The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to run over a rock at the weekend, thought I`d gotten away with just a new splitter and a small repair of the front clam underside but on closer inspection I found this. Pretty pissed as another 1/2" back and it would`ve just been the engine undertray.

It`s mainly just the lip that the engine undertray slides into, I`ve tried to straighten it but its just starting to break away.

Cosmetic or more serious ??

Attachments

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Looks cosmetic to me, can you tell how far up the metal is deformed? If you track it I'd consider taking the panel off to be sure, if its a street car I'm sure you're fine.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would straighten it out as best as I could so the under tray fits well and go on with life. It will not affect the car any as there is no structural importance to a plate fitting over a lip. It is the bolts and holes that are important. The lip is just to make assembly easier so one person can install the panel without using their face or head or something silly to hole the panel in position. Just make it so the panel fits in and comes out easily and don't make a notch or something drastic that creates a hole or you will get extra crud up in there which will make removal / replacement of the panel a real pain in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, feel a bit better now.

I`ve straightened the lip as best I can (the lip is quite brittle though and easily breaks away) and the undertray now moves in and out of it freely. It`s definately dented the box section on that edge though but I`m guessing its not too structual as it has a big square cut through it for the gear cables to pass through ??

Attachments

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
That looks OK...even for a track car.
Yeah, I'd probably agree with that as well but if you're really hammering it you might want to take a little extra caution. But I think you're all good, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Take the surgery slow, get it as straight as you can... roll on. I'd say absolutely not serious at all. More of a fitment issue if anything. If you're hesitant to "hammer away" at it yourself, a good bodyman could likely work that metal and get it pretty straight. It is a little tricky getting metal to go back where it was originally after being stretched. Takes a bit of finesse, skill, and some luck. Another option may be a dentless repair guy. Although this isn't what they normally work on, nobody understands metal memory like those guys do.

In the end, certainly not a structural or serious problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts