The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you has other project other than ESPRIT.
Boat ? Motorcycle? Antique stuff ? old toys? RC ? Unusual project? collectors? :drool:

·
Registered
4,901 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Here is a little preview of my currect hobbies/projects

1991 Corvette Zr1 Work in progress

1991 BMW 850

2007 Merc CLS550

1998 Ducati 916

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Putting in a stereo this weekend. LOL

Gonzo at the wheel.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oh yes, many... I have my most beloved Laverda SFC1000 motorcycle. Been riding Laverda for some 28 years. Then there's the Corrado G60, then the race and mountain bikes, then the Photo gear, then the scalextric racetrack, then programming on my old trusty HP41CX, then rc cars and airplanes, then the HiFi, then my roses in the garden, then Classic guitar playing, then the books on the Esprit, and.. Oh well. Then some ;)

A few pics.

Cheers,
Redfox.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I did a ground up restoration on a Manx style Dune Buggy. Lots of fun! I had to do some weight distribution to keep the front end on the ground. 207 hp and about 1600 pounds.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am constantly buying and selling motorcycles from mostly the 80's and 90's, I buy them in delapidated condition and restore them and sell them. Last summer I did 8, this year im only on 3 so far, been busy. My wife jokes that I am the "Wheeler Dealers" of motorcycles. I am always quoting that show when im selling bikes. This past weekend I just sold this guy called Mathew a cracken new motor after working the spanners on it LOL. If you dont watch the show you wont get that joke!

The most notable bike though since I have owned my Esprit, has been a 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo, I knew nothing about turbos before my Esprit and my knowledge gained from the Esprit helped me understand how the turbo worked on this old pretty rare bike. The guy I bought it from told me it had no boost and needed a turbo, actually, it pressurizes the carburetors upon boost and if the carbs leak, then it cant make boost. Problem solved, rebuilt the carbs. "Sold on for a profit" Sorry that was another Wheeler Dealer quote.

I have owned numerous late model bikes previously, I liked more exotic bikes, like Ducati's, Aprilia's, Moto Guzzi's, Triumph is probably my favorite. Im still young enuf to blow thru the twisties on a Daytona 675 like nobody's business, I think that is the bike that best suits me. I used to have a very quick eye and memory for these kinda bike blue book values, to buy and sell them. These bikes also have more fragile engines when it comes to maintenance, similar to the Esprit. I think many guys buy these bikes on a whim, then their wives tell them after a short while they want it gone, that seems to be the way I've gotten a few bikes at a low cost, that and the old rule cash talks.

REDFOX, This guy I used to know bought the first Laverda ever sold in my area from this now BMW/Triumph dealer, I thought it was a old Ducati when I first saw it.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Like the rest of you,I seem to have my fair share of hobbies.

Manual watch collecting(21 in my collection), cars,motorcycles(bought the last one in boxes),bicycles, RC slope racing( no motors),home theater, and of course, taking my dog hunting.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
1991 BMW 850
Very cool! How do you lilke the 850? They have been on my short list of interesting cars to buy for the last ten years, but I've yet to pull the trigger on one. I like under-appreciated GT cars (I own multiple Porsche 928s and a Maserati Coupe), and the 850/840 seem to fall into that camp. How are they for DIY?

-Gary

·
Registered
55 Posts
My main 'project' car (along with my S4s) is a 1987 Porsche 928 S4:

It's in the midst of a complete restoration. Unfortunately it's been up on that lift and largely untouched for the last couple of years. I do almost all of my own automotive work and maintenance alone on my P38 Range Rover, Saab 9-5, and Maserati Coupe have kept me too busy recently to work on my project cars. I should probably consider buying a more reliable daily driver, but I hate driving boring cars!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
This doesn't have an engine nor does it even move but this is a relaxing and fun hobby for me. Salt water aquarium. 150 Gallon Reef Tank

This too is a hobby and it moves me, more like a passion. I am the gray haired Asian with mask lights. Hard bottom is 140' my max depth was 126'

Dominican Republic, all editing by me. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKpW39sFUDk

Puerto Vallarta, professional done. First couple minutes are boring then it gets better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5COnfH4xg

Another hobby is fishing.

Costa Rica 2014

Editing by me. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMS00wmDWY

Will upload lobster hunt dive videos on Monday if anyone is interested?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Despite being stuck at home under what I call "elderparent house arrest" (due to my alzheimer's/dementia dad that can't be left alone who moved in with my girlfriend and I), I have lots of things to keep me busy...my other fun cars...a Corvette and a big block Hell Camino that dyno'd at 500 horsepower (which along with the Lotus also seem to break!), my passion for food...wine...cocktails, my lifelong obsession with the Florida Keys/Caribbean, reading, and of course, my love for birds, especially my parrots.

No, the magazine covers are not real, but my cars are. These are my parrots too...I love them so much. I'll see if I can add a picture of my dinner at home from the other night as well. LOL

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Forgot to mention that another passion of my girlfriend and I is Halloween and the dark side...we love haunted and gothic decor so I have been working on our haunted (wine) cellar project downstairs for years. It is our little escape sanctuary within the house away from my elderly dad. The perfect place to relax, drink wine, and unwind. I am also working on a sister area to this in a different part of downstairs called Ghoul's Corner which when complete will have a home mini-bar.

Like I always say, for the lucky few...every night is Halloween :)

Here's a couple quick shots....

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
"Will upload lobster hunt dive videos on Monday if anyone is interested?"

Did you catch this much?

August 30 is the opening....so a week from now. I will be diving at key west again

This was last year's lobster day opening.

·
Registered
913 Posts
EMIAJ, I am starting to develop a real knack for carbed bike engines, I bought one of those carb balancers and it really makes them super smooth when the carbs are correctly in synch. I also when buying an older bike, try to find one that has never been messed with by someone that puts a "kerker" exhaust or the like on them, because seldom do they rejet the carbs to match and then they are not as smooth as they were when they left the factory, I like my older bikes stock, I have found that buyers of them do also.

I dont know if I'd drive a sportbike powered go cart, of course I would!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Very cool! How do you lilke the 850? They have been on my short list of interesting cars to buy for the last ten years, but I've yet to pull the trigger on one. I like under-appreciated GT cars (I own multiple Porsche 928s and a Maserati Coupe), and the 850/840 seem to fall into that camp. How are they for DIY?

-Gary
I Love it great GT car once you learn the ins and outs just buy a clean one from the get go or it will cost you some good money to get it in top shape.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I am constantly buying and selling motorcycles from mostly the 80's and 90's, I buy them in delapidated condition and restore them and sell them. Last summer I did 8, this year im only on 3 so far, been busy. My wife jokes that I am the "Wheeler Dealers" of motorcycles. I am always quoting that show when im selling bikes. This past weekend I just sold this guy called Mathew a cracken new motor after working the spanners on it LOL. If you dont watch the show you wont get that joke!

The most notable bike though since I have owned my Esprit, has been a 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo, I knew nothing about turbos before my Esprit and my knowledge gained from the Esprit helped me understand how the turbo worked on this old pretty rare bike. The guy I bought it from told me it had no boost and needed a turbo, actually, it pressurizes the carburetors upon boost and if the carbs leak, then it cant make boost. Problem solved, rebuilt the carbs. "Sold on for a profit" Sorry that was another Wheeler Dealer quote.

I have owned numerous late model bikes previously, I liked more exotic bikes, like Ducati's, Aprilia's, Moto Guzzi's, Triumph is probably my favorite. Im still young enuf to blow thru the twisties on a Daytona 675 like nobody's business, I think that is the bike that best suits me. I used to have a very quick eye and memory for these kinda bike blue book values, to buy and sell them. These bikes also have more fragile engines when it comes to maintenance, similar to the Esprit. I think many guys buy these bikes on a whim, then their wives tell them after a short while they want it gone, that seems to be the way I've gotten a few bikes at a low cost, that and the old rule cash talks.

REDFOX, This guy I used to know bought the first Laverda ever sold in my area from this now BMW/Triumph dealer, I thought it was a old Ducati when I first saw it.

How do you like your Daytona? That was one of my choices when I was looking at purchasing a motorcycle, but I ended up with a MV Agusta F3. ImageUploadedByAG Free1406524186.359791.jpg my other hobby I have been working on is a Shelby cobra replica. I wish I had more time to work on it. ImageUploadedByAG Free1406524294.132785.jpg , and of course always messing around with the exige, which became my daily driver since I didn't want to put too many miles on the Esprit. ImageUploadedByAG Free1406524393.922343.jpg .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts