The Lotus Cars Community banner
101 - 120 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
The other issue is the loss of gas taxes. People who drive EV's aren't paying gas taxes which is where the funds come from for maintaining the roads and highway infrastructure. I think it's either Washington or Oregon that has, or is trying to implement a mileage tax, where you have to pay per mile you drive. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to predict that there's going to be a charging tax, or some kind of tax levied on EV owners so they can pay their 'fair share' of taxes to help maintain everything. Only in their case, it goes beyond roads; it includes the cost of adding and maintaining the power grid which is something that isn't an issue with gasoline. Gas station owners carry the responsibility of maintaining their stations. If gas station owners were given incentives to add solar power to help offset the load on the power grid, that would be good, but then they'll be charging a fee of some kind to help cover their costs.

Nothing is free. Somebody has to pay somewhere.
You must have not read the 1200 page Biden Administration Infrastructure trillion dollar bill. It has a provision to charge you per mile, they are already headed into that direction.

THE SENATE’S $1.2 TRILLION bipartisan infrastructure bill proposes a national test program that would allow the government to collect drivers’ data in order to charge them per-mile travel fees. The new revenue would help finance the Highway Trust Fund, which currently depends mostly on fuel taxes to support roads and mass transit across the country.

Under the proposal, the government would collect information about the miles that drivers travel from smartphone apps, another on-board device, automakers, insurance companies, gas stations, or other means. For now, the initiative would only be a test effort — the government would solicit volunteers who drive commercial and passenger vehicles — but the idea still raises concerns about the government tracking people’s private data

·
Registered
578 Posts
That's insane that with 120 you only charged 10 miles overnight. I didn't install a fast charger at my new house yet, so my car goes into the standard 120 and the car charges at ~5mi/hr. At my old house I charged at around 34mi/hr.

Anyway, I'm not sure how Audi manages their chemistry, but you usually do NOT want to charge it to a full, it's not good for the batteries. Tesla's app recommends a daily charge rate of up to 90% and charging to 100% if it's needed for a trip. Regen is also disabled if you're fully charge, so less efficient and more importantly, the driving dynamics are different - need to use the brakes ;)
Audi is the same & recommended to charge to a max of 90%. The GM said your leasing the car so who cares do 100% every time, I was why. He said main reason is Audi warrantied the batteries for a long time, going to 90% helps them reduce the big claims & extends the battery. I only have a 36 month lease on a 86k SUV, got a killer deal paid 57k & got tax credits.

I live in Texas it was 102 out today. We went out to lunch & 10 minutes before leaving the restaurant I remote turned on the AC & the SUV was freezing cold when we got inside, I mean cold.I Love that feature my BMW’s had a recirculating air feature but it was warm air blowing around. My Volvo XC60 had you a remote start which helped but still can’t complete against the EV system.

I was never an EV guy and felt I would be one of the last adopters when comparing to my friends. Funny thing we had a cold front wipe out the power grid for 5 days back in February 2021. I told my wife while freezing in our house at 37 degrees while it was 22- out NO Fing way I would ever buy a Dopey EV, she laughs every-time we go out in Sparky. Yes I named it Sparky. For a daily driver it’s hard to beat a EV, but like I said before I need an engine and sound for my sports cars regardless how much faster in a strait line an EV can be.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The other issue is the loss of gas taxes. People who drive EV's aren't paying gas taxes which is where the funds come from for maintaining the roads and highway infrastructure. I think it's either Washington or Oregon that has, or is trying to implement a mileage tax, where you have to pay per mile you drive. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to predict that there's going to be a charging tax, or some kind of tax levied on EV owners so they can pay their 'fair share' of taxes to help maintain everything. Only in their case, it goes beyond roads; it includes the cost of adding and maintaining the power grid which is something that isn't an issue with gasoline. Gas station owners carry the responsibility of maintaining their stations. If gas station owners were given incentives to add solar power to help offset the load on the power grid, that would be good, but then they'll be charging a fee of some kind to help cover their costs.

O Yeah we will be paying

·
Registered
20 Posts
C8 is such a sought after car because of its value in the State. Outside the States, the C8 is much more expensive compared to its rivals. In Taiwan, for example, the C8 cost $7 million NT while the Supra 3.0 Premium cost 2.5 Million NT. The Emira starts at 4 million NT. It's no wonder that the Supra sells much better than the C8.

·
Registered
175 Posts
C8 is such a sought after car because of its value in the State. Outside the States, the C8 is much more expensive compared to its rivals. In Taiwan, for example, the C8 cost $7 million NT while the Supra 3.0 Premium cost 2.5 Million NT. The Emira starts at 4 million NT. It's no wonder that the Supra sells much better than the C8.
Wow, crazy pricing! Due to tax difference or something else?

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
962 Posts
There were 2 C8's at the car show yesterday. Beautiful cars. I didn't see any trophies given to them. I got one for my Evora.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There were 2 C8's at the car show yesterday. Beautiful cars. I didn't see any trophies given to them. I got one for my Evora.
In 3 years from now their will be 130 thousand C8‘s in the USA. How many Emira’s? Or Evora’s

C8’ 2020 26k produced missing goal 38k
C8 2021 27k on target missing goal 38k
C8 2023 32 to 40k depending on Covid and supplies
C8 2024 32 to 40k depending on Covid and supplies

·
Registered
408 Posts
Rarity by obscurity…I’m not sure that is ever a good reason to brag. The c8 is an amazing feat of engineering and will destroy cars double it’s price and doesn’t look that bad either IMO. I’m down for a deposit on a z06. I’m sure it will rip my Emira any day and probably same msrp. Sure, there will be more on road than Emira, but that’s a super weird bragging point..putting more fun cars in people’s hands is something that should be celebrated

·
Registered
578 Posts
Rarity by obscurity…I’m not sure that is ever a good reason to brag. The c8 is an amazing feat of engineering and will destroy cars double it’s price and doesn’t look that bad either IMO. I’m down for a deposit on a z06. I’m sure it will rip my Emira any day and probably same msrp. Sure, there will be more on road than Emira, but that’s a super weird bragging point..putting more fun cars in people’s hands is something that should be celebrated
I agree the Z06 will be insane which is why I am on a wait list for 2 plus years.
‘My C8 Z51 was nice ride, nothing like McLaren, Ferrari‘s, GT3’s or even my C7 z06 when it came to rawness, but definitely a leap forward. The C8 was compromised to meet their demographic meaning large trunk made car longer and to soft of suspension in non Z51 and in soft electric mode, made my car feel like a 85 Grand Marque. Truly dangerous feeling, no way a GT3 or a Ferrari would do that, which is why I am hoping the Z06 will be much more raw. Lotus and McLaren have a way to make the suspension feel smooth but dialed In while the Corvette in nonZ51 and soft Mage ride mode made it to meet their older demo.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Car

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree the Z06 will be insane which is why I am on a wait list for 2 plus years.
‘My C8 Z51 was nice ride, nothing like McLaren, Ferrari‘s, GT3’s or even my C7 z06 when it came to rawness, but definitely a leap forward. The C8 was compromised to meet their demographic meaning large trunk made car longer and to soft of suspension in non Z51 and in soft electric mode, made my car feel like a 85 Grand Marque. Truly dangerous feeling, no way a GT3 or a Ferrari would do that, which is why I am hoping the Z06 will be much more raw. Lotus and McLaren have a way to make the suspension feel smooth but dialed In while the Corvette in nonZ51 and soft Mage ride mode made it to meet their older demo.

View attachment 1295305
View attachment 1295301 View attachment 1295302 View attachment 1295306
so they are giving different buyer demos options on how their car feels and performs. Wonder why they sell so many…makes 100% sense to me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
so they are giving different buyer demos options on how their car feels and performs. Wonder why they sell so many…makes 100% sense to me.
Yep i just needed a more raw experience after getting out of my C7 Z06. The interior quality was a big leap forward and no more leaf springs on the Corvette was huge move from C7 and past cars. C8 Z06 with C7 package will have 60% stiffer suspension not sure I need that raw.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep i just needed a more raw experience after getting out of my C7 Z06. The interior quality was a big leap forward and no more leaf springs on the Corvette was huge move from C7 and past cars. C8 Z06 with C7 package will have 60% stiffer suspension not sure I need that raw.
I’m thinking z06 non-c7, but not completely sure what I’m missing out on (carbon wheels?)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I’m thinking z06 non-c7, but not completely sure what I’m missing out on (carbon wheels?)
C8 Z06 C7 package: From what I do know so far, it’s aero, Carbon ceramics brakes, Comp 2 tires & carbon wheels, 60% stiffer suspension and more aggressive track settings. Z06 still under development for many more months changes still under review to what will be included and ala-cart. If you are on a waiting list at one of the big corvette dealers, you will need to below 300 to get a z06 1st round & possibly 2nd round. At first we thought starting MSRP would be 89,000 I am not sure at this point as everything is going crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
C8 Z06 C7 package: From what I do know so far, it’s aero, Carbon ceramics brakes, Comp 2 tires & carbon wheels, 60% stiffer suspension and more aggressive track settings. Z06 still under development for many more months changes still under review to what will be included and ala-cart. If you are on a waiting list at one of the big corvette dealers, you will need to below 300 to get a z06 1st round & possibly 2nd round. At first we thought starting MSRP would be 89,000 I am not sure at this point as everything is going crazy.
This details some of the C8 aero changes for Z06. Interesting they are making the side vents even larger, but makes sense because of the big power increase that requires more cooling.

Reactions: switchlanez

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
The other issue is the loss of gas taxes. People who drive EV's aren't paying gas taxes which is where the funds come from for maintaining the roads and highway infrastructure. I think it's either Washington or Oregon that has, or is trying to implement a mileage tax, where you have to pay per mile you drive. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to predict that there's going to be a charging tax, or some kind of tax levied on EV owners so they can pay their 'fair share' of taxes to help maintain everything. Only in their case, it goes beyond roads; it includes the cost of adding and maintaining the power grid which is something that isn't an issue with gasoline.....

You must have not read the 1200 page Biden Administration Infrastructure trillion dollar bill. It has a provision to charge you per mile, they are already headed into that direction.

THE SENATE’S $1.2 TRILLION bipartisan infrastructure bill proposes a national test program that would allow the government to collect drivers’ data in order to charge them per-mile travel fees. The new revenue would help finance the Highway Trust Fund, which currently depends mostly on fuel taxes to support roads and mass transit across the country.
There's already a "charging tax" embedded in the 2021 fed budget to put the infrastructure in place. Except we're all paying it, not just EV owners. See item (1) below:

Hard to reconcile all the various funding elements and changes as the bills move through their wickets (that's what politicians have staffers for), but any way you add it up it's a ton of cash. According to a Reuters article:

"A group of 28 U.S. House Democrats on Monday asked congressional leaders to back $85 billion in funding for electric vehicle charging infrastructure, a big jump over funding proposed in a bill before Congress.

The current $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill under consideration has $7.5 billion in EV charging infrastructure funding, but Democrats plan to add additional funding in a separate measure that could spend up to $3.5 trillion.
President Joe Biden in March called for $174 billion in total spending on electric vehicles, including $100 billion in consumer incentives and $15 billion to build 500,000 EV charging stations
."

And of course state level subsidies, eg MD:

·
Registered
578 Posts
This details some of the C8 aero changes. Interesting they are making the side vents even larger, but makes sense because of the big power increase that requires more cooling.

Corvette team started making the Grand Sport & Z versions wider to accommodate larger tires for traction. Personally I felt the C8 to be a very large car with a wide A, that will only grow with these new versions. I personally prefer a tighter packag, when driving a Aventador versus the Huracan you can definitely feel the difference in size. A smaller car feels more surgical when driving verses a very large wider car, sometimes it not fact but a perception thing.

·
Registered
915 Posts
There's already a "charging tax" embedded in the 2021 fed budget to put the infrastructure in place. Except we're all paying it, not just EV owners. See item (1) below:
View attachment 1296273

Hard to reconcile all the various funding elements and changes as the bills move through their wickets (that's what politicians have staffers for), but any way you add it up it's a ton of cash. According to a Reuters article:

"A group of 28 U.S. House Democrats on Monday asked congressional leaders to back $85 billion in funding for electric vehicle charging infrastructure, a big jump over funding proposed in a bill before Congress.

The current $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill under consideration has $7.5 billion in EV charging infrastructure funding, but Democrats plan to add additional funding in a separate measure that could spend up to $3.5 trillion.
President Joe Biden in March called for $174 billion in total spending on electric vehicles, including $100 billion in consumer incentives and $15 billion to build 500,000 EV charging stations
."

And of course state level subsidies, eg MD:

Yeah there ya go. "$640,650,000 shall be for activities eligible..." to provide for charging infrastructure. I love how so much of all this lawyer/politician noise is deliberately so vague as to allow them to spend it pretty much any way they want without any particular oversight. This is how they spend trillions and nothing seems to get done. It could mean a plan to increase power generation, but then again it could mean just putting in charging stations at rest stops and doing nothing to help with the added load that places on the power grid. They probably already have the companies that are in their districts set up to get the contracts, which is the only thing they really care about anyways. Gotta pay back those donors to their campaigns. Apparently most of our so-called elected representatives don't even read what they sign into law. You can be sure grandpa Simpson hasn't but he'll sure sign it into law when they put it on his desk. What a crock.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Corvette team started making the Grand Sport & Z versions wider to accommodate larger tires for traction. Personally I felt the C8 to be a very large car with a wide A, that will only grow with these new versions. I personally prefer a tighter packag, when driving a Aventador versus the Huracan you can definitely feel the difference in size. A smaller car feels more surgical when driving verses a very large wider car, sometimes it not fact but a perception thing.
I generally like wide (and low) cars. But I sat in a Diablo and it felt cavernous inside, had no desire to try and manuever it out on the road. Then again I'm used to an Esprit, which feels about right to me.

Reactions: fasttoys

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Agree. Personally I couldn't care less about "exclusivity" aka the fear of meeting another car like mine on the road, and honestly I can't see why anyone who's a car enthusiast would care either.

Sure, maybe the thought is lurking somewhere in the depths of conciousness that it's cool to have something no one else or very few have. But if that's really a discriminator there are any number of brands/models even more rare than a Lotus.

It's how the car feels, or rather makes me feel, when I look at, sit in, or drive it that are the only real criteria for me. If I see another one, or a hundred, on the street so much the better since it's just that much more community to enjoy. In fact I begin to actually despise the "rarity factor" when it's time to search for parts or service.

101 - 120 of 174 Posts