The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

They are SSR GT2. They weigh about 16 lbs in 17 inch size and come in different colors. I hope they make fitments for the elise.

Right now I'm debating between a black elise with bronze rims or a silver one with black rims.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I submit to you the following observation:

Like many of you I have searched for new pictures of the Liz in various colors and found many. Of those pictures I have found very few (only two) with wheels that were other than factory. Why do so few Elise owners choose to change the original factory rims?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Maybe most Elise owners are into the driving experience and the looks are secondary (though not incidental, hence all the debate over S1 vs S2 styling). Playing with the Lotus engineered suspension is likely to result in worse handling; not better. I don't think many wheels are lighter than the 111S 8 spoke wheels except for magneisium wheels that are not practical for the street.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Derek said:
I submit to you the following observation:

Like many of you I have searched for new pictures of the Liz in various colors and found many. Of those pictures I have found very few (only two) with wheels that were other than factory. Why do so few Elise owners choose to change the original factory rims?
I like the Lotus wheels, wouldn't even consider a change. I'm a bit confused when reading several threads I've seen about all the plans to "upgrade" the Elise. I'm buying the car because I think the Lotus engineers did a fine job, not because I think they didn't and the I am just the guy to do it right. That thinking kind of boggles me.

It seems if you're the type that likes to rebuild, redesign, and fiddle with cars you could stretch you wings and have alot more fun starting with something cheaper and more imperfect than an Elise. BTW to the guy who started this thread don't consider this a shot at you, it's meant as a very general comment.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
James A said:
16 pounds sounds heavy to me, is that typical for a 17 inch wheel?
That's fairly light. The lightest you'll find for a 17" wheel (unless you go crazy with Magnesium or something) is in the 13lb range (Racing Hart CP-035, SSR Comps). I have some Enkeis that are 15lb, and I still consider that very light. My other wheels are 17lb, and that's not heavy by most standards. Once you get to the 19-20lb range, I call those heavy.

Snowman: Wheels aren't really a modification. Partly it's just a practical aspect. Many car enthusiasts need more than one set of wheels (I have 4 sets for my current car), and OEM wheels are typically much more expensive than comparable aftermarket wheels. You can also go lighter and wider with aftermarket wheels for improved performance.

About modifying cars in general... Well, some people just like to do that. These are still mass produced cars that need to appeal to a large group of people, use relatively cheap parts to keep the price reasonable, and meet legal requirements. Any car can be improved to match your own preferences. People modify cars that are much more expensive than an Elise.

·
Registered
648 Posts
As the Fed Elise only needed to change emission and safety aspects to meet Fed requirements, I can't imagine they would change anything else. This would mean the bolt pattern will be that same as it is now, 4 bolt.

The 111s wheels are nice but there are few tyre options for them. This is one of the primary reasons people are changing the wheels. Of course these are mainly track goers who want to improve their laptimes and keep up with higher horsepower but much heavier cars. The Elise catches them in corners so suspension, brakes and tyres are essential upgrades.

Basically there are very few wheels that fit the Elise with it's offset. Afterall, you're buying a British car with a small production quantity.

·
Registered
607 Posts
James A said:
16 pounds sounds heavy to me, is that typical for a 17 inch wheel?
17" CE28Ns for the S2000 are ~13 lbs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sownman said:
I like the Lotus wheels, wouldn't even consider a change. I'm a bit confused when reading several threads I've seen about all the plans to "upgrade" the Elise. I'm buying the car because I think the Lotus engineers did a fine job, not because I think they didn't and the I am just the guy to do it right. That thinking kind of boggles me.

It seems if you're the type that likes to rebuild, redesign, and fiddle with cars you could stretch you wings and have alot more fun starting with something cheaper and more imperfect than an Elise. BTW to the guy who started this thread don't consider this a shot at you, it's meant as a very general comment.

Regards

Steve
No offense taken. I really don't care too much for the stock elise wheels. About the only thing I don't care for about the car. I will only replace the rims with something lighter. I have no plans to go wider or larger. Tires will remain the same as well. I see no fault at changing the rims to an identical size, but lighter weight. If it adds a bit of style IMO, that is a plus as well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The other reason people change to wider rims/tyres is that the elise is notoriously easy to lock up. Now with the fed elise having ABS, I'm sure this won't be a problem, but, the narrow tyres create an immense amount of understeer.

I'm sure if some people start to upgrade, and then other owners get to try out upgraded cars, they too will go down that route. It's just about making a fantastic base model of a car even better. If you've got the cash to spend then why not?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Jon said:
I will only replace the rims with something lighter. I have no plans to go wider or larger. Tires will remain the same as well. I see no fault at changing the rims to an identical size, but lighter weight. If it adds a bit of style IMO, that is a plus as well.
That is EXACTLY what I want to do for the SAME reasons. :) I will have the same tires, same suspension, but lighter wheels.
So assume I can find an aftermkt wheel with the same offset and size as the Elise stockers. Then how will replacing the stock non-LSS wheels with lighter aftermarket wheels affect the handling/ride? Any disadvantages?

P.S. Sorry if this particular setup question has already been answered.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I don't see a disadvantage other than fragility on potholes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts