The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm getting a full re-paint on my S2 JPS. The wheels are not original. They are Simmons. Good wheels, but they look a bit out of place at the moment, so I'm considering having them painted gold, as per the originals.

However, the two guys that are doing the re-paint are insisting that I should only get the inside portion painted gold, and polish up the outsides to a shine. Here are the wheels and a big pic:

The guys tell me that they have in mind the Esprit Turbo BBS wheels and their silver / gold effect. Something like this:

The originals look like this:

Thoughts??

thanks.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I have to say that the idea of doing just the interior in gold does look better than the whole wheel in gold. Mostly because there is not alot going on for the wheel, and it is a pretty "blank face" if you know what I mean. Alot of surface area with very little detail/buisness going on. So with that in mind, gold interior with silver exterior would look good.

Now to take it one step further, I also think it would look good if you did a bright silver lip, with the flat surfaces painted gold on the interior, and then the "edges" of the star in black. It would give it more dimension then just doing a completely gold interior. Or if not a black edge, a sliver one to blend into the silver lip.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I actually think all gold would look better. There is really nothing else on the car to go with the polished wheels and I think it would look odd that way. Your bottom pic with the all gold wheels looked the best to me.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I agree with the idea of "blank face" and add dimension with gold & silver and perhaps black. That would enhance the multi levels of the wheels... Nice looking wheels, BTW.

No other polished (silver) color to to tie into is also a good point.

Use photoshop, or equivalent, and create a few mock-ups... Maybe even reduce their size and digitally "replace" them on a full car view?

Why are you doing a full repaint? Photo looks pretty good to me.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I'd say all gold in this case.

No desire to go back to the original wheels? Not sure what it would cost to buy them used, but I don't like your current wheels in any color.

The combo on the Bond car looks soooooo good with those white letters, those deliciously deep dished wheels and impossibly fat rubber. Not saying that would look good on your JPS though.

The JPS cars are really cool in their own right, and stock is the way to go IMO.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
all gold.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I would omit the gold JPS stripes for now, and leave the wheels as-is. If you someday find a set of the original gold wheels, the add the stripes and gold wheels.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I like the 2 tone better. Not sure how it would look on those wheels, though. the goldcenter/ polished lip really looks best on a mesh-style wheel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that was helpful in knowing there's not one right answer :)

Why are you doing a full repaint? Photo looks pretty good to me.
It's a little worse than it looks. There's a big scrape around the back right that would have required a partial re-paint, and would have looked like crap. It's also had a couple of pretty average re-paints to the bonnet, so all up it seemed worth the cash for me. Found a bloke to do it cheap, with a good rep.

No desire to go back to the original wheels? Not sure what it would cost to buy them used, but I don't like your current wheels in any color.
I'll pick up a set when I see them, but they are pretty difficult to come by. In the mean time I want the current wheels to complement the car better. I'm told I have access to better tyres with these wheels too, so they may be the day-to-day wheels even after I locate the originals.

Thanks for your thoughts all... need to procrastinate I think. And perhaps pull out the old Photoshop skills.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Modular wheels always seem to look lousy to me when the spun outer rims are painted the same colour as the centers, so If it were my car I would go polished on the outer rim and gold in the center section.

To paint them properly , the allen head capscrews that hold the wheel together need to be removed so they dont get painted.

The original all gold Speedlines were beyond cool, but as the type 79 F1 car had Speedlines with gold centers and polished rims your car would relate to that well If you mimiced that look.

·
Registered
320 Posts
For some reason I cannot edit my previous post to add this photo to further illustrate what I mean about the wheels.:huh:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For some reason I cannot edit my previous post to add this photo to further illustrate what I mean about the wheels.:huh:

That is brilliant - it would look almost the same! thanks.

Black centers on those simmons might look good on your black jps.
I think this would look a bit too much like a Transformer...

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Two tone.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Gold with polished lips, if you really have to do anything. To be honest, I feel your current wheels look quite nice as-is. I think Lotus went a bit overboard with the gold on the original car, and the wheels were too much. Heresy, I know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, I managed to get the original wheels and they are being painted gold next week. Don't suppose anyone knows the original paint colour code for the JPS wheels? They'll do a colour match, but thought I'd ask just in case.

thanks.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts