The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been covered before, but was wondering what options there are for sandwich plates? I have a 2005 toyota elise 111r NA. As I understand it now a new sandwich plate is a necessary mod to get optimal operating temps for the oil and will also reduce the risk of cam wiping? I have read that others recommend the mishimoto sandich plate. Are there other alternatives that will do the same job for cheaper?

·
Administrator
2,078 Posts
Rather than re invent the wheel why don't you look into the threads that have covered this heavily. Google your way there. One of many to pick from...https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/2zz-ge-intake-cam-wipe-prevention.460214/

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rather than re invent the wheel why don't you look into the threads that have covered this heavily. Google your way there. One of many to pick from...https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/2zz-ge-intake-cam-wipe-prevention.460214/
I know the topic of cam wiping has been covered through many threads, but could not find the much info on different options for sandwich plates.. and as many are many years old maybe there are some new options?

·
Administrator
2,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
The key is the Mishimoto has a particular thermostat design, where the thermostat actually closes the oil path to the coolers, where the stock closes a bypass to force oil through the coolers when hot. difference is that in the stock[and many others] oil always flows through the coolers.

Any sandwich plate where the thermostat assembly is at a right angle to the ports,and is on the port side of the plate, would perform similarly

Most of them don't

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The key is the Mishimoto has a particular thermostat design, where the thermostat actually closes the oil path to the coolers, where the stock closes a bypass to force oil through the coolers when hot. difference is that in the stock[and many others] oil always flows through the coolers.

Any sandwich plate where the thermostat assembly is at a right angle to the ports,and is on the port side of the plate, would perform similarly

Most of them don't
ah okay! Seems that the mishimoto is the best plate to go for then. But what stat shoul be used? 185f or 200f? Do u see this as a nessesery mod even with no signs of cam wipe? Looks like there are quite a fra options on this and no final answer..

·
He's on fire!
3,289 Posts

Most of them don't
I don't think this is quite accurate, but maybe accurate enough for this thread. I thought I read the mishimoto doesn't close the path to the oil coolers completely... doing so would shock the system when the cold oil in the cooler lines started to enter the system. Instead, it allows less oil flow through the coolers compared to stock, when fully closed.

Reactions: CRG53

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
thermostat temp is unimportant
point is to get oil temp higher faster
I am sure there are other brands with similar design but I am unaware of them
ah okay! Seems that the mishimoto is the best plate to go for then. But what stat shoul be used? 185f or 200f? Do u see this as a nessesery mod even with no signs of cam wipe? Looks like there are quite a fra options on this and no final answer..

·
Registered
997 Posts
@kristhod where are you located? I thought all non-North American 2ZZ powered cars came with the Toyota TRD water to oil cooler. I would rather have the TRD cooler over the air to oil coolers in the North American cars.

Also, the 200 deg thermostat is what you want.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thermostat temp is unimportant
point is to get oil temp higher faster
I am sure there are other brands with similar design but I am unaware of them
Will something like the elise-parts sanwitch plate do the same job as the mishimoto? I dont no what thermo stat is has.. or will this just be the same as the OEM one?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought all non-North American 2ZZ powered cars came with the Toyota TRD water to oil cooler. I would rather have the TRD cooler over the air to oil coolers in the North American cars.
How do I check if i have the TRD water to oil cooler or not? My car is a fed elise. But you said North-American, so does this apply to all fed elises or just some?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts