The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Opinions on BOE rear engine mount

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  TachItUp 
#1 ·
Anyone replace their rear engine mount only with the BOE one? What has been your experience? Are you experiencing too much vibration?

#3 ·
Rear is like 50x easier to change so it wouldn't hurt to do just it first.

I changed front and rear from a different after market mount and they are way less vibration. I never had stock, but there is no way that I could characterize them as "too much" vibration.

#4 ·
I have the 75A rear only from BOE, and it's only mildly annoying at idle with AC on if you pay attention to it.
The first 1000 miles were bad with vibration starting around 800rpm to 2600 rpm, where it would resonate the aluminum chassis to the point where it's as louder than stock exhaust.

Car shifts nicer and drives better, though.

#6 ·
I tried it, installed it and then took it out the next day. Horrible vibration and noise that would resonate throughout the chassis. To be fair, it wasn't in long enough to break in, but I had my doubts that even when broken in it wouldn't be acceptable, plus the agony of driving it to get it to the point. Perhaps it wouldn't be as bad with the top off? The shift feel and throttle response was wonderful, though.

I went to the poly inserts instead, no regrets. Primarily track car that gets driven to and from the track, if I trailered it, I'd do the poly mounts without question. Street use? No way.

However this all is subjective, and what is unacceptable to me may be no concern to the next guy.

#7 ·
I installed mine today. Everything I read about in the forums happened. Throttle response and shifting is markedly improved. The care has much more noise and vibration than before. Before it had none. Above 4000 RPM it is fine. At around 2600 RPM it sets up a resonance in the chassis. There is a vibration at idle. I am hoping these things will improve with time.

#8 ·
I have just the rear mount from BOE. I talked to them about it and they recommended that I loosen all the bolts around the mount and start the engine, letting it idle for a little bit so that the mount can "settle". Also, they told me to rev the engine a few times and then fasten all the bolts. Currently, I have put about 700 miles on the car since then and the vibration is better. However, it can still be pretty loud around 2000 RPMs but nothing at Idle or at higher rpm's (4000+). I was also getting vibration from the under tray and diffuser. I installed some Dynamat on these which has helped.

The throttle response and shifting are so much better than with the stock rubber engine mounts. It is worth it for that alone IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I put a few hundred miles on a couple different mounts to give them time to settle. As previously stated, shifting improves at the expense of NVH. I tried to convince myself that the trade-off was worth it, but since my car is 100% street I decided to go back to stock. If you track your car often then I believe the mounts are worth the annoying vibration at idle.

#10 ·
I have the BOE front and rear mounts.

More buzz, much better shifting response.

Worth the compromise to me, but I don't daily drive the car.

#12 ·
I have the rear and I didn't really notice much difference tbh. a little vibration at low rpms and maybe a bit at the 2500 rpm point (rear window vibrations/etc.). But really it kind of makes the car feel more like a proper sports car in a way ... but this is me coming from a pretty strung out fast caterham with no creature comforts (except a heater) so take that in mind.

#15 ·
Bumping this.

My intercooler duct cracked only one month after removing the rear poly inserts. Now I want to put them back in... but is there a softer unit than the Innovative? I remember hearing some have used just a half side of the insert, but that sounds like it would damage the stock rubber.

When I had my MR2 Turbo, Toyota had installed a LARGE rubber ballast weight on the subframe near the rear motor mount. That really helped with vibrations.

#17 ·
I am assuming it cracked because of the additional engine rocking.

To be honest, it happened after a pretty hard canyon run. I was really hard on the throttle and braking... when I got home I noticed an addition rattle at idle.

Kind of hard to tell from the picture, but it cracked where is goes into the slot.

Automotive exterior Vehicle door Auto part Windshield Glass

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.