The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read the "Can a lotus be used as a daily driver?" thread and found it incredibly useful. However, it seems to focus on the Elise/Exige most. For those Evora owners here, what has your experience been like? Any drawbacks? I know the rear seats if you get the 2+2, are pretty close to useless (perhaps only for an adult).

I will be getting rid of my 370z soon to get an Evora, but haven't found any reviews (videos or otherwise) from an owners perspective. What are your pros and cons of it? Anything you wish was different? Any advice for a new lotus owner to be? Thanks fellow enthusiasts!

Edit: I just noticed there is an Evora specific section. Mods, please excuse my enthusiasm and move this post as you see fit. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I've now had my Evora two months and my answer is most definitely yes.

My comments below are all over, but will give you an idea of my experiences so far.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have a 2013 base IPS. It's fast, looks like a million bucks, is more comfortable than my brand new Lexus GX460, and makes the mundane commute a riot. It's an incredible car and worth every penny. If I didn't live in a cold snowy climate I would have another in a different color just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
I don't drive ours very often, more of a garage queen, special occasions. 8,000 miles in three years. But could absolutely be used for regular transportation. Lots of attention though, if that's ok for you.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
The only issues if you use it as a daily driver are the same as other nice cars (door dings, vandals, etc).

From a functionality standpoint, it works well. If you have a 6 speed, you wouldn't have a dead pedal. That may be a minor annoyance to some. Visibility from the rear view mirror is expectedly small but if you actually move the rear view mirror up (so you see some of the interior room), it also give you a better angle on the traffic behind you. Rear seats are good for small children or an adult who sits side ways. I don't think they're really meant for constant adult transportation but just for the occasional emergency or short trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably wouldn't be driving it daily, but at a very minimum every weekend. Perhaps even every Friday to work, we have a private garage at work so I can park it away from most cars. Though most people here have really nice cars, I could just park it next to the Ferrari i see every Friday morning. Great information, it's truly appreciated.

My wife suggested that I could always start out with an Elise before spending the cash on an Evora. Since i'm brand new to the brand, it could be a good alternative? Any thoughts? Did you jump right into the Evora or did you make your way through other Lotus lines?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I probably wouldn't be driving it daily, but at a very minimum every weekend. Perhaps even every Friday to work, we have a private garage at work so I can park it away from most cars. Though most people here have really nice cars, I could just park it next to the Ferrari i see every Friday morning. Great information, it's truly appreciated.

My wife suggested that I could always start out with an Elise before spending the cash on an Evora. Since i'm brand new to the brand, it could be a good alternative? Any thoughts? Did you jump right into the Evora or did you make your way through other Lotus lines?
The Elise is more expensive to repair. A fender bender means the removal of the entire front or rear clam whereas the Evora has panels. On top of that the Elise is one of the smallest cars on the road so driver visibility is more of an issue. So, if you parallel park, the Elise's roof line will not appear in a rear cars review mirror if you're 3-4 feet away.

Both my Elise and Evora were/are daily drivers. I had to be much more defense when driving in the Elise. It's harder to get in and out - but you get use to that. I don't worry about people backing into my Evora like I did my Elise but just worry about door dings.

Also, since the Elise is not sold in the U.S. anymore, they hold their values more even though there are less Evoras than Elise. The Evoras have better deals on them right now.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
^ this. Although the Elise is fun and exciting, and targa topped, ultimately the Evora is easier to live with and you're way more.visible to others in the road. I found I couldn't relax when surrounded by cars in the Elise. With the Evora I feel like anyone else on the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ this. Although the Elise is fun and exciting, and targa topped, ultimately the Evora is easier to live with and you're way more.visible to others in the road. I found I couldn't relax when surrounded by cars in the Elise. With the Evora I feel like anyone else on the road.
You guys make a very valid point. It's definitely something to consider how I'll be driving it when I do. The area where I live, if I drive it local, is pretty quiet suburbs with some great twisty back roads. That may be the primary use, but there is at least once or twice (rarely) when I take it to work. That's about a 30min drive in no traffic or 1hr drive in traffic. Am I missing out on an experience by not trying out the Elise/Exige? My other fun toy is a GSXR 600, it's my fourth bike. The driving experience is by far the most important aspect of it. But by the same token, I don't want to feel scared to drive it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read the "Can a lotus be used as a daily driver?" thread and found it incredibly useful. However, it seems to focus on the Elise/Exige most. For those Evora owners here, what has your experience been like? Any drawbacks? I know the rear seats if you get the 2+2, are pretty close to useless (perhaps only for an adult).

I will be getting rid of my 370z soon to get an Evora, but haven't found any reviews (videos or otherwise) from an owners perspective. What are your pros and cons of it? Anything you wish was different? Any advice for a new lotus owner to be? Thanks fellow enthusiasts!

Edit: I just noticed there is an Evora specific section. Mods, please excuse my enthusiasm and move this post as you see fit. Thank you!
This is exactly the kind of info i am looking for as well! i too have a 370Z that would like to trade in for an Evora. i do have an acura TL for daily driving so the car will be mostly used as a fun weekend car.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
This is exactly the kind of info i am looking for as well! i too have a 370Z that would like to trade in for an Evora. i do have an acura TL for daily driving so the car will be mostly used as a fun weekend car.
I forgot to mention, the rear seats in the Evora 2+2 are more passenger friendly that the rear seats in the 370Z. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Get the Evora, although not my DD really, it so could be. I have been known to drive it to work 30miles through New York City and although I don't do it all the time, you could easily.
The only real issue for me is the weather and pot holes

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If you haven't yet, just go drive one. That sold me. It is a feel like none other I've found.
I had a 2011 N/A 6-sp and now a '12 N/A IPS. Both are great. IPS better in traffic. '12 nicer than the previous inside. I've only had little cosmetic issues. Between the two it killed me. I just wanted anther one.

I had not planned that it would be a daily driver but it is working out to be as it is driven almost every day it is dry.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
ABSOLUTELY. GREAT RIDE, ROOM FOR STUFF, DECENT SOUND, DECENT MILEAGE, PLENTY OF CLEARANCE FOR SPEED BUMPS......................As comfortable to DD as my wife's Jaguar XK!

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
I drive my 2011 6-speed every day and prefer to take it on long trips. I get 30 miles to the gallon highway, which is pretty crazy (love to tell people that too. Their faces...priceless).

The seats are super comfy, sound system is great, and +1 to the door handles acting as cupholders - I can get a Starbucks venti cup in there with a little squeeze on the sides. If you like bigger vessels, the space right down by your left hip, between the seat and door, also works really well for holding a water bottle, etc., depending on how tall you are (I'm 5'6", so it might not work for someone taller).

I don't have the 2+2, but the shelf fits most of my stuff, and I can get two carry-on sized suitcases in the passenger seat and footwell. I rarely use the trunk, but it's Tardis like - bigger on the inside :) Shopping trips, even big ones to the grocery store, aren't a problem - just remember to put the ice cream in the front, not the trunk, unless you want a milkshake by the time you get home.

The only time I've not wanted to be in the Evora was in rush hour traffic out of San Francisco, but otherwise, if you're not living in that kind of Hell, there's no reason besides weather not to drive the Evora every day. It's a *fantastic* car.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Have owned an Evora for about a month. Works fine as a daily driver. Limited view out the rear & side windows. Have to really pay attention where cars are before changing lanes. Backing up can be quite an event. Shifter is vague at times and I stay in neutral instead of forcing a gear I am not sure what it would be. Takes a 4-5 minutes of driving in the morning to get the transaxle and engine warm. Once warmed up, it's warm all day! More rattles than you'd be use to in the Nissan.

The drive and experience is like nothing else. Trunk is limited. Back seat is useful. More space than a 911 or XK has in the back. The windshield/headlight washers are awesome! Lotus hit a home run on mixing comfort and race car into one package. The lines on the car are so detailed, you'll see something new each time your look at it. Engine sound stock is awesome and brakes that have to be among the best available.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
ABSOLUTELY. GREAT RIDE, ROOM FOR STUFF, DECENT SOUND, DECENT MILEAGE, PLENTY OF CLEARANCE FOR SPEED BUMPS......................As comfortable to DD as my wife's Jaguar XK!
Sure does! Went 160 miles on highway in 6th gear and couldn't believe how much gas is still in the tank!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
I have had my Evora 2011 for 3 months as my daily drive and thought I would add this
The 2011 has hard steering, heavy clutch - may become wearisome driving in start stop. Later models are much more refined
Bench seat in the back is PERFECT for the 9 year old, the 11yo sits in front passenger seat, school pickup is easy
Sometimes hard carrying building materials (don't laugh) need to measure on site and then check the car before using it to run a delivery,
Visibility is a problem and with my neck injury there are some manoeuvres I simply can't see enough to do
Toyota engine and simple mechanical means low cost servicing.
Parking and damage - the body is firbreglass so those little bumps in the shopping centre don't dent. bigger bumps will
Keep the revs below 3500 and it is a normal car. Push harder and put it in sports mode and the world changes.
Its a good car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts