The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend recently introduced me to a different type of racing that had somehow run under my radar... OpenRoadRacing. While I know the Elise/Exige isn't designed for this type of racing, I thought it would still be fun to do one of these events in one of the slower speed classes (~105 mph).

This leads me to a number of questions that some of you more experienced racers will probably be able to help me out with:
First and foremost, for safety, I would need to do the following things - racing seats, harness bar, 6 point harness, fire extinguisher, nomex suit/gloves/shoes and full helmet. Anything else?
Second, can the Elise (or Exige S) run at higher speeds for 45 minutes at a time in the August desert without having overheating issues?
Has anyone else done one of these things? Pointers? My plan would be to run with a copilot.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Why would anyone in a Lotus, even remotely be interested in this? :shrug:

99% all pure, flat STRAIGHTS, with at most what ....3 "sweeping" (read, long, low/non-existent arc) "curves". :huh: I watched their "exciting" video, and very nearly fell asleep. Looked about as much fun as :sheep:

Turn in your Lotus club membership and keys please - on your way out. JMO. FWIW.

You wanna do this? Buy a Viper. Lame. Sheesh.

No offense. JMO.
Cheers,
-Grant

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I think I'd buy a few track days instead !!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, wow, didn't expect such a strong distaste for this. rotfl

Like I said, this is not a Lotus kind of event - I can see that plain as day. But in the interest of trying something new, I thought this looked interesting.

I do the autocross thing. I do track days. I really wish there were more time trial events (hill climbs) here in the Pacific Northwest, that is what I'm really interested in. This seemed the closest thing to it. I don't wanna do the wheel to wheel gig unless I'm in a cart. I'd prefer not to have my car smashed up by anyone other than me.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
LOL, wow, didn't expect such a strong distaste for this. rotfl

Like I said, this is not a Lotus kind of event - I can see that plain as day. But in the interest of trying something new, I thought this looked interesting.

I do the autocross thing. I do track days. I really wish there were more time trial events (hill climbs) here in the Pacific Northwest, that is what I'm really interested in. This seemed the closest thing to it. I don't wanna do the wheel to wheel gig unless I'm in a cart. I'd prefer not to have my car smashed up by anyone other than me.
Have you looked at NASA TT?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Im there!

Why would anyone in a Lotus, even remotely be interested in this? :shrug:
-Grant
Im interested. Why wouldnt i be? Just cause you drive 5mph below the speed limit doesnt mean i do. And oh no, no turns, so what, that just means that I wont have to deal with the horrible Lotus understeer.

Sign me up for the 150 run!

Hopefully its downhill so I can actually hit 150!

:coolnana:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts