The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is in the shop for some body work and repaint following some road debris damage. I'm having the front seam filled in as many others have done. I also am having the rear clam repainted and have a question. Would it look strange to fill in the clam seam behind the rear tire? Body shop guy isn't sure it would look good as you will still have the seam in front of the rear tire where the clam mates up. Thoughts? Also what about getting rid of the little fins beside the tail lights?

Also what about getting rid of the little fins beside the tail lights?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I like it seamless.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I do also, just wanted to see what others thought. I am thinking about doing the rear grill delete also, but that is a bit more body work so I'm not sure what the shop would charge for that.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Alan had his fins removed (among many other changes to his car over time) and it looked nice.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/gut-wing-rear-clam-mod-et-al-18315/

As far as filling the rear seam, IDK. I think I kind of agree with your shop guy unless you fill in the seam in front of the wheel also. Filling that seam would keep you from being able to remove the rear clam if needed.

If you have a clear bra there will still be a visible line, albeit not nearly as visible as the seam.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
One thought I had, maybe the seems are there for a reason - as the car twists , accelerates , brakes through the twisties maybe there needs to be some movement and play in the body panels or they would crack. So if there is movement and you seal those seems could they potentially crack ?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
As to the seam (and whether the small seam forward of the wheelwell would look odd), just check out any Exige:
5227sm.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts