The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a bunch of minor modifications to my car - most of which a buyer would never notice, or would at least probably prefer (black painted console/HVAC to match door sills and trim, leather e-brake gaiter, HID, etc). HOWEVER, a couple mods are not quite as subtle:

1 - Side mesh vents (artfully done by dgilmore)

2 - FF Half carbon front lip spoiler (I think it cleans up the look of the front end immensely, and has saved the front end from many driveway scrapes, but others might not?)

Other than that everything "looks" stock - as I generally prefer the factory look.

What do you think... should I yank em, or sell as is? Would visible mods hurt the resale?

(I only ask because I'm selling)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Everyone has a thought on this but I would part it out and try to sell the items you think will draw money like the lip spoiler, etc. Other items like the hvac won't get much so I wouldn't bother...

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
So, I have a bunch of minor modifications to my car - most of which a buyer would never notice, or would at least probably prefer (black painted console/HVAC to match door sills and trim, leather e-brake gaiter, HID, etc). HOWEVER, a couple mods are not quite as subtle:

1 - Side mesh vents (artfully done by dgilmore)

2 - FF Half carbon front lip spoiler (I think it cleans up the look of the front end immensely, and has saved the front end from many driveway scrapes, but others might not?)

Other than that everything "looks" stock - as I generally prefer the factory look.

What do you think... should I yank em, or sell as is? Would visible mods hurt the resale?

(I only ask because I'm selling)

Thanks!
Visual mods, done tastefully and with restraint, probably won't hurt resale beyond a specific cosmetic mod, that's irreversible or expensive to put back, being off putting to a specific would be buyer.

I think the issue more is that with perhaps some exceptions, most mods won't actually ADD to the value or saleabilty of the car, so you'd make off better financially but putting the car back to stock, get the same $$$ you would get for it with the mods, then sell the mods separately. That would be the gravy in the deal for you.

Example for me: I have a body colored, CF Cup roof on my Exige. If I were to sell it now, I'd probably get the same for the car whether it had the Cup roof on it or the OEM roof...so before putting on the market I'd put the OEM roof back on, and sell the cup roof separately. There is NO market at all for an OEM Exige roof being sold by itself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think the issue more is that with perhaps some exceptions, most mods won't actually ADD to the value or saleabilty of the car, so you'd make off better financially but putting the car back to stock, get the same $$$ you would get for it with the mods, then sell the mods separately. That would be the gravy in the deal for you.
My opinion differs on this. On my last car, I paid a premium for the very non-subtle modifications on the car. Example is the aftermarket aero kit and spoiler. I didn't pay the 10 thousand + dollars that the previous owner paid, but it did attract me to the car and I did pay more than I would have paid for another car without the kit. Same goes for the wheels, tires, intake, painted dash, ect.

When I sold it, I solt it at at least 25% more than non-similarly equipped OEM cars would have sold for. I would try to sell the car as a whole package. Even if it doesn't fetch more money, it may be the closer on your deal.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys... I know I won't make back the money I put into it, but I'm not overly concerned about that. I'm just trying to see if these (reversible) mods would HURT the sale, as in either drive away prospective buyers, or require a sale BELOW what a bone-stock car would go for. I guess not, which is good news... I'd much prefer not to go through the effort of reverting to stock, that way I can drive it as I like it up until the day I sell it...

Overall, I think everything I've done (with the chin spoiler as the only debatable point) is a subtle improvement on stock - most people would never know mine wasn't factory unless they knew exactly what a normal stocker looked like. And even then they'd probably wonder if the stocker was just a cheaper model ;)

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback! Now I just need to find the time to take the proper shots :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would revert back to stock (as much as possible) and sell the aftermarket parts separately.

You will generally recover more money this way.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would revert back to stock (as much as possible) and sell the aftermarket parts separately.

You will generally recover more money this way.
No doubt.

However, the few hundred I could get from selling the parts really isn't worth the time it would take to pull them, pack and ship in proper oversized containers (the chin spoiler is not small)... plus the cost of new stock side intake vents I'd need to reinstall. I'd rather just sell as-is and let the new owner keep or sell those at their leisure.

:p

I'm not really selling this car to get top dollar, mostly just to clear garage space for a new toy (and lose the car payments along the way :panic: )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts