The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum. I'm interested in the elise/exige as a daily driver and track car. I have searched the forum for info on any overheating issues related to aftermarket superchargers when used on track days and have not found any. I guess that would be a good sign, but I was hoping that someone with track experience could confirm this. I have owned a turbo'ed Miata in the past that overheated on the track all the time and I don't want to go through that again. Just to clarify, I'm talking about coolant overheat, not the supercharger itself. I live in Florida. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
my SC tunes monitor the coolant temps and pull timing if its too high, which in turn lowers the temps.

it shouldn't coolant overheat ever unless you're stuck in traffic on the 405.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. How is your car on extended high speed runs (over 100 mph)? You have the factory supercharger in your Exige S right?

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I've got BWR with no overheating issues....I've also got the Proalloy radiator which helps....

Last track session was around 60 to 70 deg. at the track and I was running pretty much 180 water temp all day running hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you add the Proalloy radiator as a precaution or did you have overheating issues with the stock radiator? Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Did you add the Proalloy radiator as a precaution or did you have overheating issues with the stock radiator? Thanks for the reply.
No overheating issues, although when I got my car in the summer and tracked it NA my temps would get up to 215's....car still ran fine.
Yes the Proalloy def. helps prevent further issues.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I had a turbo Miata too. Tec3, 230rwhp, fun and fast car.

But even with Kyoto huge radiator and oil coolers the Miata would overheat after about 30min on the track.

With the katana and Charlie's tune on my Elise with stock cooling systems, only once have I seen water reach 200f after a 45min sessions on the track! That's nothing. Usually, I'm between 190-198f. The Miata would creep up to 220+f before I start short shifting to cool it down. :eek:

That's in part what made me sell the miata and buy the Elise. I have no regrets... :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! All replies point to what I had hoped for: No real cooling issues with the supercharger. If I get into trouble on the hot summer days here in Florida I guess the Proalloy radiator will take care of it. I'm looking forward to finding a suitable car now!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have a BWR supercharger (non intercooled) and track regularly in the Texas heat. I never had an issue. It runs the exact temperature it did without it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts