The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Super Moderator
2005 Lotus Elise
This is absolutely crazy. And so sad too. You would think the government would want to send them to another country for auction and make money. Such a stupid government.... What you do with a car after it has been confiscated does not affect the owner at all. We supposedly have the same policy in the US but I do not remember ever seeing it publicized. Usually the US Gov auctions confiscated cars and puts the money back into the government funds.

Registered
Red 2018 Evora 400
Dumb governments with antiquated points of view. Doing this is supposed to show possible future offenders that your prized possessions will be destroyed if you break the law! Akin to a parent taking the child鈥檚 toys for mid-behaving.
There is certainly a loss of resources on the government side, but it鈥檚 to make a point. Capitalistic countries would sell and use profits to the betterment of the country/people, which is why you really only see this in places with authoritarian mindset.

Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
This is absolutely crazy. And so sad too. You would think the government would want to send them to another country for auction and make money. Such a stupid government.... What you do with a car after it has been confiscated does not affect the owner at all. We supposedly have the same policy in the US but I do not remember ever seeing it publicized. Usually the US Gov auctions confiscated cars and puts the money back into the government funds.
We absolutely do this too. See any car that was imported before 25 years old that the feds find out about. Many skylines and other cars have been crushed in a similar fashion.

Premium Member
2006 Exige
The yellow Elise has US-spec sidemarkers so it was most likely one of the yellow 2005 Elises sold in the US

Registered
Red 2018 Evora 400
We absolutely do this too. See any car that was imported before 25 years old that the feds find out about. Many skylines and other cars have been crushed in a similar fashion.
That鈥檚 different, those are crushed because they can鈥檛 be sold due to liability from lack of safety equipment or not meeting emissions standards.

Registered
Now I'm curious. Were the ones in the Phillipines crushed due to not being street legal there or because someone tried to smuggle them in without paying duties? If the latter, seizure seems more apropos and just as much of a disincentive as destroying one.

Registered
Red 2018 Evora 400
I鈥檓 going to assume, crushed due to being smuggled 鈥渟tolen鈥 into the country鈥

Registered
Hmm. The purpose of taxes is to raise revenue. So the backhoe is sort of counterproductive. Though I guess that's sort of like the pot calling the kettle black given what our Tax Code looks like.

Premium Member
2006 Exige
Hmm. The purpose of taxes is to raise revenue. So the backhoe is sort of counterproductive. Though I guess that's sort of like the pot calling the kettle black given what our Tax Code looks like.
What you are saying is completely logical by our standards.However Mr Duterte likes to use showmanship to make his points.Publicly killing suspected drug dealers is another way. The point is to install fear.If you try to cheat my government of taxes due this will be the result.
It is a shame to see nice cars destroyed like this.
Let鈥檚 pretend that crushed car was the one someone was going put a 1013hp Honda motor in. It would have been destroyed anyway.
This is twisted logic but it makes me feel better?

Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
What you are saying is completely logical by our standards.However Mr Duterte likes to use showmanship to make his points.Publicly killing suspected drug dealers is another way. The point is to install fear.If you try to cheat my government of taxes due this will be the result.
It is a shame to see nice cars destroyed like this.
Let鈥檚 pretend that crushed car was the one someone was going put a 1013hp Honda motor in. It would have been destroyed anyway.
This is twisted logic but it makes me feel better?
Lol!! I see what you did there..... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
2006 Exige
Reactions: GDBB

Registered
I fear my sarcasm may be too reserved. I work with too many laws (mostly tax) of the US and other countries to expect any level of rationality. I do tend to shake my head a lot. But then I shut up and put up as I know it's what pays my bills and the more convoluted it is the more financially remunerative it is for me.

Registered
I can鈥檛 resist being sarcastic,lack of maturity I suppose.
Definitely a lack of maturity to be saying it would be better if it was another member of the community鈥檚 Lotus that was crushed. Just because they have high goals which are unrealistic to you and other, doesn鈥檛 mean you should suggest such things.

Premium Member
2006 Exige
I fear my sarcasm may be too reserved. I work with too many laws (mostly tax) of the US and other countries to expect any level of rationality. I do tend to shake my head a lot. But then I shut up and put up as I know it's what pays my bills and the more convoluted it is the more financially remunerative it is for me.
Yes you can鈥檛 be a wise guy in your profession. I鈥檓 not a wise guy when dealing with customers,but let it rip here.

Premium Member
2006 Exige
Definitely a lack of maturity to be saying it would be better if it was another member of the community鈥檚 Lotus that was crushed. Just because they have high goals which are unrealistic to you and other, doesn鈥檛 mean you should suggest such things.
You really missed my point.All those posts about not putting 1013hp in a Lotus were to explain in detail why NOT to do that.I鈥檓 insulted by what you said.
You have been on here long enough to know me better.
I don鈥檛 just give random opinions I take the time to explain why.
You are officially off my Christmas card list.

Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
Oh boohoo, I鈥檒l believe the monster 1013hp elige when I see it. Should make for a great challenge. Everyone progresses when someone takes the time to innovate and go above any beyond. I鈥檓 rooting for them! I wanna see it completed and hold together!
Sounds good!
dont worry @hvymtlmcn ,@arsenal has been putting me down 24/7 too. Its actually nice to know someone cares so much about what I鈥檓 doing to constantly put nails in my coffin. But then again, he also thinks a 1013 hp elige is logical, so there can鈥檛 be too much left upstairs.

Registered
I think we all know what happens when there鈥檚 personal insults on here ;) @Catsailr27

I don鈥檛 believe I said anywhere that car is logical, or illogical - simply sticking up for the OP against the wave of negativity, which seems to be displayed by certain members 24/7. Maybe if we all chilled out a bit and actually drove our cars instead of trying to have the highest post count per day, things might be a bit better 馃憤

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.