1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I wouldn't even consider them until you know what they are.
90% brighter is a meaningless slogan.
Brighter than what?
Most of the more expensive bulbs are boutique tints and jazzy slogans.
There is some gain with xenon gas.
They have those too at a fair price.
Compare lumens, hours and wattage.

10% whiter, my ass.
White being a relative concept anyway.
Sounds like a blue tint silverstar, which is probably a glossy version of the Super H1.
Osram Super H1 from Power Bulbs

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
i bought the silverstars for my highbeams and they were exactly the same as the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
From a quick look, the Nightbreaker appears to be blue tinted - avoid all bulbs that are blue tinted as they actually reduce the effectiveness of the lights.

The Osram SilverStars are brighter than standard bulbs, but not an order of magnitude better - just better. Avoid Sylvania SilverStars (owned by Osram) as they are blue tinted for the US market.

As a general rule any bulb that advertises "whiter light" is achieving that by tinting the bulb blue - that makes the color appear whiter, but in reality, produces less light that the eye can actually uses.

Or course the more popular lighting change is to disable the DRLs and install a HID conversion such as the one from Eckological.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've never heard/seen the bulbs in question, but if tinted I doubt they are better than Osram Silverstars.

Or course the more popular lighting change is to disable the DRLs and install a HID conversion such as the one from Eckological.
+1 :up: for Ekological's HID kit! 2 years running with no issues.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Had stock, Silverstars, and then HIDs. The Silverstars were good; much better than stock. But, if you can afford them, go straight to HIDs - well worth it. I had two cars with HIDs (stock) previously, but only really remembered what I had been missing when I went to HIDs in the Elise. I highly recommend ekological's kit (assuming he's still doing them) as his harness is excellent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts