The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Noob here and hopefully acquiring my first Elise this week. I have been lurking awhile. I do have a few questions, is there any way to decode the VIN to determine a cars options? Such as Touring or Track or both? I have located a one owner elise that is for sale at a non-lotus dealer. The car was acquired through auction by the dealer 2 months ago. It was purchased in April 06 at Chriswell and lived its life in Centerville Va (very close to VIR...hmmmm). As a matter of fact it has an extinguisher already mounted but aside from that appears stock. Any worries if this car has seen track work? I can tell it has the Touring pack, leather yada yada. And it does have black wheels that might indicate the track pack. The tires however ar not A048s. I am sure these were replaced by the PO as the tires appear new, but are the touring tires. The car has about 8000 miles on it with a scratch on the front of the right rear wheel arch, in the paint and the starshield. Also there are a couple of scratches along the lower portion of the front fascia. The color is CO which is the primary color I am leaning towards with black leather, soft top and no hardtop(sigh can always purchase later). The carfax came back clean, that doesn't realy mean much. I have asked the the dealer to have a ECU dump performed at the Lotus dealer about an hour away from them, as well as going over the car. I still have not heard back from them on this yet. Also is there anything under the driver and passenger door sills that would require the sill covers to be removed? The reason I ask is the passenger door sill had about a foot of the weather striping hanging out that ripped off when the passenger door was opened, and it appears the drivers side has been off as well. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
Lane

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
is there any way to decode the VIN to determine a cars options? Such as Touring or Track or both?
Nope.

Any worries if this car has seen track work?
Not in my opinion.

Also is there anything under the driver and passenger door sills that would require the sill covers to be removed? The reason I ask is the passenger door sill had about a foot of the weather striping hanging out that ripped off when the passenger door was opened, and it appears the drivers side has been off as well.
There's nothing under there but sharp edges of the chassis. The double-stick foam tape comes out all on it's own. They all do that, sir --- TADTS

·
Registered
9,273 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The tires however are not A048s. I am sure these were replaced by the PO as the tires appear new, but are the touring tires. The car has about 8000 miles on it
First, you have to get thwacked - there are not "touring" tires or suspension. :thwack:

The Touring Pack was an interior trim package - it has nothing to do with the tires or suspension. The car came with standard (base pack) AD07s, or if it had the Sport Pack or Track Pack, with A048s.

Which wheels does it have? The 6 spoke wheels came standard on the cars. The 10 spoke forged wheels came with the Sport or Track Packs. Some people painted either type of wheels black. Later, both style wheels could be had as factory "black" option. Even that is not automatically proof of the package however as the wheels could have been switched, and for that matter, later base models could be ordered with forged 10 spoke wheels.

One clue as to the packages is the existence of a second oil cooler. Very early '05 cars had dual oil coolers on all cars, but that was dropped about half way through the year. From then on, Base package cars had a single oil cooler, and Sport & Track Pack cars had dual coolers. Look through the air inlets on the sides of the front, and you can see if there is an oil cooler behind both small grills. A single cooler means that it is a base package. Dual coolers indicate a Sport or Track Pack car. The Touring Pack is independent of the other options.

But another clue is the tires. Standard AD07s should have lasted much more than 8,000 miles. A048s, would have been lucky to have lasted that long. New tires after 8,000 miles would seem to point in the direction of Sport Pack. So now you need to determine if there are two oil coolers and which wheels are on the car.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
TimMullen said:
The 6 spoke wheels came standard on the cars. The 10 spoke forged wheels came with the Sport or Track Packs.
Stock wheels have 8 spokes. Sports have 7 (or 14 depending on your point of view:)).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Couple of points.

A base car could have been ordered with sports wheels (+ AD07s) as an option
(although as Tim says - they should have lasted longer than 8000 miles unless driven by someone whose skills were acquired on ebay).

The ECU dump may not be completely helpful.
Around the time the car was purchased there was an issue with the ECU which left the first (and most important) dump blank - so you may need to use other methods to decide if it has been abused (rather than just "tracked" which is fine).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Stock wheels have 8 spokes. Sports have 7 (or 14 depending on your point of view:)).
You are quite correct.

I mean:
Base = 8 spoke (I was thinking even number of spokes which is where the "6" came from);
Sport Pack = 7 (double) spoke (thinking odd number compared to lug nuts)

I find it funny (and even funnier that I notice it) that cars with an even number of lug nuts (i.e. four) seem to often have an odd number of spokes, and cars with an odd number of lugs often have an even number of spokes. It messes up the symmetry in my mind. Just one of my little quirks. :shrug:

Couple of points.

A base car could have been ordered with sports wheels (+ AD07s) as an option
Only on later cars. They couldn't be ordered that way on '05 or '06 models. I don't remember if the option was offered for '07 or '08 models.

I'm kind of assuming that if the car was bought at dealer auction, it isn't a brand new one...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Only on later cars. They couldn't be ordered that way on '05 or '06 models. I don't remember if the option was offered for '07 or '08 models.

I'm kind of assuming that if the car was bought at dealer auction, it isn't a brand new one...
Sorry - but mine's an early '06 and the option of forged wheels on base suspension was available then.

Aricept is very good I believe.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, you have to get thwacked - there are not "touring" tires or suspension. :thwack:

The Touring Pack was an interior trim package - it has nothing to do with the tires or suspension. The car came with standard (base pack) AD07s, or if it had the Sport Pack or Track Pack, with A048s.

Which wheels does it have? The 6 spoke wheels came standard on the cars. The 10 spoke forged wheels came with the Sport or Track Packs. Some people painted either type of wheels black. Later, both style wheels could be had as factory "black" option. Even that is not automatically proof of the package however as the wheels could have been switched, and for that matter, later base models could be ordered with forged 10 spoke wheels.

One clue as to the packages is the existence of a second oil cooler. Very early '05 cars had dual oil coolers on all cars, but that was dropped about half way through the year. From then on, Base package cars had a single oil cooler, and Sport & Track Pack cars had dual coolers. Look through the air inlets on the sides of the front, and you can see if there is an oil cooler behind both small grills. A single cooler means that it is a base package. Dual coolers indicate a Sport or Track Pack car. The Touring Pack is independent of the other options.

But another clue is the tires. Standard AD07s should have lasted much more than 8,000 miles. A048s, would have been lucky to have lasted that long. New tires after 8,000 miles would seem to point in the direction of Sport Pack. So now you need to determine if there are two oil coolers and which wheels are on the car.

I humbly accept my thwacking. The wheels are 8 spoke and in black. So that leads back to a base.:wallbang:
I do appreciate all the fast responses. I was really hoping it was the track pack. Still I don't think this should be a deal breaker. Also I overstated the mileage it currently has about 6200 miles. It is priced at $36,000.
One last question, has there been a TSB or anything to correct the overly optimistic speedometer?

Thanks again.

Lane

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I humbly accept my thwacking.
You joined a very large group of fellow thwackees (although many of them did it on purpose to see if I would catch them). :bow:

One last question, has there been a TSB or anything to correct the overly optimistic speedometer?
All the speedometers read about 7-8% over (but the odometers are accurate). Theory is that Europe requires that the speedometer can never read low, even if the owner installs over-sized tires. As a result, it's common for European cars (but not all) to read the 7-8% fast.

Bottom line is that :tadts: ("They All Do That Sir"). There are several threads on the subject that will come up with a search...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You joined a very large group of fellow thwackees (although many of them did it on purpose to see if I would catch them). :bow:

All the speedometers read about 7-8% over (but the odometers are accurate). Theory is that Europe requires that the speedometer can never read low, even if the owner installs over-sized tires. As a result, it's common for European cars (but not all) to read the 7-8% fast.

Bottom line is that :tadts: ("They All Do That Sir"). There are several threads on the subject that will come up with a search...
Yes I read alot about that using the search, but also read about some having the speedos read 80 when the car was only doing 60. I can live with 7% or so. My 911 reads 80 at 72 but by 175 is accurate. :shrug:
Anything I should be on the lookout for with this potential purchase. The car had the 1000 mile servicing done at Criswell and it also shows a recall performed for programming.

Thanks again
Lane

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Yes I read alot about that using the search, but also read about some having the speedos read 80 when the car was only doing 60. I can live with 7% or so.
Those errors are usually the result of the speedo (and often the tach) needing to have it's "zero" reset. The speedo is not directly connected to the wheels/transmission. It is controlled by a digital signal from the ECU that tells it what to display. The processor in the instrument cluster "tells" the needles where to point. Sometimes that gets out of whack, and it will be X amount off across the whole range (in addition to the intended 7-8%). The reset procedure is in the Owner's Manual - it involves opening the door, pushing the trip odometer reset button, turning the key, and turning around three times while doing somersaults in the front seat (it's actually not hard, just particular).

Some people have clusters that need resetting often, others (like mine) have never needed it. :shrug:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those errors are usually the result of the speedo (and often the tach) needing to have it's "zero" reset. The speedo is not directly connected to the wheels/transmission. It is controlled by a digital signal from the ECU that tells it what to display. The processor in the instrument cluster "tells" the needles where to point. Sometimes that gets out of whack, and it will be X amount off across the whole range (in addition to the intended 7-8%). The reset procedure is in the Owner's Manual - it involves opening the door, pushing the trip odometer reset button, turning the key, and turning around three times while doing somersaults in the front seat (it's actually not hard, just particular).

Some people have clusters that need resetting often, others (like mine) have never needed it. :shrug:
Tim thank you so much for all the responses and education. I know this is asking alot but what would your opinion be of the vehicle I have described. Buy or not buy and what would you consider a fair price?

Lane

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Tim thank you so much for all the responses and education. I know this is asking alot but what would your opinion be of the vehicle I have described. Buy or not buy and what would you consider a fair price?
Hi Lane-

You mention
purchased in April 06 at Chriswell
but it isn't clear if it is an '05 left-over or an '06. If it's an '05, with Touring, but no HT, I'd suggest that $30,000 would be top dollar for the car, even with the low mileage (maybe especially with such low mileage in two years), considering the cosmetic blems. If an '05, $36,000 is a little outrageous for the car -- especially since the dealer a) is not a Lotus dealer and b) bought the car at auction. An '06 would be closer to reasonable at that price.

Tim, shame on you. :thwack: This has to be the first time you've been factually incorrect in the history of this forum. Thanks for making an error once in awhile...;)

I only got about 8,500 safe miles from the AD07s on my car, and I'll have a hard time getting 10,000 from the replacements. In fact, they're up for replacement with some RA-01Rs before I get the Katana installed next month -- if the wheels ever come. It'll be interesting to see if the RA-01Rs last all the way out to California and back to Denver....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is an 06 not a left over 05. Thanks for the prompt replys, it is much appreciated.

Lane

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I don't think and 05 or 06 ELISE was offered with a TRACK-Pack option at all.

·
Registered
426 Posts
'06 Elises were available with Track Pack.

Does this car have a black rear diffuser? If so, it has Black pack which consisted of black wheels and a black diffuser. If it doesn't have a black diffuser then the wheels have been changed to black.

Does the car have leather seats? This would mean it has Touring pack. I would think a Touring pack car would be worth slightly more than a base car with cloth seats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Send me the vin and I'll get the option package info for you as well as run an outstanding TSB for you.

Robert I sent you a PM with the VIN.

It is a touring pack with the black pack, the rear diffuser is black.

Any and all help appreciated.

Lane

1 - 19 of 19 Posts