The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I'm curious about your opinions about your satisfaction of your vehicle being a non-SE.
Any regrets?
Thanks.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None at all, I love my 89 Non SE, very reliable and a blast to drive.
So nice.
Do you find that acceleration equates to satisfaction?
Believe me , I know there's so much more about the car.
I am very cerebral when I drive and serious.
I enjoy it very much being so communicative with the machine.

I was actually looking for a very good FIAT X19 as a type of replacement.
My first dream-car.
They are little gutless turds but to get the most out of the machine there is something special.
Anything on your vehicle that you are not so happy with?
Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You can't go wrong with a '89 Turbo Esprit. If you ever get the chance ask Arnie Johnson at Lotus USA how the non-SE Turbo's stacked up against the SE's in a head-to-head track competition when the SE's first came out ....

And I like the plumbing a lot better on my car (having worked on both SE's and S4's). I hate the placement of the SE oil coolers. Don't like airbags either....

Attachments

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mieczkow. Nice car as well.
Easier to work on.
What is your opinion of the 5 spoke wheels that are in my other Thread?
I really don't want to go all that way during the winter season on the leeward side of the mountains.
It would be an adventure that I don't want to go on. Not now.
Did you repaint your engine?
Mike

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm not much of a connoisseur of wheels - those wheels looked OK to me. I'm not enthusiastic about spending a lot of money on wheels - I'd rather put it into the other aspects of the car. I've always liked the stock Lotus wheels generally.

The only repainting of the engine are the "red bits" - intake plenum, valve covers, etc. - things that were painted by the factory. The rest of the engine was thoroughly cleaned and and a few items were walnut shell or bead blasted (e.g. the water pump) but nothing that was aluminum was painted.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
z

So nice.
Do you find that acceleration equates to satisfaction?

The acceleration is fine but not as good as my previous S4, and frankly not as good as my 85 G. But has plenty of acceleration for me.

Believe me , I know there's so much more about the car.
I am very cerebral when I drive and serious.
I enjoy it very much being so communicative with the machine.

I was actually looking for a very good FIAT X19 as a type of replacement.
My first dream-car.

Love the X1/9 I believe they are a sleeper currently and stand to go up in value.

They are little gutless turds but to get the most out of the machine there is something special.
Anything on your vehicle that you are not so happy with?

I am not a very picky guy, so when things go wrong I fix them but do not obsess with them. I love Lotus cars for what they are, as far as being happy with it, I am, but I don't expect more than what the car is and was built to do. Its noisy, rattly, smelly, uncomfortable, but I love that. If I want comfort and great stereo I drive my daily.

Good luck Mike and hope you buy the one in the previous thread, it looks great

Thanks.
Mike
c

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,421 Posts
I refinished my "red bits" as well.

Lotus used crinkled or "hammered" VHT (Very High Temperature) paint that did not hold up very well. I had refinished mine once, but decided to get things powder coated during my engine refresh.

The finish is gloss, not wrinkled, but it should be easier to wipe clean. :D
This was an interim picture, there is a LOT more Red on the engine now!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I refinished my "red bits" as well.

Lotus used crinkled or "hammered" VHT (Very High Temperature) paint that did not hold up very well. I had refinished mine once, but decided to get things powder coated during my engine refresh.

The finish is gloss, not wrinkled, but it should be easier to wipe clean. :D
This was an interim picture, there is a LOT more Red on the engine now!
Atwell,
You still have your EBPV working !? (if not why bother refitting the throttle jacking capsule?) Also wondering why the blue silicon hoses clashing with so much Red?:no:
Colin

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,421 Posts
Yes, my EBPV still works. Got the OE Red Clutch Hose in there too. :eek:

Doesn't the throttle jack work when the A/C is on, to maintain idle speed?

Red and Blue are PRETTY....if you don't feel the same way, well, that's what the engine bay cover is for. :facepalm

Finally ot my engine running today. :up: :up: :up: A few glitches still need to be ironed out. Perhaps a new topic will come in a few days. :p Don't know if the A/C system works yet.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Can't say for sure on an '88 but on an '89 the idle speed is controlled by the computer as far as AC and AC demand are concerned. You do not need to have any of the EBPV/TJ stuff for that purpose. I got rid of all that stuff on my car almost immediately after purchase. The idle speed responds quite noticeably to AC demand on my car.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, my EBPV still works. Got the OE Red Clutch Hose in there too. :eek:

Doesn't the throttle jack work when the A/C is on, to maintain idle speed?
et.
Unless you need to pass emissions, the EBPV serves no purpose. It is only there to reduce COLD idle emissions. It is open once the engine warms up. The throttle jack on GM cars is only there to allow the car to maintain idle when the exhaust is restricted.

As Tom said useless junk, the cars run better without it.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,421 Posts
Unless you need to pass emissions, the EBPV serves no purpose.
I beg to differ. :D

The EBPV (aka "Potato Valve", think of sticking a spud into your tailpipe) prevents a driver from accidentally getting too hard on the throttle on a cold engine.

Eventually the valves all start to rattle, too. Would YOU touch a car containing a Diamondback rattlesnake, ready to pounce? rotfl <--- Theft Deterrent

The '88 did not use an Idle Air Controller to maintain idle. But the '89+ 4 cyl cars did.

OK, back to Topic.:no:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There was a really knowledgeable gentleman (Mr. Strange-no really, that was his name :) on the yahoo list that was adamant that the 89 non SE was the best 'true handling feel' of all Esprits. As a tire engineer (IIRC) he had all of the castor/camber/radius/roll bar/rack/braking data comparisons and the 89 was the best of all the worlds. Also no ABS, no Airbag, no intercooler mechanicals etc etc Having owned several including 88's, 89 non SE and 90/91 SE's I can say he knew his stuff but for the average driver (me) it was tough to pinpoint the exact reason that it felt so pure (IMHO)
Colin

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I can't say he would say one or the other is "better" but I had the chance to have a conversation with Arnie Johnson a couple of years ago and when he heard I had a non-SE '89 his eyes kind of lit up and he told me a few stories about being at a track event when the SE's and non-SE's were being run through some paces and let's just say the non-SE's were not dominated in any sense by the SE's. And there were some surprises regarding how well the Turbo's performed.

I don't have any problem with the SE. I would be happy to own and drive one. But I'm not sure they represent any huge step forward in performance. The things I don't like (the ugly air-bag steering wheel) and the things I REALLY don't like (the oil cooler architecture) are relatively minor flaws as I see it. But would I think the average buyer would be short-changed by having a non-chargecooled Esprit? Absolutely not. And if you want to tweak the Turbo (without going nuts dollar-wise) add the green dot cams, a good header (e.g. Al B's one-off or Aluminox), throw out the stock cat and either go straight pipe or else get a genuine hi-flow cat. You will get some noticeable extra zip - more than enough for most street drivers.

:)

·
Registered
576 Posts
As an owner of an 89SE with modest tweaks. and having driven the 89Turbo the difference I note is power and Torque. Handling and ride is very similar, and more dependent on the suspension and tires, than the model.

But, honestly I have always found each Esprit to have its own personality irregardless of the version, and I have owned and driven a lot of fun "slower" cars.

Randy

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I have to say for the "fun factor", I had more "fun" driving my '72 Europa fast and hard. I cannot drive the same in the Esprit V8; it *will* gladly kill me, if I dare

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
None at all, I love my 89 Non SE, very reliable and a blast to drive.
Hi.
Could you tell me the size of your rear tires. They are 16". Yes?
Thanks beforehand.
-btw-your Black car is just crazy.:drool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I purchased an 89 non-SE in around 2004 because it had updated wheels and spoiler - so it looked great and was in good condition. I would have preferred another model, but it was more about the timing and location of the purchase and I was happy with the performance. .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.