The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tough question for me. I was looking at an RX-8. I loved the concept cars, and I have always liked rotary engines. I am not thrilled with the car as it came out though. It seems nice, but it does not light my fire.

The idea of gobs of hp in a little car like the Evo or WRX may be fun. Not thrilled with some of the styling, but it would probably grow on me. AWD is cool.

BMW Z4. I like this car actually.

Nissan 350Z. Sweet. A lot better looking in person than I thought it would be. A little big for me, specially in the rear. It's got that J-Lo thing going on. Nice car though.

Mini Cooper S. My brother just bought one so I get to drive it. Nice car. Cute.

MR-2 Spyder. There is a lot I like about this car. But I am not a big fan of convertibles for myself. I would just as soon have a hardtop.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Im happy with my miatas and RX7's.

In fact, if the Elise had not come along, I probably wouldnt even be looking for "OTM's" ( Other Than Mazdas).

The Elise fits the bill in every way, its perfect for my hobbies and just my type of car.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
G35C 6/mt, had order one, even had the vin, before backing out for the Liz. Would have kept the '2 as the fun car. Consider/checked out the Mini Copper, MR2 (mkIII), Miata, WRX STi, M3, G35S, S4... been looking and ready to buy for about a year. The Elise seems to be too much fun to pass up.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I had been interested in the new MINI prior to the Elise, but after seeing the Elise at the LA Auto Show in '02, that was pretty much over ! What cinched it for me was when I finally got to test-drive the MINI, I realized that it would never be the kind of driver's car that even the Miata is.

So, if the Elise was not coming over, I would probably stick with the Miata, but have it "freshened up" and tuned. Probably install a supercharger and related performance goodies !

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The only other cars I was considering were an NSX and some older Ferraris (328, 348). The NSX is a sweet car, but it's big and its styling is growing dated. The Ferraris were appealing, but I read too much about maintenance costs and decided it wasn't what I was looking for.

The only convertible I've ever really liked is the Ferrari 360 Spyder, quite a ways out of my price range. If Mazda made a coupe version of the Miata, that'd catch my attention (I loved that coupe show car from years ago).

Until I decided to get the Elise, I was planning on investing a lot of time and money in my MR2 to make it one of the fastest naturally aspirated MR2s around. In the end though, I decided I'd much rather put that money towards the Elise and focus my time on other projects instead.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Oh, and the RX-8 is very interesting, I can't wait to test drive it. I'm trying to talk my wife into buying it as her daily driver (so I can borrow it). ;-)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well I was almost going to buy a new Boxster,I love my '99. I may still get one if they ever make a Club Sport version. I have not found another manufacturer like Porsche for a car I can track then drive to the shops or work. The Elise will be my daily driver I hope. Weight IS EVERYTHING
There may also to be aftermarket conversion to install the S2000's engine into an Elise. 250hp may be worth the $12-15k price.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I've been looking at getting out of my old RX7 since a few months after I bought it. I was looking at a pretty wide range from a Mini Cooper S to a used NSX. I had considered the Boxster, M Coupe, and Audi TT as well, but none of them really tripped my trigger like the Elise. (I will say, however, that the engine in the NSX is one of the sweetest pieces of machinery I've ever had the pleasure of abusing).

The new MR2 leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and the Miata, somehow, has a weird stigma surrounding it - similar to that of the Camaro, but in the opposite direction. I love driving them, but would never own one (no offense to Miata, Camero, or MR2 Spyder owners).

I like the 350, but its much too big for me - I feel about it the same way I feel about the Supra... There's so much that could be taken away from that car that would actually make it *better*... and they both could stand a diet. ;)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
"The new MR2 leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and the Miata, somehow, has a weird stigma surrounding it - similar to that of the Camaro, but in the opposite direction. I love driving them, but would never own one (no offense to Miata, Camero, or MR2 Spyder owners). "

LOL :D You've just managed to offend 80 % of the registered users !!! No but seriously, re: the Miata, the British call it "a hairdresser's car", and there's some truth to that - my wife's hairdresser happens to own one ! (Not that there's anything wrong with that...). I own a Miata too, and while I'm not uncomfortable with it I know that the Miata has a bit of that stigma. That's cool but I don't think the Elise can be classified as a hairdresser's car, at least not by anyone who knows anything about them.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Well all I can say is that gay men have good taste in cars. :D

Besides....I dont mind driving a hairdressers car, that way when I encounter a mullet mobile ( anything LS1 ) I can give them a nice "de-mulletizing" ( I just created a word!) with my hairdressor panache'. :p

Cheers
Jennifer

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Ah yes..the mullet. So fine. lol. Being from Kentucky one may think that I have better selection of mullets to choose from, but suprisingly here in Louisville we have very few. The outlying areas of course do have some mullet action going on.

Hey Mikester, you belong to SOCALM? I was in Tustin about 2 years ago for their miata show at one of the dealers. They had the miata coupe and that goofy one seater miata...I cant think of the name of it offhand. Monoposto I think.

Would you have been there?

We were out there visiting Monster Motorsports. I spent the entire day with serial killer/Monster CEO John Smith ( before he was found to be a serial killer and on 60minutes and 48 hour TV shows) and doing some Mountain Biking.

By the way, since we all seem to be miata people. Im MIATA MAMMA on miata.net. Maybe I already know some of you?

Cheers
Jenn

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Nope, I'm not really active with any Miata clubs or events. Never even taken the Miata out to the track.

Hopefully will be a different story with the Elise, though !

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm still considering the C6 Corvette, but am 90% sure on the Elise. Both should be available around the same time.

C6 rumors are for 420-ish horsepower (LS2) and 3200 lbs. C6-Z06 should be two years later rumored at 500 HP (LS7) and just under 3000 lbs. My thoughts are I'll get the Elise first and then in two years, if I'm not completely happy, I'll move to the C6-Z06.

·
Registered
148 Posts
mikester said:
: the Miata, the British call it "a hairdresser's car", and there's some truth to that - my wife's hairdresser happens to own one ! (Not that there's anything wrong with that...). I own a Miata too, and while I'm not uncomfortable with it I know that the Miata has a bit of that stigma. [/B]
Funny! Considering that I'm a long haired guy that drives a Miata, I'm surprised I don't get winks and whistles from guys in other cars sporting a rainbow sticker! I get a TON of ribbing from my friends about driving a "chick car". That is.... untill I offer to give them a little ride in the Miata. Then, their opinions change. Its funny watching the fear build up in someone's face as you take an on-ramp sideways!

The other car I was seriously looking at is the Vintage's 550 Spyder replica. That's the only comparable car that you can purchase "new". I am very impressed with Honda's S2000 and I would have purchased one if it didn't have the name "Honda" on it. I know Honda's are exceptionally reliable and they do make great handling cars.... But talk about a bad Stigma attached to a car! I'd rather live with the type of Stigma attached to a Miata than the type that befalls asian Honda owners.... (yes I am asian).

Jose Soriano

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
jrgibb said:
I guess you guy can't get the Opel / Vauxhall VX220 ???
The last Opel in the US was the Opel GT back in the early 70's (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The Vauxhall name has never made the trans-atlantic journey.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts