The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im searching left and right here and havent really come up with anything.

i know i know, i must be lazy or something, but really. i am trying to locate threads.

my question is how is the cost of ownership with this car? it cant be expensive to maintain the 2zz motor. but how is the rest of the car?

how often are the clams damaged i see pictures and threads of them being damaged frequently.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
the clams are damaged any time they get hit, and i mean 2 mph will cost you 10k. oil changes 200 min. routine maintenance isn't too bad, but fixing them is. usually when someone here bangs up their car they'll throw up some picks, and then a synopsis of the damage and total cost to repair. look for those threads there's a ton of them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you're comfortable doing your own routine maintenance, the Elise/ Exige isn't expensive to own at all. An oil change costs less than $50 in materials (5 quarts of synthetic and a K&N filter). Since I'm four hours from the closest dealer, I don't really have a choice. Of course, I've done frame off restorations in the past and I'm comfortable working on the car, so YMMV.

It only get's expensive when someone taps it in a parking lot or merges into you in traffic. I've yet to try my hand at fiberglass repair. Guess I'll need to find a surfboard shaper to help.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have done all my own maintenance since I bought the car. I have only taken it to the dealer for warranty work. If you do your own work, it wont be much more expensive than any other car. Brake pads were a little on the pricey side, but I guess I didn't really need to buy Pagids.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
bought for $45 K, sold for $32 K 3 years later and put $10 K mods into it (some of which I parted out for about $2 K). So my net cost of ownership was $21 K over 3+ years or about $570/month. Was it worth it? Hell yes!
not cheap, but if you can resist the temptation to modify, your results may be better. No significant mechanical issues in 3 years of ownership. alot of the maintanence is pretty easy to DIY, that made it cheaper.

oh yeah, clam damage is expensive but I got lucky with my insurance, if I hadn't, would have cost me another $5K.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
do not forget tires. first set, 12000 miles, and thats on the high end in how long these tires last. set aside 1000$ for them at least once a year.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
the clams are damaged any time they get hit, and i mean 2 mph will cost you 10k. oil changes 200 min. routine maintenance isn't too bad, but fixing them is. usually when someone here bangs up their car they'll throw up some picks, and then a synopsis of the damage and total cost to repair. look for those threads there's a ton of them.
It's not 10K to replace a clam and most light damage can be fixed for $1000 or so depending on the location of the crack etc.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Aside from a few $free recalls the only cost has been gasoline at 30mpg and one oil change at $180 (however the "oil change" included a ECU upgrade and proper break-in data sent to Lotus in the UK, and a lot of bolt fastenings, etc., Mobil-1 oil, a free car detailing inside and out, tire pressure, etc., etc.) Actually quite a good deal considering.

Otherwise, no maintenance costs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HMM. so far sounds good to me. im still doing much research and still looking into cars i would like to own and can afford. (sorta) the lotus is one of two that is in my head.

thank you for the info and hope to gain much more here.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My experience so far:

My 2005 Elise has had 3 "oil changes" in 2.5 years/10,000 miles. The standard dealership "oil change" runs around $300. But during the oil changes, I've added a new exhaust, tires, brake service w/Motul, etc... etc.. which turn each trip to the garage for the Elise into a $1,000+ affair each time.

My 2007 Exige S has had 2 "oil changes" in 1 year/4,000 miles. I left the first "oil change" at South Bay Lotus with a new exhaust, badges, alcantara interior bits, car cover, different fluids etc... etc... for $1,000. (The second "oil change" and service was courtesy of the drunk girl who ran into me.)

Yes, you can probably find a place to do oil changes for $200 OR do them yourself for $50. If I had the tools and the time, I would do the easy maintenance items myself. There really is no rule as to HOW you get the maintenance items done so long as you have them done and have them done properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts