The Lotus Cars Community banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Unless the U.S. (and the world in general) has in place a plan to increase power generation, of which so far I haven't seen any indication they do, the electric future may actually be delayed. The increased demand an all-electric future will place on our power grid is so much greater than what the demand is now, it's hard to even estimate it. We can barely handle the present demand. In California and other states, they actually issue warnings to residents during the summer to cut back on using their A/C to avoid brown-outs and black-outs. What's going to happen when more and more people are trying to charge their vehicles? Does the government have any plans to increase power generation in the next 5 years? Does anybody know? Power plants can't be built in a month or two. It takes time to plan and decide what type of power generation you're going to build, then build it and bring its capabilities online. The way the government does things, that means years.

Unless something changes, the ICE era may still be with us a bit longer than many realize. Instead of completely replacing ICE, it would be wiser to start slowly adding electric, and use both for whatever each is the most efficient at. But then, when has any government ever demonstrated having any great wisdom.
Solar panels. Lots of solar panels.

·
Registered
744 Posts
honestly I can't see why anyone who's a car enthusiast would care either.
I can. Going to a Cars & Coffee with see 30 Corvettes is boring IMO, even if they are great cars. I like to see rare and unusual cars myself. I would much rather see a Vector at a car show than any modern hypercar. I find that way more interesting.

As for why someone would want to drive a more rare care, probably for the same reason. Its kind of fun (and can be annoying too). If you are someone who likes to meet people and talk about cars a rare car does help with that.

Personally I like my Evora being somewhat rare, but honestly its ridiculously too rare to a point. I have only seen 1 other Evora ever on the road. I would have no issue seeing 5x as many Emiras on the road. The car would still be pretty rare.

That being said I do not think rarity is a bragging point. The only way I guess I could see it if its rarity by cost, but then you just kind of come off as a douchebag. Under the same point I don't understand bragging that your C8 is faster than something in its class or even something more expensive. Bragging that your C8 can beat a Lambo doesn't really mean much considering the person who could afford the Lambo could easily afford many C8s. The Lambo driver bought the car they wanted (and could afford), the C8 driver bought the car you wanted (and could afford). I find people bragging about their cars in general to be pretty pathetic all around.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,483 Posts
Price and brand familiarity scares many away. Just too scary and exotic for ham-fisted, horsepower lover Americans. Grunt grunt.
A Chevy is a safer buy and way cheaper for most. But, they won't understand "the feeling".

Reactions: brgelise

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I’m a good representation of the pre-order surge/interest witnessed by Lotus. Until this vehicle, Lotus was not even on my radar. And my sole reason for the purchase will be the appearance. The Emira is simply one of the best designs I have ever seen in a car, at a price that I can afford. There are two other people at my company with pre-orders, and their reasoning is the same, albeit one is swayed by the appearance coupled with a manual transmission. None of them cared about Lotus until the Emira body design.

‘When I look at the car, as a new potential customer, here is what I see:
Handling? I doubt the average driver would find the Emira to be vastly superior to a BMW M2 competition, Porsche 718 or corvette c8.
Performance? If the mid/low 4 estimate is correct, It loses here also, to cars less expensive, and gets destroyed by cars at an equivalent price. I was personally very disappointed to see that a vehicle that looks like a hypercar didn’t post a number below 4 seconds, and isn’t even as fast as an Evora GT.
Dealer network? Nope.
Customer Service? No.
Name Brand Prestige? Better, but not really.
Design? Runs the table, all day long, in my opinion. The best looking car I have seen under 100K, finally unseating my fascination with the LC500.

But if a lot of these pre-orders are based one one ASPECT of a car, Lotus may be in a precarious position if they can’t stick the landing and make these preorders quickly turn into deliverable cars in a narrow timeline. That emotional attachment wears thin if the vehicle is just a picture on a screen, and the next great design from another manufacturer may become disruptive.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Handling? I doubt the average driver would find the Emira to be vastly superior to a BMW M2 competition, Porsche 718 or corvette c8.
Performance? If the mid/low 4 estimate is correct, It loses here also, to cars less expensive, and gets destroyed by cars at an equivalent price. I was personally very disappointed to see that a vehicle that looks like a hypercar didn’t post a number below 4 seconds, and isn’t even as fast as an Evora GT.
Dealer network? Nope.
Design? Runs the table, all day long, in my opinion
Ever driven a Lotus? ANY Lotus? Not an exaggeration to say that from the perspective of driver engagement, they ruin you for just about any other car, at any price.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ever driven a Lotus? ANY Lotus? Not an exaggeration to say that from the perspective of driver engagement, they ruin you for just about any other car, at any price.
This is 100% true of the Exige.
@DanteRising was rightly assuming the heavier Emira will not be as face-smackingly different.
However, given it is a Lotus, remains more analogue, and more than a couple of senior Lotus officials have stated it categorically handles better than the Evora, we can assume it will still be a better 'experience' than the M2, F-Type, C8 and Cayman.
Whether that experience is enough for the average driver to move into the Emira, none of us really know yet.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
This is 100% true of the Exige.
@DanteRising was rightly assuming the heavier Emira will not be as face-smackingly different.
However, given it is a Lotus, remains more analogue, and more than a couple of senior Lotus officials have stated it categorically handles better than the Evora, we can assume it will still be a better 'experience' than the M2, F-Type, C8 and Cayman.
Whether that experience is enough for the average driver to move into the Emira, none of us really know yet.
The Evoras, especially the 400/410 and the GT don’t have to apologize to the Exige in terms of driver engagement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I’m a good representation of the pre-order surge/interest witnessed by Lotus. Until this vehicle, Lotus was not even on my radar. And my sole reason for the purchase will be the appearance. The Emira is simply one of the best designs I have ever seen in a car, at a price that I can afford. There are two other people at my company with pre-orders, and their reasoning is the same, albeit one is swayed by the appearance coupled with a manual transmission. None of them cared about Lotus until the Emira body design.

Dealer network? Nope.
Customer Service? No.
Design? Runs the table, all day long, in my opinion. The best looking car I have seen under 100K, finally unseating my fascination with the LC500.

But if a lot of these pre-orders are based one one ASPECT of a car, Lotus may be in a precarious position if they can’t stick the landing and make these preorders quickly turn into deliverable cars in a narrow timeline. That emotional attachment wears thin if the vehicle is just a picture on a screen, and the next great design from another manufacturer may become disruptive.
I am with Dante here. I stumbled upon the Emira about 6 weeks ago and it seems to check all my requirements (stick, looks good, handling, 100kish or less). I ran to the configurator and when I started seeing real pictures and videos I was hooked. This car just looks stunning and not overly done/complicated interior

I don’t care about hp or straight line speed I just want a car I can stare at, enjoy driving to work or away on the weekend. I always thought that I would be a cayman or C7.
IVe been lurking here since then and finally made the account today.

I guess things could change as I don’t have a deposit down since I was late to the game but as soon as base configurator comes out probably will happen.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
390 Posts
Ever driven the competition? You'll be surprised how well set up cars are these days. Lotus doesn't hold a monopoly on handling, driver engagement, etc. That's literally Porsche's bread and butter and you can spec out your car however you want: engine, transmission, roof options, interior, exterior, aero, wheels, colors, stitching, lighting, etc. You can have anything you want as long as you're willing to pay for it - and that's before market adjustments. Race bred and tested all the time, meaning you can make these statements empirically and objectively.

I agree with the post from @DanteRising - absolutely everything about this car right now is tied to how it looks. Additionally I'll add to that price for those looks. I'm sure the Emira will be very successful by Lotus standards, but it's a stretch to say: "from the perspective of driver engagement, they ruin you for just about any other car, at any price."

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
I am with Dante here. I stumbled upon the Emira about 6 weeks ago and it seems to check all my requirements (stick, looks good, handling, 100kish or less). I ran to the configurator and when I started seeing real pictures and videos I was hooked. This car just looks stunning and not overly done/complicated interior

I don’t care about hp or straight line speed I just want a car I can stare at, enjoy driving to work or away on the weekend. I always thought that I would be a cayman or C7.
IVe been lurking here since then and finally made the account today.

I guess things could change as I don’t have a deposit down since I was late to the game but as soon as base configurator comes out probably will happen.
The deposit is refundable get in line and then configure the car. If you don't like the final offerings just get your money back. Read thru the threads here in the Emira section to get yourself up to speed.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I expect the Emira to be like a really good pair of high-end headphones connected with a quality balanced cable and going through a proper headphone amp. You may think you already have a good pair of headphones, and you think you know what a good headphone sounds like. You may have listened to your favorite songs a thousand times over, and know every single moment in them, but then... you get your hands on a set of actual high end headphones, through a proper setup, and it's like coming out of a dingy room into the sunlight. Now you can really see. You hear things in your music you never knew were there before. Every song seems to come alive, and you suddenly find yourself spending hours going through your library of music just to experience this over and over again. Once you've heard it, you can never go back and be satisfied.

This is what I'm expecting the Emira will deliver; a fine-tuned experience that's more than any one thing, it's the overall balance that will be impressive. Fastest out there? Don't need it. Loudest headphones with the most bass? Don't need it. Once you experience the magic of everything working together in perfect balance, the means of how this is happening suddenly becomes invisible and you find yourself immersed in the center of the experience.

I find it very interesting that Lotus went to a high-end audio company that doesn't even make audio systems for cars, and convinces them to make one for the Emira. This couldn't have been a trivial commitment on the part of KEF, and they agreed to do this for a small company that's only going to be making one model car? This wasn't Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. Somebody in a high position at Lotus has to be an audiophile and a really good salesman. Whoever it was, they undoubtedly introduced the other execs to KEF, and they all agreed; yeah, let's do it. It had to be a two-way experience too for KEF to agree. As much as anything else, surprisingly I find myself curious to hear how the KEF system is going to sound in the car, and normally I would care less for a sports car.

Everything about this car has that indefinable feeling to me of being something extraordinary. The only "one thing" that obviously stands out is the appearance, which is without question stunning, but that's it, and I think that's what may have some people uncomfortable. They want everything else to be like the appearance, and it just isn't there; at least not at that level of impact. This car may be somewhat like the Beatles, where none of the individual members would have been particularly successful by themselves if they hadn't been part of the Beatles. Yeah they had a great stage presence and a cool look and all, but there was something about the 4 of them together that transcended the individual members, so that the whole was much greater than the sum of the individual parts. Together, they were magic. I have this feeling this is what the Emira is going to be. It's going to provide an experience that's greater than any individual part, or the sum of the individual parts. It's an instinctive feeling I've only had a few times in my life, but it's never failed me. The moment I saw the car, I felt it, and called to put a deposit down. I can't wait to get this car.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Rarity by obscurity…I’m not sure that is ever a good reason to brag. that’s a super weird bragging point..putting more fun cars in people’s hands is something that should be celebrated
TRUTH !!

The only reason some wants the rare low production car is simply for the "look at me factor", ...but to each their own.

rarity is never a reason to buy a car. It only leads to rarity in finding spare parts while it sits in your garage.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Ever driven the competition? You'll be surprised how well set up cars are these days. Lotus doesn't hold a monopoly on handling, driver engagement, etc. That's literally Porsche's bread and butter and you can spec out your car however you want: engine, transmission, roof options, interior, exterior, aero, wheels, colors, stitching, lighting, etc. You can have anything you want as long as you're willing to pay for it - and that's before market adjustments. Race bred and tested all the time, meaning you can make these statements empirically and objectively.

I agree with the post from @DanteRising - absolutely everything about this car right now is tied to how it looks. Additionally I'll add to that price for those looks. I'm sure the Emira will be very successful by Lotus standards, but it's a stretch to say: "from the perspective of driver engagement, they ruin you for just about any other car, at any price."
Yes. I have. Have you driven a Lotus?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Until this vehicle, Lotus was not even on my radar. And my sole reason for the purchase will be the appearance. The Emira is simply one of the best designs I have ever seen in a car, at a price that I can afford. There are two other people at my company with pre-orders, and their reasoning is the same, albeit one is swayed by the appearance coupled with a manual transmission. None of them cared about Lotus until the Emira body design.
I believe that the EMIRA is drop dead gorgeous. To my eyes much better styling design that current Ferrari offerings, and to me Ferrari has been the pinnacle of sexy gorgeous cars. My opinion only, but I believe Ferrari has lost its way with the current designs (296GTB and the SF90).

The problem is that....... the EMIRA is the equivalent of the perfect 10 drop dead gorgeous looking super model, but she comes from a broken home (dealer network) and she has a sketchy background ( same V6 engine from 10 years ago) . The other problem is that this hot beautiful babe super model is not that frisky ( 0-60 performance is so-so).

That's why I see people sometimes choose the overweight ugly girl ( Nissan GTR) that just happens to be a super freak in bed.

Looks aren't everything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, I’ve not had the opportunity. But I think that is, in part, my point. Most of these new preorders that aren’t Already Lotus fans probably never have driven a Lotus either. But I doubt many of them think it will handle better than a Porsche. They slapped their money down because, like me, they saw a picture or video, and were instantly sold on the design. AND , like me, they probably saw the price point and how little Lotus can produce annually, and thought “i better get in line quick.”

But I hope you are correct. :). Internet reviews are divided on that, however. But one of my favorite reviewers (SavageGeese) is aligned with you.

In terms of “competitors” and handling, I’ve driven the Audi TTRS, Porsche 718, Lexus RCF, Mustang GT350, BMW M2 Competition and Alfa Romeo 4C. I would place the Porsche and Alfa 4C as the two best handling cars, but all of them were in a very tight band. The interior space would have been more of a dividing factor than actual handling If I were deciding on which car to purchase.

When checking the boxes, objectively I understand that the Lotus falls short of the competitors in most areas. But I am absolutely certain, based simply on how it looks, that it will put a smile on my face every time I walk into my garage. No bad angles, and a design that I think will be timeless. In 20 years the car will still turn heads.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
I've wanted the Elise since college in the mid-2000s (when I joined this forum) because it was the hero car of my Celica sharing the same Toyota 2ZZ engine and then my MR2 Spyder with the inferior 1ZZ shared by the base Elise overseas. Both Toyotas were known for handling enjoyment but Elise fused the best of both Toyotas with a sleeker design and even better suspension package.

When I could finally afford a Lotus the V6 Exige S was the one I wanted but it was cut off from the US market and I psychologically avoided "settling" for an Evora. I kept my hopes up holding out for a future product. Enter the Emira: Sleek Lotus 2-seater styling, cracking V6, and inherits Lotus handling DNA.

Guess I'm one of those oddballs who has never had a Lotus but it's been on my radar longer than Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs, etc. I've driven all 3 and always had the perception a Lotus must handle and feel worlds better.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts