The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a diffuser with an over-diffuser exhaust and decided to run the rear naked with no heat shield. I have the headers wrapped and the whole exhaust after the turbo is also wrapped (force-fed turbo setup). I've noticed after running the car, and not even that hard, that there are areas along the bottom lip of the rear clam near where the rear panel used to be that get pretty hot. Hot enough that I can't really put my hand on it for very long. I've searched across the forum and the general consensus is that you don't need to run with the heat shield because it really just traps heat. What I'm worried about now is that since that heat is no longer trapped it's just getting put into the bottom of the clam as it leaves the engine bay. So far I don't think I've reached temperatures that I'd actually be damaging to the clam or paint but it's been pretty cool and I haven't run the car that hard. I'm also worried if I was in stop/go traffic and not getting the air flow through that area what the temps would do. So question... finally... has anyone used the reflective heat tape on that bottom lip? I think for the most part it would be hidden so wouldn't be to much of an eyesore. But in terms of effectiveness and how much putting that tape on would damage the paint vs. just leaving it with nothing and the heat damaging the paint I'm curious if anyone has an experience or just wants to throw their opinion out there. Open to hearing the opinion that I'm crazy and should just stop worrying about it and enjoy driving the car :)

Area in red is the area I'm concerned about.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I put some heatshield tape in that area in red where the exhaust tip exits. You can do the same. I actually put a small strip also on my carbon diffuser under the tip. I painted the heatshield tape in flat black high temp paint. You could do the same since your car is black. Would be well hidden.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I've never had an issue and I don't have any of my BWR Silent Touch wrapped, nor do I have any heatshield tape. On top of that shay2nak and I are running quite a bit more horsepower than stock. YMMV.

San

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Not a problem

·
Registered
535 Posts
With stock powertrain, ST5 muffler and BOE rear panel eliminator, my license plate was cooked to the point where the white paint turned brown. This happened after about ~10 track days at Thunderhill, Laguna and Buttonwillow. Ambient temps varied from 50s to 100s F. The stainless steel of the ST5 looks fairly cooked for the 2nd half of the muffler where the heat is concentrated. If the muffler was wrapped in this area, I would expect the material to degrade faster.

I kept the heat shielding that was bonded to the underside of the rear clam, but removed the formed sheetmetal shielding. I do not have any clam or paint damage from the heat. Obviously not a turbo setup like yours... but another data point for others to reference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks for the responses. I think it's most likely fine but I'll probably end up putting some heat tape on there for peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts