The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many have had issues where the Evora trunk wouldn't open with either the remote control or the emergency release. In most cases the trunk does open after a few dozen tries while pulling or pushing on the lid.

Unfortunately sometimes nothing works. So, here are the "official" instructions from Lotus when all else fails. Unfortunately the process includes some destruction.

1. You will need at least two people and long arms with thin wrists. Expect to spend a few hours.
  2. First cut out and remove the l/h an r/h mesh on the sail panel. These will need to be replaced (part # l/h: C132U4103H, r/h: C132U4104H).
  3. You can now remove the bolts holding the hatch hinges.
  4. This makes it possible to push the hatch upward. A second person (the one with thin wrists) can now reach through the gap into the trunk to manually release the latch. A screwdriver may help.
  5. Voila, the trunk is open. :clap:
  6. Now isolate the cause of why the trunk release didn't work. Don't close the trunk until you are sure the mechanism works again.
  7. You can spend the days waiting until the replacement meshes come in cursing at Lotus for designing such a dismal latch.
  8. You will need to remove the sail panel to glue the new meshes in place.
  9. Reassembly requires some adjustments to make sure the hatch opens and closes freely.

·
Registered
220 Posts
FYI, the hatch bolts can be reached from going from underneath the car , no need to cut mesh . This is how dealer opened mine , still need long arms and two people :tadts:

·
Registered
604 Posts
For sure a good method, my dealer took out the rear glass when the car was taken in under warranty with this issue, didn't require breaking anything but I'm not quite sure how they did it.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI, the hatch bolts can be reached from going from underneath the car , no need to cut mesh . This is how dealer opened mine , still need long arms and two people :tadts:
Those must be very long (and thin) arms. But, if possible a great solution.

For sure a good method, my dealer took out the rear glass when the car was taken in under warranty with this issue, didn't require breaking anything but I'm not quite sure how they did it.
I guess you mean the inside rear window. The outside rear window is bonded in place. You could cut it out, but that reinstallation would likely be much more expensive than the mesh.

The mesh is quite inexpensive, so that was the best choice, particularly when taking labour costs into account.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Obviuosly they used extensions on a rachet , they called the Lotus factory and that was the solution direct from Lotus , remove pan from bottom then it's basically a straight shot up to the bolts , no fun regardless of how you do it , a key cylinder for the rear hatch would have solved everything especially since the emergency pull cable is junk and does not always work for various reasons, again lotus engineering at its best.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
FWIW, if you have headers you can probably get to them with a long (not not crazy) extension from the interior access panel. Would need a flex head and extension. The engine cover may get in the way. I don't have one, so I don't know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,
I just bought a 2011 base Evora and the trunk and the passenger door have a mind of their own. Yes 6 or more times to get the trunk to open.
What is the repair to make the trunk and the interior passenger door handle dependable?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hello,
I just bought a 2011 base Evora and the trunk and the passenger door have a mind of their own. Yes 6 or more times to get the trunk to open.
What is the repair to make the trunk and the interior passenger door handle dependable?
You'll need to take things apart and look to see what's loose or missing. Chances are it's something simple like a nut or bolt has gotten loose or fallen off. Tackle the trunk first - it's pretty straightforward to get to the latch mechanism and see what's going on. The door - check the DIY for door panel removal and then hopefully it too will be evident what's going on.

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts