The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all; I'm new here. I've really loved Lotus cars since the first time I saw a picture of an Elise, but can remember years before that, as a kid, oggling an Esprit in some driveway I happened to pass. I'm really hoping that some day soon I'll be able to call a Lotus my own, but am having a hard time really focusing in on which would be best for me - especially because I've only had the fortune of driving an Evora S, and would have to drive both options before ever committing. These are, after all, cars meant to be driven.

There are a few questions / points that really come to mind. First, I've realized I only drive like 20 miles per week, so the daily driver issue is not of any concern - I kind of want a Lotus because it will excite me into driving more miles. Second, I live in Dallas, so the roads are not particularly windy or fun right around me and there is also the benefit a servicer within 20 miles of me. Because of that, I would like a car that has some warranty left, but am only looking at used options (prefer the older Elise style; can't begin to imagine how long it would take to save up for a new Evora S). I wouldn't be planning to mod or track either car, and am rubbish when it comes to most anything DIY for cars.

I've driven the Evora S and have never had so much fun in a car, and save for some rollercoasters have never gotten a bigger smile out of something on wheels. Some people have complained about long gear throws, and not enough power, but coming from a manual Wrangler, they seemed short and it seemed to fly. How does the Elise compare in its "quickness" feeling? I'm not overly concerned with the raw numbers, more about driving feel and if the Elise has enough pep, especially in the lower RPM range since a lot of my driving is around the city. How do the gearboxes compare? Is the handling in the Elise that much better than the Evora S - hard for me to imagine. It also seems like getting a good price on a used Elise would hold its value better / has taken a bigger depreciation hit, and Evoras' prices seem to just keep dropping while inventory keeps rising (maybe by the time I could make a move it would be more reasonable to buy a MY11 S, but then warranty becomes an issue again). With either one I'd ideally be looking for one with less than 5k miles, but given how few miles I drive this isn't my biggest concern.

I'm sure a lot of my questions could be answered by actually driving an Elise. If there's anyone in Dallas who'd be willing to let me drive, ride along, or even just check out to get a better feel of their Elise, that'd be great. If anyone has made the transition from one to the other, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the experience living with each. From what I've seen of local inventory, to make this dream come true, I'd probably have to get a car shippied in - does anyone know about how much this would cost? Sorry in advance if this is an annoying post, but I'm looking forward to becoming a real member of the community :) Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Interesting question...

Aside from the obvious differences-- price, ride quality, luxurious styling, fit and finish, amenities, bigger engine, massively more powerful engine, more comfortable seats, and a genrally more spacious offering the only real comparison you can make is the fun factor, which is about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Let me help you out Homes, there's nothing to compare between the Elise/Exige and the Evora. The Evora overall is better car, better performance, better handling, better craftsmanship and more confortable ,the only drawback is ugly as sin, If you can handle its looks, go for it, don't waste anyone's time test driving the other ones they are totally different cars, go Cowboys!!

EVORA

ELISE/EXIGE

P.S. Sorry I'm a visual person

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I also came from a Wrangler. I would say, and this sounds crazy, that the Wrangler and the Elise are as closely related as two cars could possibly be, save badge-engineered siblings. They both have that honest, home-made, visceral feeling. Both evoke extreme emotions and both stir enormous "want" from bystanders, but are paradoxically a bit on the difficult side to put up with.

The Elise is a targa-top, so you can cruise at night with the stars overhead. That's nice. The build quality and overall feel is that it's a toy though. If you have a girlfriend, she's not going to appreciate the loud drone, fidgety drive, and uncomfortable seats/ingress. It's like owning a motorcycle. It's small and unsophisticated, but it drives like it's insane.

The Evora is WAAAAAY nicer - comfortable, sophisticated, etc. You drove it. Much better overall proposition, but the fixed roof might be a deal-breaker.

If I had to do it over, I honestly would have gotten the Evora. Don't get me wrong, the Elise is mental and a total riot, but I wish it were a little more "grown-up" sometimes.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Evora gives me more confidence, and I can compare as I am owning an Evora for 1.5 years, before that I had an Elise R for 4 years. The longer wheelbase helps, and the Evora is as fast on twisty B roads as the Elise, we had several runs and I was never slowing down the runs.

Low RPM the Evora (both N/A and S) is way better than any Elise, my R was particularly bad and needed high RPM. You can't compare a 1.8l 4 cylinder engine against a 3.5l V6.

I miss nothing on my Evora other than the option to take the roof down, the Evora is the more complete car. However, it is - although not my DD now, but it was for one year - a car which gets driven all years round, including holidays, going to the alps for skiing, driving wifey and me to the golf course with two bags in the car... all things the Elise could not do.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Both Get one of each for their own advantages.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I somehow missed that anyone responded to this. Thank you everybody.

I wish I could simply get one of each - or even at the moment just one. That would make things so simple.

Thank you for the pictures. The first set were great references. Not sure where those were posted on the Lotus site but I had never seen them shot from those angles. Really a whole different look. I thought the Evora was beautifully aggressive but my does it have its good and bad side.

The one with the Elise and Evora gives me a better comparison of the size. Thanks, I'd been looking for that. Will still need to see in person just how small the little guys are.

I really don't think I would have any problem with the engine noise and such issues with the Elise.

The comparison between the jeep and Elise was unexpected and somehow makes sense. Right down to the top coming off. They have completely opposing purposes, but perhaps equate in their respective field.

I think I would enjoy the targa top but its not a deal breaker for me. The biggest things will be evaluating what I can afford and which I prefer to drive. Hopefully I can get answers to those questions in the next few months before the prices start climbing into spring.

Thanks again and I will update if and when I ever decide to (am able to) act.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Get both :)
I had the Elise, sold it for an Evora and once I got the evora the Elise was totally missed. Just purchased a 2010 Elise. I honestly can say that both cars are rare and must have.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've driven them both and I actually never looked at the Elise again after I got my own Evora. This was the first car I've ever purchased that I plan to never get rid of. The Elise was just too much "kit" car for me; and it felt like something was missing. It was so much fun that it didn't even feel legal! Something just wasn't right about it and driving it in large cities...like Dallas never made me feel safe. Keep that in mind in DFW where everyone has an SUV or F950!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I also came from a Wrangler. I would say, and this sounds crazy, that the Wrangler and the Elise are as closely related as two cars could possibly be, save badge-engineered siblings. They both have that honest, home-made, visceral feeling. Both evoke extreme emotions and both stir enormous "want" from bystanders, but are paradoxically a bit on the difficult side to put up with.
These are my two vehicles. I love them equally. There's nothing better then having the right tool for the right job!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Let me get this straight, are you trying to say the elise and evora LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME? because I think I would disagree with you -poke-

EVORA

ELISE/EXIGE

P.S. Sorry I'm a visual person

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rsamani, those are some beautiful cars. Are they both yours?

I saw a new SRT Viper at an auto expo in NY. I didn't get to spend too much time looking at it but my takeaway is that they did a fantastic job (especially with the interior) but that the back still looked pretty similar to the old and as a result a little bulky / dated compared to the sleek and aggressive lines on the rest of the car. But I bet that thing will haul. I wouldn't be looking at a new Evora any time soon though so there's that too.

Ramtin, did you see any difference between your two model year Elises? I'd be looking more for something like an 08-10 and was wondering if you noticed any difference in build or anything with old vs new. Were either SC?

As for all the damn F950s in DFW, the other day I overheard someone in my building talking about how the biggest limiting factor when picking his apartment was garage entry clearance because his truck couldn't clear most :confused::banghead: and here I am worrying about an Elise being too low to clear the exit ramp. I think the idea of an Elise with the vanity plate BIGRINTX would be hilarious. But then it comes down to the tool behind the wheel and I'm not sure I would want to be that guy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wish they were both mine. This was taken at last weekend local cars and coffee. It belongs to another LT member.(also local) I have an 05 so I can not comment on the difference but I can imagine it would be very minimal. Other argue that the later years were build better because production was a lot less and more attention to detail was put into the build.

I can definitely appreciate the better interior amenities on the evora if this was my daily driver. But as a low / reasonable cost toy car, the Elise is plenty fun.

Getting in and out of the car and seat comfort is definitely better on the evora, that much I can tell you as the owner(mark) was kind enough to let me jump in his car.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts