The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Solstice certainly isn't an Elise but the package and price point look mighty attractive.

So attractive that I put a deposit down at a local Pontiac dealer. The first several dealers I called basically said "Huh, what's a Solstice?" I found one willing to take my money and, based on my Elise ordering experience, had the P.O. written for "MSRP at the time of delivery, number one order position and deposit refundable until time of delivery or special order."

Wow! The garage is gonna get CROWDED!!!

CDubya
Base Saffron Elise
#24 at Silicon Valley

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi CDubYa,

Do you have elise deposite with SVAG? Did you order it yet?
I am trying to figure out when I will be able to order mine. I thought I was in 40ish but somehow 2 days ago when I called they told me I am on #76. :mad:

solo2Elise

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put my deposit down at the end of May '03 with Graham Pike. Haven't ordered yet. I look to be in the third batch so I would expect to be asked preferences about April or so with delivery in July or August.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I went to the GM Dealer today to see if they could fix a dashboard rattle on a car that I have borrowed that is coming out of warranty and asked them about the Soltice. The person there said " Yea, we will be getting the new GTO convertibles next year" Totally clueless. Hope their service department knows what a dashboard is.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'll be curious and amazed if GM is actually able to bring off the Solstice even remotely in the prototype form. I'm doubtful.

GM's big thing right now is the GTO rebirth, wow, they bring an old chassis from an australian car (Holden?) put a totally uninspired body on it, and no suspension, amazing!

Chrysler and Ford lately seem to be doing a better job of coming out with inspiring rides.
Chris

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
The Ford GT is somewhat interesting... though there are still lots of things I can think of that I'd take over it in that price range. The GTO is a poor performing, overweight, hideous vehicle. The Solstice is going to end up being a 3500lb beast of a "compact car" if it ever makes it to production. It's nice to think that an american manufacturer is capable of mass producing something compact, light, and nimble... but I doubt it will ever happen as manufacturers here only think of profit.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I think the people at solsticetalk.com might disagree with you....

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
So let's what concept car has GM taken to production that actually was the slightest bit interesting??

I don't think the GM corporate mindset will allow a car like the solstice to be built in anything like it's present form. GM will manage to screw it up. But maybe they can resurrect another muscle car name from by gone glory days to "rev it up"

By the time GM comes out with something even remotely "eliselike" I'll be drawing social security and back in diapers.

Poor Solstice.com people are in for a LOOOOOOOONG wait!

At least my wait's almost over with, few more months.
Chris:D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:

GM's big thing right now is the GTO rebirth, wow, they bring an old chassis from an australian car (Holden?) put a totally uninspired body on it, and no suspension, amazing!

Holden Monaro, OK car but not a good choice for the goat crown.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Solo2Elise said:
Hi CDubYa,

Do you have elise deposite with SVAG? Did you order it yet?
I am trying to figure out when I will be able to order mine. I thought I was in 40ish but somehow 2 days ago when I called they told me I am on #76. :mad:

solo2Elise
Sorry to go off-tangent on this thread, but I also have a deposit with SVAG (Silicon Valley Suto Group, yes?)... I ordered in early October 2003, and was told I was in the low 40s.

So: Solo2Elise-- when did you place your deposit?

Also, I'm surprised you even got a list position out of them. I asked twice circa Nov and Dec, and was told each time, "Well, I can go check, but it will take some time to go through the paperwork, and look at who put deposits down when, which will determine the precise list positions... But we will do this as soon as Lotus asks us for the first orders..."

Your slippage from 40ish to 76 frightens me. Either you ordered much later than early Oct, and were misleadingly told you were in the 40s (not a good sign), or you ordered in early Oct, and your 40s position has "been slipped" to #76 (a VERY bad sign).

·
Registered
474 Posts
my deposite with SVAG

I put deposite on 11/08 so in a month period they got 30+ orders. Anyways when I noticed that my spot is actually in 76, I decided to put another desposite for exige. I am now the #1 on exige list and hoping that 250hp+ exige does come to US.

Solo2Elise

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
What kind of specs are expected from the Solstic (weight, engine configs, power output, tranny, price, etc)?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
How do you put a deposit on an exige when noone has even said its coming to the US yet?

Jenn<-- who can barely afford the Elise, let alone a $60,000 exige. :(

·
Registered
687 Posts
First of all, this thread belongs in EliseTalk Forums > Community > Other or maybe a new Car Talk forum...

Vantage said:
What kind of specs are expected from the Solstic (weight, engine configs, power output, tranny, price, etc)?
According to GM:

* ETA: fall 2005 (2006 model), produced in Delaware
* Est. MSRP: ~$20,000 base price
* 2.4L variable-valve DOHC I-4 Ecotec (LE5), (shared w/the Chevy Cobalt, the Cavalier replacement)
* 170 hp @ 6400
* 170 lb-ft @ 4400
* 5 sp. close-ratio Aisin MW5 transmission
* independent F/R suspension w/forged aluminum unequal-length upper/lower control arms
* monotube shocks, coil springs
* disc brakes, ABS option
* 18x8.5" wheels, Goodyear P245/45R18 tires
* borrowed from the parts bin: rear corner lamps, door handles, fog lamps, seats, engine, transmission
* aluminum/steel spaceframe chassis
* steel body
* height: 50.2"
* length: 157.2"
* width: 71.6"
* wheelbase: 95.1"
* track: 60.5" F, 61.2" R
* weight (concept): 2860 lbs

According to C/D:
* weight (production): 3210 lbs (+350!)--remember this is a car with an aluminum 4 cylinder engine and a manual top!
* chassis will be shared with Vauxhall/Opel to replace Elise chassis
* supercharger & 6-speed will be offered eventually (est. ~$30k)

GM claims it will deliver a "world-class driving experience"??? From looking at the specs, I seriously doubt it. I wonder if its beauty is just skin deep. And remember, this is a GM car, w/GM so-called quality (e.g. a recall of 800,000 cars was issued just last month).

Personally, for a ~$20k roadster, I'd get a 3rd generation Miata sight-unseen instead, which will likely be on sale around the same time as the Solstice. Supposedly, Mazda is still on track for a sub-2200 lb target weight.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
No doubt the stout construction is GM's latest answer to suv collisions. I wonder if they got technical advice/expertise from Lada or Zil in the former soviet union (under soviet regime production of vehicles were based on weight not units!!)
Chris

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
How do you put a deposit on an exige when noone has even said its coming to the US yet?

Wait a minute... aren't you buying 2 Elises? ;)

·
Registered
971 Posts
OneFastMiata said:

If you put the 2nd Elise on EBay maybe you can get $60K for it and end up with both an Elise and an Exige.:rolleyes: :D ;) (just trying to make the sarcasm obvious.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts