The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a used non-Lotus from a Chevy dealer in New York. The dealer is about 300 miles from my home. The car has a branded title (lemon buy-back by GM, title held by GM) and in order to process the title transfer and have the car ready to drive home when I arrive, the dealer wants me to send a cashiers check for the full amount in advance. I've bought plenty of cars but never under these circumstances. Any precautions you'd recommend or is this fairly standard when buying a car from a dealer a fair distance away.
Thanks in advance.
Bruce

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I'm purchasing a used non-Lotus from a Chevy dealer in New York. The dealer is about 300 miles from my home. The car has a branded title (lemon buy-back by GM, title held by GM) and in order to process the title transfer and have the car ready to drive home when I arrive, the dealer wants me to send a cashiers check for the full amount in advance. I've bought plenty of cars but never under these circumstances. Any precautions you'd recommend or is this fairly standard when buying a car from a dealer a fair distance away.
Thanks in advance.
Bruce
I purchased my Elise this way and sent a check to the dealer before they released the car. Unfortunately this allows them to control the transaction, so you if you are unsure of the dealer, maybe you need to find someone local who can check them out.

My purchase went smoothly, but I was buying a brand new car and had faith in the dealership and the sales person. In your case, I would be more concerned about buying a branded title car......if GM was willing to buy it back as a "lemon", it must have something significantly wrong with it that will be difficult to correct. :shrug: I hope you are getting a great deal on it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tesprit. It is an excellent deal on a car that we intend to keep for a long time so I don't feel the branded title will be an issue in the future. It has 2 years and 25K left on the original warranty. I've verified that with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
where is the dealer?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I work at Chevy dealer. We would not require payment in full from an out of town buyer. In fact we go out of our way to accomodate out of town buyers. A guy from Kentucky is flying in Friday to purchase a car we have. We asked for a $500 deposit to hold the car. If someone is willing to travel hundreds of miles to buy a car, they must be a serious buyer.

I would never let a family member or close friend purchase a GM buy back. Not worth the risk, IMHO. GM buy backs are vehicles that cannot be diagnosed and/or repaired by GM factory trained mechanics.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
That is standard. The dealer will not release the car without a form of payment. Same with a trade in, they should always get your old car before sending you your new car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That is standard. The dealer will not release the car without a form of payment. Same with a trade in, they should always get your old car before sending you your new car.
You could not have given the OP WORSE advice. If he sends a cashiers check, he has NO RECOURSE. He hasn't even seen the vehicle yet, much less test drove it. We can disagree that a sight unseen payment in full, in advance, vehicle transaction is "standard".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts