The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this post is two-fold: where do you guys typically have runs and are there any plans once spring eventually gets here? I know it's optimistic to start thinking about spring, but the Chicago guys are already planning an outing and I missed the end of year one with zwhittaker and the guys. My car should be out of the shop by spring, so I am getting antsy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
831 Posts
In my five years of ownership the largest Lotus-oriented outings around here are the two Great Lakes Lotus Club events, usually at Gingerman and Grattan. Never have seen a street drive organized. Either that or I wasn't invited. There was one where we would have tagged along with some British car group, but toddling behind a guy with a mustache in an MG didn't appeal to me. So set something up and probably a few people will want to come.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We'll have to see how long this winter's going to last before we can say when, but we can start working on the where.

"Driving roads" are pretty scarce around here thanks to Detroit's devotion to the grid pattern and potholes unless you guys know somewhere in particular. The best I know of for a Sunday drive are around all the small lakes near Pontiac. Are there any Cars & Coffee type events around here this spring?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Check the Midwest Region 'Chicago Get Together' threads. We do a lot.

If you're willing to drive, we do lots of stuff. Hell, come do a drive and then go downtown and spend a fun night/next morning in one the best cities in the world!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the Midwest Region 'Chicago Get Together' threads. We do a lot.

If you're willing to drive, we do lots of stuff. Hell, come do a drive and then go downtown and spend a fun night/next morning in one the best cities in the world!

Yeah, I saw that. I've taken the Elise there before since my brother lives in Oak Park. To say Chicago beats Detroit is a bit of an understatement, so I try to get out there a good bit, but the most recent event talk I saw for y'all mentioned meeting up in BFE Wisconsin. I haven't written it off, but I was hoping for something within a few hours for those of us in Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio

·
Registered
831 Posts
Did the drive from SE Michigan to Chicago many times. Was a 10 year resident of Evanston, worked high up in the clouds in the Loop. I would not want to drive I-94 west of Michigan City through downtown Chicago in my Elise.

Now, going I-96 west through Muskegon, taking the ferry over there or in Luddington and ending up in Wisconsin, yeah, that's a good time. I'm planning on doing that to do a Road America in Elkhart Lake this summer.

There are plenty of good roads northwest of Detroit but to clear traffic you need to get to Brighton, Pinckney, Howell or Chelsea at least.

You guys who are newer or haven't done it yet, drives are OK, but the real fun is to meet up on the track. Both Gingerman and Grattan are in nice spots and you will have more fun in an hour than all day putzing around with your V1 buzzing. GLLC needs a few more Loti this year.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys who are newer or haven't done it yet, drives are OK, but the real fun is to meet up on the track. Both Gingerman and Grattan are in nice spots and you will have more fun in an hour than all day putzing around with your V1 buzzing. GLLC needs a few more Loti this year.

Last time I drove the Elise was at grattan...

It was a learning experience in every sense of the phrase. For example, I learned that the car's limits are so far beyond mine that I've really got to build my way up slower. I had started slow and built my speed up, but I jumped up too fast without realizing it. I'm still trying to decide if I should try again, or get a car that's cheaper to put into a guardrail until my skills develop.

Hence why I am asking about cruises now ;) haha

·
Registered
831 Posts
That's great, it's an eye opener for sure if you haven't done it before or just a little in another car. I missed that weekend because of a wedding, imagine that!

I'd been on a track before I got the Elise, in a Mini, but got a ride and then a drive in the Elise at Waterford Hills. Got a slightly used Elise a few months later. It's a lot of fun figuring out both the cars limits and my own. I have met a number of fellow owners who feel the same way.

Once I started to get around quicker without coming close to overdriving the car it became obvious that driving at all fast on the road was an invitation for jail. I mean I knew that before, but the idea of a drive to go fast on a public road just didn't really resonate.

It'd still better that cars n coffee though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts