ down to VA to get it and when I test drove it the check engine light came on. The fuel injectors were clogged because the gas was old. I flew home without the car so the owner could have the injectors replaced. The second time I flew down to get it I had a minor problem on the way home. The headlight button was not working all the time. The Elise has a half dozen or so of this little push button switches and they do fail over time. Once I got the headlights on, I just left them on the rest of the way home and didn't have any more problems.

Having said all that; I would drive the car home. But I would check it out carefully to make sure everything was working. There is no way you want to be stuck on the side of the road with one of these cars. Make sure your cell phone has wifi and you can connect to the forum. If I got stuck out of town, I would be on the forum asking for help from any Elise owner that happened to be close.
Hopefully our drive will be uneventfull.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, as DDJ74 mentioned, it couldn't go open carrier. I had trouble finding an enclosed carrier that could pick up within the next 3-4 weeks....I am patient but that seemed Long. I was checking for flights and prepping for a long ride back when the shipper that the dealer recommended (and was struggling to find an enclosed anywhere nearby) called and had found an enclosed that could pick it up the next day. Should be here on Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I have purchased an Elise :clap:that is 1300 miles away and am trying to decide on open or enclosed transport or fly down and drive back. Any opinions? Any carrier recommendations? Any feedback on driving that long of a trip? The car only has 12000 miles and I don't know if I want to increase the mileage by 10% on a ride back....
Drive or enclosed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts