The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home from travels, and my battery is (predictably for a Lotus) dead. This usually wouldn't be an issue, I would just use the emergency release under the back seat to open the rear, and jumpstart the battery.

However, the construction of the emergency release cable is terrible, and it finally decided to stop working.

I hear there's a way to open the rear without the emergency release — but similar to the Elise, we don't post this on the forums, as it allows people to break into the car.

Can someone send me a private message if you know of a way to open it without the emergency trunk release cable?

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I'll PM you with the fail-safe, but it only works if you've installed it beforehand.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
AS KCZ mentions, there are steps you can take prior to failure but once its stuck, things get much more difficult. First link below has one way to open it but you need a lift, tools, more than one person and lots of time. The rest of the links may help prevent future mechanical hatch issues...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/engine-compartment-lid-237273/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/boot-lid-release-problem-fix-117758/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/evora-trunk-lid-stuck-closed-solution-283625/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/my-2011-evora-2-2-trunk-lid-stuck-closed-149042/

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll PM you with the fail-safe, but it only works if you've installed it beforehand.
Please PM me as well... I seem to have a dead battery more often than not (lately), and I'd rather be prepared.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Done. I'd replace the battery and get a battery tender if I were you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Done. I'd replace the battery and get a battery tender if I were you.
Thanks bud.

Replacing the battery is a good idea, i'll do that this spring. I have a battery tender, just completely forgot to hook it up when I parked the car for winter :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Evora 2+2 a few weeks ago and haven't driven it in a week. Now the battery is dead and I can not get in the trunk. Has anyone figured out a way in to access the battery without going through all the work of the "engine compartment lid" thread?

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Have you tried the emergency release under the rear seat? Picture on page 106 (or thereabouts) of the owner's manual. And you really need to get a battery tender. I would recommend the Deltran Battery Tender. If you still have a OEM Varta battery, replace it, and hook the BT leads up to the new battery terminals while you're installing it. There are several threads here about recommended batteries.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interested in this as well. Can anyone PM me. I have my trunk torn apart, I prefer to have a preventative measure in place!

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Make sure you're pulling the handle towards the driver's side of the car, not towards the front.

If that isn't working, you could try and get a bit of juice into the battery through one of those cig lighter adapter chargers, but I don't know how effective they are. You could also remove the driver's side rear wheel and wheel liner, where you can access one of the battery distribution points and ground block.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
752 Posts
My battery is dead on my 2011 Lotus Evora and manual cable doesn’t work. I tried pushing it down etc. Any ideas
I'd have to look at another picture, but it doesn't look like your cable is locked into place (the sheeting part)

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I can send another pic. But I’m not sure where the cable should be locked into place. Definitely seems like it’s hanging loose.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
752 Posts
Your cable sheath isn't mounted in the retaining bracket. See images.
perfect pictures. sorry i was unable to take any of my car(its not at home right now) but that is definitely an issue.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Does anyone have any detailed instructions for opening the trunk through the bottom of the car. I keep hearing that i should loosen the hinges.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts