The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: had anyone spedified the Limited Slip Differential? I'm #18 at AutoEurope, so I'll be getting "the call" any minute. But, I want the limited slip. What will happen? Will my order be deferred?

Anyone else's order at AutoEurope in Michigan?

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Registered
302 Posts
Latest info I've heard from Lotus (last week) is that the LSD is still being track tested, and won't be offered unless it is faster on the track.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope that they are testing it on a U.S.-style autocross track. My guess is that I will never have the opportunity to drive on Lotus' Hethel test circuit, therefore I don't really care if it is faster there. :(

Thomas

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Hey Thomas,

My deposit is at AutoEurope. I'm #36 (and envious of your much earlier position). My salesperson was Jim Michel, but I'm told that he's gone now. Who have you been working with?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thomasio said:
I hope that they are testing it on a U.S.-style autocross track. My guess is that I will never have the opportunity to drive on Lotus' Hethel test circuit, therefore I don't really care if it is faster there. :(

Thomas
I think they're testing it on a road course. Autocross testing is asking too much, I'm afraid. The real question is how good is the car without it, on the autox course. We'll know soon enough.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey Paul, check yoru Private Message box.

I'm dealing with Erik Schick. (He has a beautiful silver S1 that is lowered.) I test drove the blue european S2 that was there last summer.

That color is very tempting... as it was the color of the car that I fell in love with.

Thomas

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you want an option, any option that is not available at the time of your car going into production, it will most certainly delay the delivery of your vehicle.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The indications from Tony Shute were the LSD wouldn't be available EARLIER than later this year.

As Derrick says, the more complicated specialized you get in your order, the less chance you'll get the car in a timely manner.
Chris

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I would like to ask a naive question. :confused: What would the LSD do for me? Under what kind of driving conditions does it make a difference? Is it worth the extra money? Etc. A tutorial in regards to the Elise would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
ChrisH said:
I would like to ask a naive question. :confused: What would the LSD do for me? Under what kind of driving conditions does it make a difference? Is it worth the extra money? Etc. A tutorial in regards to the Elise would be much appreciated.
Do a search here on LSD- tons of info.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
ChrisH,

According to Lotus engineers I talked with at LA, the LSD has never proven to be a benefit for the elise for street driving (and track days) and why it hasn't been offered before.

Apparently (and keep in mind I know nothing about autocross) LSD is very helpful in doing autocross or slalom events. This is who the optional LSD in the case of the elise is being offered for.

CHris

·
Registered
670 Posts
I put in my order last week. I asked about sport exhaust and LSD.
The answer was no sport exhaust till later, it is dealer option anyway. No LSD this year period. 2006 model maybe.

Steve

·
Registered
178 Posts
No LSD

Placed my order 1 March and was asked if I wanted to go to the end of the line for eventual availability of LSD. Decided it may never happen or not for a long time, so went with order, asked that a note be attached to it requesting LSD if it became available by the time my car is built. I imagine there's no place for such a note on the order, so I'll probably install it myself after I have some experience with the car and determine its benefits. Have never owned a vehicle since my '65 6 cyl. Mustang that didn't have LSD. Definite advantage in the wet, on hot, slick surfaces (many autocrosses), loose road surface, etc. I'm sure that with rear midship engine it would be of minimal advantage on a dry, smooth race track since the Elise doesn't have excessive horsepower or in eveyday 'sporty' driving on the road. But I still WANT IT!!! Why have the PERFECT sports car with less than perfect options?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts