The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im prolly gonna get bashed bad here so im strapping on my flame suite...

anyways, ive owned a 2006 mitsu evolution IX MR, currently in a 2001 m3... ive always wanted a extremely light platform with around 500-600 WHP obviously i would need some major tires and im strapping the dual layer suit on now because i dare say having to do a widebody, and the 4g63 is easily capable of these numbers... with pretty much just a good turbo kit..

The motor is definitely small and relativity light.. ive seen many 2.0 honda swaps and i wanted your guys opinion on swapping the 4g63 into a elise? I know it would be a lot of work, but i searched the forum and couldn't pull up anything about some1 thinking about this swap, most i saw were 6 cyl.

i would most likely buy a fully built motor from AMS

Automotosports, Inc. :: Evolution IV-IX Engine :: Evo IV-IX Crate Motors :: AMS EVO VIII/IX 2.3RR Crate Motor

if this was possible i would be willing to spend around 45k for the project. i dunn0 if this is realistic but 18k(elise /w no motor) 15k for entire motor, 5k for entire gt30r kit, 7k for ecu and shep racing transmission

the only thing is u think theres room for the trans?
Thanks Travis

·
Registered
438 Posts
the only thing is u think theres room for the trans?
Thanks Travis
thats the only question after all of that ? :) I'll get this in there before the flame's are flying:

yes, i work on a lot more evo's than anything at the shop and i certainly think you would be able to fit it, anything is customizable at the point of wanting to swap one of these in anyway. You just gotta do the opposite of removing the front axles to make it rwd since you'll be doing the exact opposite you need to block off from the Tcase to the rear since you wont be using the driveshaft/rear end.

the worst part really is that the 4963 motor and trans actually is that much heavier than the 2zz w/trans and it would be easier to do the mr2 turbo trans swap or get a stronger gear set and make plenty of power on a built 2zz. It wouldnt be the same car with that much more weight and power...i personaly wouldnt want a turbo right behind the firewall in the lotus.

i would go after a different platform like the GM ecotec motor since you can make plenty of power and be able to do anything like use a nice strong getrag gearbox that they make for them.

yes, i already know i do excelent work on photo's.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've had 2 4g63 powered cars, while they are a good power maker, they also have a noteworthy reputation for blowing up. To me it wouldn't be worthwhile swap if u like driving the car. However if u enjoy working on it often, have at it! Granted I'm looking at this from a DD perspective.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oh man...

First off, you would be best served trying this with the 4G63 out of a Eclipse GS-T, since the trans and orientation might make things a bit more simple. (Front wheel drive easier to swap into the Elise)

That is a assuming the rest of the swap in general would be easy, which it wont. Why do you want 600hp in an Elise? Have you driven one with stock hp levels? Or are you just bench racing right now? Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Its funny the masses in this world assume the only place to get a built Evo motor is AMS. That, combined with the widebody comment, leads me to believe you are a younger kid. NO issues with that, Im just trying to diagnose how realistic your ambitions are.

And no, your costs would be well above 45k.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Why swap in a 4g63 when the lighter 2zz can make that power for less money, and wthout an engine swap?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Why swap in a 4g63 when the lighter 2zz can make that power for less money, and wthout an engine swap?
You just didnt say the 2zz will make 500-600 hp for cheaper than a 4g63 did you? Really, do you honestly believe that? I really hope you mean it will be cheaper because of the engine swap cost.

Jesus I thought this guy was gone... rotfl

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I personally love turbos, but I would never put one in an elise/exige because the non-linear throttle response would get you into alot of trouble in corners, and if you want a straightline car there are pleanty of other good options(datsun 510s are nice for that)

also if you are gonna get a 4g63 make sure you buy a leash... you know, for when your crank goes for a walkrotfl

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
You just didnt say the 2zz will make 500-600 hp for cheaper than a 4g63 did you? Really, do you honestly believe that? I really hope you mean it will be cheaper because of the engine swap cost.

Jesus I thought this guy was gone... rotfl
Yes, yes, he did say that.
rotfl

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Considering EVO IX's have gotten into the 10's on stock turbos and on stock motors, no.

The 2zz is a weak motor in stock trim for boost. Hasn't gone above 415 whp or so stock.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts