The Lotus Cars Community banner
81 - 100 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
I like the looks of the C8, but like the looks of the C7 better. I couldn’t have cared less about any Vettes C4 through C6. The C7 was the first modern Vette for which I’d do a double take to this day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The local grocery store I go to has two charging stations, have yet to see anyone hooked up. But that’s today. Fast forward to ten years in the future and the parking lot is full of ev’s, with charging stations lined up like speaker poles in a drive-in theater. The electric meter is spinning. Who pays? Some kind of app on your phone?Or built into the car itself?
Yes app on the phone. The stations use NFC tech just like at the grocery store. Tap to start the cycle. Very easy

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes app on the phone. The stations use NFC tech just like at the grocery store. Tap to start the cycle. Very easy

Even easier with Tesla... just park & plug in... no need to tap or swipe or open any app... it knows your car & knows who/whether/how much to charge.

And most people will just charge at home and only use outside stations when on a road trip.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Even easier with Tesla... just park & plug in... no need to tap or swipe or open any app... it knows your car & knows who/whether/how much to charge.

And most people will just charge at home and only use outside stations when on a road trip.
Most people will charge at home? Most people don’t live in SFH, let alone one with a garage. Most live in high rise apartments and condos. Or townhomes/homes with unassigned on street parking. Often parking a block or more from their homes. How will it work for the majority?

Thinking it’s as easy as ‘most people charging at home‘ is something of an echo chamber.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts

Who pays?

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Most people will charge at home? Most people don’t live in SFH, let alone one with a garage. Most live in high rise apartments and condos. Or townhomes with unassigned on street parking. How will it work for the majority?

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Well, most often the driver pays (via your connected credit card in the app) however there are quite a few free charge point stations around (bay area) which is subsidized by businesses or the county.

Yeah, well it’s’free’ when it’s on a small scale. Who pays 10 years from now when EVs are supposed to outnumber ICE?
’The county’ means other people.

And the Bay Area is hardly representative of Main Street USA.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, well it’s’free’ when it’s on a small scale. Who pays 10 years from now when EVs are supposed to outnumber ICE?

I agree. This will be short lived. I'm not advocating for one side or the other, just noting my observations here!

I don't expect "free" charging to be prevalent nor sustainable.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Has anyone estimated how much extra energy would need to be created to power every passenger vehicle in the US? I'd assume even adding 10% to the market would be challenging.

I have always said that it makes no sense in giving rebates on electric vehicles. What should happen is a rebate for solar panels and wind turbines added to homes. If that could make up that 10% difference it would be a net positive to everyone. But of course, that makes too much sense and it's more flashy to just incentivize people to get EVs and worry about the extra energy later.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Most people will charge at home? Most people don’t live in SFH, let alone one with a garage. Most live in high rise apartments and condos. Or townhomes/homes with unassigned on street parking. Often parking a block or more from their homes. How will it work for the majority?

Thinking it’s as easy as ‘most people charging at home‘ is something of an echo chamber.
Whatever you say... I don't feel any need to convince anybody. :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
The other issue is the loss of gas taxes. People who drive EV's aren't paying gas taxes which is where the funds come from for maintaining the roads and highway infrastructure. I think it's either Washington or Oregon that has, or is trying to implement a mileage tax, where you have to pay per mile you drive. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to predict that there's going to be a charging tax, or some kind of tax levied on EV owners so they can pay their 'fair share' of taxes to help maintain everything. Only in their case, it goes beyond roads; it includes the cost of adding and maintaining the power grid which is something that isn't an issue with gasoline. Gas station owners carry the responsibility of maintaining their stations. If gas station owners were given incentives to add solar power to help offset the load on the power grid, that would be good, but then they'll be charging a fee of some kind to help cover their costs.

Nothing is free. Somebody has to pay somewhere.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The other issue is the loss of gas taxes. People who drive EV's aren't paying gas taxes which is where the funds come from for maintaining the roads and highway infrastructure. I think it's either Washington or Oregon that has, or is trying to implement a mileage tax, where you have to pay per mile you drive. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to predict that there's going to be a charging tax, or some kind of tax levied on EV owners so they can pay their 'fair share' of taxes to help maintain everything. Only in their case, it goes beyond roads; it includes the cost of adding and maintaining the power grid which is something that isn't an issue with gasoline. Gas station owners carry the responsibility of maintaining their stations. If gas station owners were given incentives to add solar power to help offset the load on the power grid, that would be good, but then they'll be charging a fee of some kind to help cover their costs.

Nothing is free. Somebody has to pay somewhere.
You hit the nail on the head. EV ownership right now are free loaders, they get a rebate, don't pay road tax, and some get charge for free. That **** is not sustainable. I work for government and specifically with taxes, including fuel tax and I have suggested a yearly mileage tax when an EV owner renews registration they state mileage and taxes applied based on mileage. We will see what they do.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. EV ownership right now are free loaders, they get a rebate, don't pay road tax, and some get charge for free. That **** is not sustainable. I work for government and specifically with taxes, including fuel tax and I have suggested a yearly mileage tax when an EV owner renews registration they state mileage and taxes applied based on mileage. We will see what they do.
Can't speak for all EV owners, but I do think we should all pay our dues... government should figure out a way to replace the gas tax & I'd be glad to pay it. However, I have no issue with Tesla owners getting free charging... just means Tesla charged it up front in the price of the car, that's all. And not all EV purchasers get a rebate currently.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
390 Posts
When I got home with the EV I plugged it in to the 120 and woke up to only 10 more miles charged. I said F that and then put in a 220 outlet with a station in the garage. The cool thing March was the last time I been to a gas station. I never charge my Etron at an EV station since I rarely do more than 150 miles in a day, I plug in when I get home and wake up to a fully charged suv.
That's insane that with 120 you only charged 10 miles overnight. I didn't install a fast charger at my new house yet, so my car goes into the standard 120 and the car charges at ~5mi/hr. At my old house I charged at around 34mi/hr.

Anyway, I'm not sure how Audi manages their chemistry, but you usually do NOT want to charge it to a full, it's not good for the batteries. Tesla's app recommends a daily charge rate of up to 90% and charging to 100% if it's needed for a trip. Regen is also disabled if you're fully charge, so less efficient and more importantly, the driving dynamics are different - need to use the brakes ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's insane that with 120 you only charged 10 miles overnight. I didn't install a fast charger at my new house yet, so my car goes into the standard 120 and the car charges at ~5mi/hr. At my old house I charged at around 34mi/hr.

Anyway, I'm not sure how Audi manages their chemistry, but you usually do NOT want to charge it to a full, it's not good for the batteries. Tesla's app recommends a daily charge rate of up to 90% and charging to 100% if it's needed for a trip. Regen is also disabled if you're fully charge, so less efficient and more importantly, the driving dynamics are different - need to use the brakes ;)
120v can work fine depending on your commute... we have a Nissan Leaf that we averaged 50-70km a day and only charged on 120v for almost 6 years. Adds about 7km per hour charge. We charged to 100% all the time & has not lost any range that I can tell compared to new.

We only installed the level 2 charger when we added the Tesla.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
390 Posts
120v can work fine depending on your commute... we have a Nissan Leaf that we averaged 50-70km a day and only charged on 120v for almost 6 years. Adds about 7km per hour charge. We charged to 100% all the time & has not lost any range that I can tell compared to new.

We only installed the level 2 charger when we added the Tesla.
That's where battery chemistry makes a difference. I don't know how it works for other manufacturers, I just know that Tesla manages (or makes recommendations) as to how much to charge the car. It's set a setting in the car/app. Their long-range packs are lithium-ion and the charging app suggests up to 90% daily charge. Their short-range packs are lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4) or LFP and those are recommended to be charged to 100%.

·
Registered
175 Posts
@LotusB Yup, I only charge to 90% in the Tesla.

About the C8, just watched a video on it... I might reconsider and tolerate the looks of the C8 if Lotus prices the v6 manual Emira too high... if I have to go twin clutch I might prefer the big v8 instead of the 2.0.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
390 Posts

That's an exception, not the norm. Most people pay to charge their cars and when they don't pay it's due to an incentive which benefits the other party in some way. For example, a hotel may have "free" charging for their guests, just like you get a "free" fortune cookie after your Chinese food meal.

These incentives exist today and may change completely in 10-years. Let's not forget all the incentives ICE has gotten over the years, the literal wars that have been fought over oil. Energy is a huge political issue and has direct macroeconomic impact. Energy independence is important to any government.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The C8 is beyond ugly inside and out. The Lotus is one of the best looking sports cars I have ever seen inside and out. Unless you track a car the Lotus is all you can drive on the streets. I am putting in my order tomorrow.

81 - 100 of 174 Posts