The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given my order number 24642 and an expected build month of September.

How does that correspond with other people's information?

Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
what was your waitlist #?

I have no order # or build date info.

I'm # 12 on the local list.

R

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I was #7 at my dealer and the car is on the ship.

My serial number is just over 300, I was never told my build order number

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
That info jives with what I've been told.

My build # is pretty close to yours S24633. Sept build for an Oct delivery.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Biomax said:
what was your waitlist #?

I have no order # or build date info.

I'm # 12 on the local list.

R
I am the #7 customer car at Overseas. Not that this will help you unless you are on their list, as each dealer has a different allocation, so will be getting cars at a different rate.

Greg

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that anybody cares, but I got some more information today.

I have been told that my car has been built and was shipped/delivered? to the UK port on September 21, 2004 (the year is important with the way Lotus is working). It was suggested that the car may arrive in Late October at the dealer.

My build # is 25642. My VIN is in the 520-540 range. Yes I have the exact number, but I am leary of posting VIN# as you can get keys for some cars with a VIN.

Like I said no great news, but it provides a little more information for others to crosscheck information they have received.

Greg

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Racer X said:
My build # is 25642. My VIN is in the 520-540 range. Yes I have the exact number, but I am leary of posting VIN# as you can get keys for some cars with a VIN.
I don't know where you park it but the people that live/work near you do and they can get your VIN by looking at the windshield:D

If it is that easy to get a key we are all fcuked;)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Patricko said:
I don't know where you park it but the people that live/work near you do and they can get your VIN by looking at the windshield:D

A few months ago, one of the TV network shows did a hidden camera expose on how easy it was for someone to walk into a dealer and get a key made from the VIN from someone else's car. In some cases they just made a new key. In others it took a little coaxing and in a very few, they were refused.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
RacerX, my VIN is a bit higher than your range.

I did get confirmation that my tangerine jewel has been built! :cool:

I think my Oct delivery will now be early Nov.:(

Come on Nov! :clap:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Patricko said:

That's what they make black electrical tape for:D

Seriously, you can get a key with a VIN for a Chevrolet, among many others, at you local dealer. They are supposed to require a drivers license. There have been a number of cars stolen this way.

Good News/Bad News

Bad News - Lotus information systems apparently suck!

Good News - As a result it is probably impossible to get a key without a key to copy because they have no database that identifies a key cutting code to a VIN:D

GReg

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Racer X said:
That's what they make black electrical tape for:D

GReg
Then you've not seen the VIN plate on the Lotus. Its not on the dash like some cars where you could cover it up inside the car and noone could pull the tape off. The VIN on the lotus is butted up against the windsheild glass. The only way you could try to cover it would be to put tape on the outside of your windsheild...which is easily removed.

I wouldnt worry too much about it. If they want your car that bad...they'll get it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You right, I did not pay enough attention to the Elise VIN location.

That's why it is good that the Lotus information systems would not likely allow a dealer to cut a key with just a VIN.

My cars are normally in a garage at home or in a secured compound with limited access, so I am not worried about theft where my car will most predictably be. The idea is to make the car harder to steal than other desireable cars nearby. No car is safe from a determined professional:(

Greg

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Kiyoshi nailed it though. You can't steal the car with a key. However someone will have access to your trunk and can listen to the radio with it.... unless you set the alarm.

The car is immobilized and the thief will not be able to start it with a key only.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts