The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought my Europa last summer, came with the mini lite knock offs you see in the pic. Europas DO look very good with mini lites, but I also like the original Lotus alloys. My car came with its original 5 wheels, but they were in sorry shape.

Had them refinished over the winter. Tire choices in original size are slim these days, so I went with 185/70/13 Kumho Solus. Not exactly sticky, but they are not bad, either. Hey, I'm not autocrossing the car.

The 'minilites' are shod with 195/60/13's up front, 205/60/13's in the rear. BF Goodrich TA Radials. Not exactly sports car tires either. They look aggressive on the car, and the big tires on the rear look good. But all that is too much tire for the car.

Anxious to get the originals back on, which I did over the weekend. First chance to actually drive it was when I got home tonight. Putting the original sizes Chapman intended back on the car (well, the original was 175's up front) really transformed the car. It drives like it should, and it's actually quicker with less unsprung weight and less massive wheels and tires to turn in the rear.

Looks may be a matter of taste, but I truly like the looks of the originals over the mini lites. Federal Europa noses ride a bit high from the factory to meet period bumper height requirments. The PO raised the nose with adjustable shocks even higher so the much fatter tires wouldn't rub.

I was going to lower the nose when I put the new tires/wheels on, but they have a higher aspect ratio and actually stand just under an inch taller, filling out the front wheel well much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking good. And what's up with this Maryland weather? Snow on Sunday, 60s today? I still have my factory wheels, restored and up in the attic. Right now I'm running 15" Panasports on the car, I like the look of the larger wheels/less sidewall. They're silver now but heading to the powder coater soon to be darkened to charcoal grey — leaving the lips polished.

I'd be out driving this weekend but I'm having my seat inserts moded with the addition of some stainless grommets (a la early Ford GTs) they should be finished and in the car within two weeks. Looking forward to getting together and going for a cruise with two Europas, something you don't see around here.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking good. And what's up with this Maryland weather? Snow on Sunday, 60s today? I still have my factory wheels, restored and up in the attic. Right now I'm running 15" Panasports on the car, I like the look of the larger wheels/less sidewall. They're silver now but heading to the powder coater soon to be darkened to charcoal grey — leaving the lips polished.

I'd be out driving this weekend but I'm having my seat inserts moded with the addition of some stainless grommets (a la early Ford GTs) they should be finished and in the car within two weeks. Looking forward to getting together and going for a cruise with two Europas, something you don't see around here.
Yours is one of those Europas that truly look good with the panasports, and the centers charcoal grey look so much better. As nice as I think my car is, yours is on another level.

One Europa on the highway is rare enough, two at a time will stop traffic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts