The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our new Corporate Overlords? Autoforums.com?

:shrug:

AutoForums.com encompasses category-leading web sites, and online communities, catering to automotive enthusiasts whose passion for their rides is a cornerstone of their lives.

AutoForums.com reflects a unique combination of the industries most sought after and influential automotive communities. Joining instantly recognizable communities such as BenzWorld.org, ToyotaNation.com and TheDieselStop.com are prominent communities including SRTforums.com, Z06Vette.com, FJCruiserForums.com, and dozens of others. AutoForums sports the most active and popular discussions available today.
No news yet:
AutoForums - Automotive Enthusiast Forum Network

But it looks pretty official:
Lotustalk.com
Registrant:
Autoforums
111 Peter Street #700
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2H1
Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (Complete Web Solutions: domains, hosting, site builders and SSL.)
Domain Name: LOTUSTALK.COM
Created on: 08-Jul-05
Expires on: 08-Jul-08
Last Updated on: 17-Apr-08

Administrative Contact:
Kiehl, Dan [email protected]
Autoforums
111 Peter Street #700
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2H1
Canada

Technical Contact:
Kiehl, Dan [email protected]
Autoforums
111 Peter Street #700
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2H1
Canada

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.TULAROSA.NET
NS2.TULAROSA.NET

Q

·
0 Posts
Aaah... he sold out.

Well there goes the uniqueness of Lotustalk... welcome to advertising hell!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't blame Randy at all. He's put a lot of time and effort into building this forum up. He should benefit from it. It's just that the "feel" of the forum has changed - drastically.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Pure Speculation

Just going out on a limb here.....

I don't think Randy's goal was to build a succesfull Lotus forum with the idea of selling out. I think he enjoyed running LotusTalk, knowing it was a step above other forums. It was 'his baby'.

I have never run a forum, but I imagine can be a lot of work and be quite time consuming. Only about 2-3 of the moderators seem to take an active role in maintaining order around here. This would seem to leave a lot of work for Randy. Besides running about ten other forums, running ChaseCam and now trying to launch the Toniq project, Randy is one busy person. I don't see how he has enough time in his day as it is. Having to babysit here didn't help. There may be other factors too that I can't address.

LotusTalk has been changing over the last 6-12 months...not in looks, but in quality. As Elise prices have dropped, there is a new generation of people who are now able to afford the car. Many are complaining the 'new look' looks like the Civic & SRT4 forums. Well, those are the people buying Elises now and bringing their immaturity with them to LotusTalk. There have been some exceptions, but 'peel out, street race and 20" rims' talk will only increase over time. And add to that the amount of infighting going on in more and more threads, requiring even more time-consuming moderating.

LotusTalk had a high-quality look and high-quality content, for the most part, as forums go. If you think the look has 'gone south', well, let's just say maybe it IS time to move on.

I don't know if Randy can sing, but if he can, I'll bet he's singing B.B. King's 'The Thrill Is Gone'. If he's sold LotusTalk...hand me 'Lucille'.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
For the kind of money they were offering him, I don't think you could blame him. In fact, I think it would be kind of silly not to.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Wow, I wrote post #11 before I saw Randy's.....guess I hit the nail on the head.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts