The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would bounce this off of you guys to get your opinion. I recently had a header mounted on my car by one of the few places here in Indianpolis that I can take my car to. Prior to them mounting the header, I asked them for a quote, to which they gave me. I wasn't told that this was an approximation but that this is what it would cost...period, so no ball park estimate. I also had some other work done while I was there, so when I got the bill, I kind of glanced over it, paid and went on my way, partially b/c they were running over an hour behind on getting my car done and it was 6:30 already. Long story short, after looking at the bill, I was charged about 70 bucks more than they quoted me for the header.
Already the exhaust is making noise and sounds loose, and I have called twice re. the billing...Once the owner said he didn't want to get in the middle of it essentially, but he thought the extra cost was attributed to a couple bolts they had trouble with...(in my opinion poor service, let me waste more of your time Mr. Customer), then call # 2 was the shop manager didn't have time to discuss b/c he had to take his daughter to soccer, call #3 which was today sounded like this..."We're really busy, Terry is out sick, and Sarah the Administrative Asst. isn't in.

Bottom line is this, I think their customer service is a little pathetic and secondly the price was stated up front, but then changed...ummm bait and switch??? What happens when they quote me a price for an oil change, but they have trouble removing the dipstick???

Sorry for the long message.

Andy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not sure about your state, but in California, it is illegal to change the quote price unless they get you to sign a new quote, or get a verbal approval over the phone.

Since there was no initial/official quote, I'm not entirely sure where that leaves you..

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
when i quote prices i try to get it as exact as i can, and if i am going to go over that number i call to verify it is ok. sorry to hear you had problems. I am in the chicago area, but if i can ever be of any help to you please feel free to contact me, i do work on several Lotus' in the indy area, and the members of C.H.I.L.L. (club house for indy lotus lovers) all know me if you want some refrences.

good luck,
T.J.
Fox Valley Motorcars
[email protected]
630-654-9000

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Well, I can see adding some extra labor if they run in to some rusted-in bolts, or whatever... but they certainly should have contacted you about it.

What I can't believe is that they are not falling all over themselves to investigate the possible exhaust problem. In today's business climate, that's just stupid of them.

And giving you the runaround by phone? Inexcusable.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input...I really appreciate it. I spoke with them today and they are going to fix it. Still getting the runaround on the overcharge, but was told they would make it up somewhere. I hope this isn't shop code for "we'll just overcharge him on something else to recoup the expense" As someone mentioned, it's prolly time to take it elsewhere like Fox Valley of back to Auto Europe...far away, but well worth it for me.

Enjoy the weekend,

Andy

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
OK, well, questions for you:

did you get the quote in writing?
did you pay with a Visa?

if you did both of those you can have a chargeback filed on your behalf by providing a copy of the quote and then a copy of the bill. This would force the merchant to either fess up and tell you WHY there is a difference, or give you the money back.

if you don't have the quote, then Visa can't help.

if you paid with an AMEX, they will send you a form that you bring to the vendor where they have to explain why they overcharged you.

good luck ninja

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.