The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've read through all the threads on this topic, but still unsure about how to get both oil temp and pressure gauges. Threads say only one port is feasible on the mishimoto plate. How do I add another port or where can I install the temp sensor (stock oil pan)?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
You can buy an oil pan plug that will incorporate the oil temp sensor, this is meant for stock oil pan use. I think Monkey Wrench sells them. It’s not a perfect solution, but it will work OK. You could also drill and tap your own plug for 1/8”NPT.
I have my oil pressure sensor on a short braided hose attached to the firewall, hose connected to the Mishimoto plate.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
If you look back, someone posted a pic of my install. The temp sensor goes in the sandwich plate. The sender for the gauge I chose has both gauge and light, so I replaced the stock sender with it, and spliced into the stock light wire. I wish I could have found a crimp connector for that, but that style connector is designed to be built into a sensor, not strung on a wire, so, snip it was.

Do not mount a T on the block, vibration breaks them

Run a short length of hose from the stock oil pressure sender location to the chassis and mount the stock sender, and your aftermarket gauge sender there on a T fixed to the chassis

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I think that I have both on the sandwich plate. I used a T to install the oil light and the temp I think.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
337 Posts
I've read through all the threads on this topic, but still unsure about how to get both oil temp and pressure gauges. Threads say only one port is feasible on the mishimoto plate. How do I add another port or where can I install the temp sensor (stock oil pan)?
You can also do what I did, which was tap a 2nd port opposite the thermostat. Probably voided the warranty of the Mishimoto plate but this lets me have temp and pressure. Ran both sending wires following ebrake cable through firewall, then inside shift cover, then up to a single gauge displaying both pressure and temp something like this Amazon.com: GlowShift 10 Color Digital Dual Temperature & Pressure Gauge Kit - for Boost, Oil Pressure, Water & Transmission Temp - Includes Electronic Sensors - 2 Multi-Color LED Displays - Tinted Lens - 52mm: Automotive

I installed the gauge in this from Elise-Shop 60mm Aluminium Gauge Pod (All models) [6MMGP] - €44.99 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

End result looks like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I read through the big sandwich plate thread back when I was doing the research before buying my Exige. This was a pretty useful summary. After reading through the thread I have to admit I was not real clear on what the consensus ended up being on the 200/185 thermostat. Instead, I got the impression that the Laminova with a radiator upgrade was the better option. My car has neither but I have been considering it. I could get rid of the front oil coolers and lines as a bonus.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
My mishimoto sandwich plate with the 200 degree thermostat solved the cold oil issue on my Elise. Now, the oil temp is usually around 190 and goes up to 200-205 degrees during spirited and/or highway driving. Before, the oil would never go above 175 degrees.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I read through the big sandwich plate thread back when I was doing the research before buying my Exige. This was a pretty useful summary. After reading through the thread I have to admit I was not real clear on what the consensus ended up being on the 200/185 thermostat. Instead, I got the impression that the Laminova with a radiator upgrade was the better option. My car has neither but I have been considering it. I could get rid of the front oil coolers and lines as a bonus.
Most people do not wish to fundamentally modify their car. This mod adds a few minutes time to an an oil change, once, and costs 150 bucks or so.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am going to disagree with the people saying "google it" or "look at the other threads". I feel this kind of old school forum policing will drive people away from forums to FB groups and other forms of communication where people can ask a question and not get criticized for how they ask it.

Information changes over time and this person is asking for a update / current status of this topic, and explicitly mentioned so. They are also looking for individuals' experiences that might not be documented. If this forum was a perfectly organized wiki site that all members updated with all experiences, this kind of RTFM response would bee warranted but that is far from the case.

Furthermore, this attitude is quite frustrating because half the time you find the 6 year old thread that is discussing what you wanted, you post on it to see if there is any follow ups, and you get made fun of for "reviving this super old thread" and then often a moderator locks it. I have yet to hear a compelling reason why old threads should stay old, and these two orthodoxies seem at odds with each other.

I think forums provide valuable resources and can provide a format and knowledge base that is hard for FB groups to achieve. However, if we do not do our best to have a current discussion about something when it comes up, these spaces will slowly die, as people don't have the desire to figure out some unwritten rule of when it is okay to ask question on what.

·
Super Moderator
783 Posts
I feel your frustration JasonB but I have found and don't want to derail this thread that 90% of the time Google will lead me to answers far quicker than posing a question on here. When posing a question if you link back to previous posts it shows that you made an effort to find answers rather than restart an old post and like you said get criticized for doing so. Some can be rather harsh in their replies and I try and keep that in mind when I respond to someone. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Not a lot changes on these cars most upgrades and maintence procedures have been around for some time now. When I say "google it to someone" I also show a link and how I got there if needed that usually answers the question or leads you in the direction you need to go. I'm still a newish member but I find that most questions are easily answered by a google search. I mean how hard is it to look up a part number? Not all but 99% can be found on lotuspartsonline.com Some questions like this thread were all covered in my link on post#2 and #4 and all posts after that are pretty well covered in the link on post#2.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
There is need to be rude.. I did ask for sandwich plate OPTIONS and not about the cam wiping / oil cooling problem, as I also stated. I had looked into this and could not find any threads that covered the topic of different options, that is why I started this one! I could not agree more with JasonB. I would understand your frustration if I just asked about the same as the threads covered, but I was asking about something else.. If different options have been covered before in the threads, then I am sorry.. But the threads were old and new info could also have come up?..

·
Super Moderator
783 Posts
kristhod I apologize if I came across as rude no intent to be that way. Post# 2 covers reason why people were looking for sandwich plate options and post#4 was sandwich plates of which two were discussed but more importantly all the extra parts and sources that would be necessary with the mishimoto and also opinions on which tstat to use. These all relate to post 2 link because people were looking for a solution and or prevention for cam wiping and the opinions vary wildly as you can see if you read back thru those links. Curious why are you looking into a sandwich plate?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Okay, I did not get that then. There was just so much information that had me confused.. I have a federal elise and after reading about the over cooling problems, that had me worried. Also it seems to be quite different options on the topic as some cams are totally fine after many many miles... So that is why I started to look into these plates as it seems to be a cheap solution to the problem. I have not checked my cams yet but will next week.

·
Super Moderator
783 Posts
kristhod I had to chuckle when you posted it knowing you would be flooded with so many opinions and that was my "reinvent the wheel" remark. I can read and reread all the opinions and still get confused lol. My car was equipped with two coolers that stay blocked off that PO installed when doing the REV300 upgrade and after wiping cams several times he built the engine for longevity rather than peak hp. He tracked primarily during summer whereas I run only spring and fall. He advised me to wait at least ten minutes before getting on cam after reaching operating temp on the water and I continue to follow that. I started installing a oil temp gauge and just need to make final electrical connection before I have some added peace of mind. Good luck sorting it out!

Reactions: kristhod

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
337 Posts
There have been several opinions on what is causing cams to wipe. Some think oil temp is too low. Others think its oil starvation caused by stock oil pan starving the pickup during sweeping turns. My personal view is most likely temp and maybe also starvation. I'm on my 3rd cam. First could have been scored during previous owners first 15K miles but who knows for sure. I replaced it with an OEM that only lasted 7K miles. One more and I could make a coffee table! Not wanting to do this again, I went with MonkeyWrench stock shape but hardened metal for cam #3 AND mishimoto plate AND 200 degree t-stat AND baffled oil pan AND oil temp gauge to monitor.

6 or so track days and many spirited recreational days later, cams are good. Think I finally got it licked. If not, I'll post a picture of my new table.......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
There have been several opinions on what is causing cams to wipe. Some think oil temp is too low. Others think its oil starvation caused by stock oil pan starving the pickup during sweeping turns. My personal view is most likely temp and maybe also starvation. I'm on my 3rd cam. First could have been scored during pervious owners first 15K miles but who knows for sure. I replaced it with an OEM that only lasted 7K miles. One more and I could make a coffee table! Not wanting to do this again, I went with MonkeyWrench stock shape but hardened metal for cam #3 AND mishimoto plate AND 200 degree t-stat AND baffled oil pan AND oil temp gauge to monitor.

6 or so track days and many spirited recreational days later, cams are good. Think I finally got it licked. If not, I'll post a picture of my new table.......
Thanks for the info. I always wait about 20min or 10 min after water temp is ok before hitting second cam. How often do you check your cams? Any symptoms or will this first come when they are really bad? Do you need to but on a new valve cover gasket every time when pulling the valve cover off? Some say yes and others no..

21 - 40 of 64 Posts