The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the pursuit of purchasing a Lotus Elise SC , after "slobbering" over my friends 07' Elise.

I just had a question regarding the overall reliability of the car (I know this Elise SC was just released this year, but I'm sure it will follow the same trend as previous years regarding maintenance/issues - if any are present at all). I plan to DD this vehicle and will be putting a lot of highway miles on it, along with a few track days (not very many). The closest dealership to me is ~1500 miles away and that's why I'm so concerned about the reliability of the car, as I am not very mechanically inclined myself. Is there anything I should keep an eye on after the purchase or "common occurrence" issues I should be aware of?

(I know I'll have to get the 1000miles done asap after delivery for the first maintenance interval, but it should be fun! ).

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Ummm... ok I'll say it first. Search. Read.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Let me see. I have tanked two transmissions and killed an engine. There has been some smaller stuff in there too. My warranty repair bills have exceeded the price of my car, but Lotus has stepped up tot he plate and fixed everything. I tracked my car heavily and I know I drove it harder, if times are any indication, on the track than anyone else in my part of the country.

The engine actually let go on the highway, but both second gear syncros went out on the cork screw at Barber Motorsports Park. That downshift and simultaneous jump over the curb loaded second too much although second syncro is very common if your track.

A buddy of mine who races Grand Am and races a race prepped Elise on off weekends for ****s and grins killed more second gear syncros than I. They own a racing shop and can build install anything in a race car. His solution, don't use second gear which is difficult on tracks with slow hair pins.

Anyway, he car is solid. Most guys I instructed at DEs in either the Elise or Exiges were very far from the car's limits and beating on it like I did. These guys generally do not have any mechanical issues whatsoever.

I stopped driving mine on the track because I promise I would kill more trannies and engines. I lack self control and cannot drive below 10/10s.

My Lotus is relegated to street duties and I only drive the GT3 Cup on the track now.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My experience is not unlike Doug's (less one of two transmissions (but same failure - others have had the same thing happen) and Lotus not stepping up to the plate to fix the valvetrain (again, others have had the same thing happen) in my engine). However, I didn't track mine; it was relegated to daily-driver duty.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
two elises, two exiges, worst i've had is steering rack clunk and not going into reverse, everything else i can remember was minor this or that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts