The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a bit of reading through the forums. It seems the JL Audio Stealthbox is one of the most popular choices. When I went to order one, it looks like they,ve just been discontinued (JL audio doesn't show the product, Mobile Sound Works thought they had one, I ordered and was refunded.)
My question is What is everyone else using besides the Stealthbox and the ebay fiberglasss behind the seats unit? Do you like what you have?
I think one of the only options left might be something like:
Or to build my own box. I have built boxes before and know tuning them can be very tricky. There's not a lot of room in the footwell for flexibility.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you have built boxes before....I would make your own version of the jl box. No need to tune it, just make it a sealed box or and good local shop could make a box to fit.

Chuck's box seems to be the least intrusive.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Viggen, happy to hear suggestions. It's been a while since I've been in the car audio market.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I had a stealthbox in my prior car. Was great but I just dont want it eating the footwell.

I went with a Sound Ordinance 8PDT (it's Crutchfield's brand). Was $150. Installed behind the driver's seat (no lost clicks) and for the money, does the job just fine. Kenwood makes a similar unit that I have installed in my MiniMoke

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The bazooka BTA6100 is great for an all in one, ok sounding (you're not going to need much SQ in the Elige) and solid output system that will easily round out your bottom end without breaking the bank in cost or your alternator in current draw. I enjoyed it in my Elise.

I have heard similar experiences with the 8" all in one units similar to the sound ordinance mentioned above. Almost all on the market are near identical in performance, though reliability seems to vary.

There are perks to going with a 6.5 or 8" driver as in general, you can crossover a touch higher than a larger driver, since your dash and rear panel speakers aren't really great as far as high output goes, by nature of their size and the limitations of the locations in the elige. This allows you to cross the coaxials/components higher as well, so as not to stress them. Makes for a pretty good top off listening experience.

There are also many DIY options that willl fit in that footwell and take up a LOT less space, provide a much better sound and give you the same or more output. I know of a 6.5" driver that with a simple small enclosure and 80-100 watts will blow your mind.

All depends on what you are looking for :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I'm in the market for a sub as well - is the JL stealthbox not available anymore? I've searched around and can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Crutchfield Sound Ordinance 8" powered fits right behind the drivers seat with no lost clicks.

$150 and easy to install.

Done.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Personally speaking, build your own out of an 8" driver, place it at the footwell of the passenger side. Should take up less space with 3/4" MDF and the proper .3-.5 cu ft. of space.

·
Registered
440 Posts
10" Focal Activebus behind the seat. Fitted one to both my Elises. One plug to remove for track days (if needed).

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Don't buy them. They add to much weight. Get a Caprice and make a hoopdie thumper instead.

·
Older but getting faster
529 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts