The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NW FL between Panama City and Pensacola. The nearest dealership is in Atlanta about 6 hours away. I'm very interested in buying a lotus but the thought of not being able to service it anywhere locally kind of scares me. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am about an hour from my dealer, and it hasn't been an issue. Unlike Lotus models of yore, there really isn't anything particularly "exotic" about the mechanicals, especially considering many components are sourced from Toyota. So, servicing the car yourself or having a quality local shop maintain the car is pretty easy to do.

Certainly if you need to have warranty work done, a trip will be required, but while some have had issues with their cars, most people seem to enjoy their Elise over many trouble-free miles.

So, yes, it would be better to have a service center closer, but it's by no means a deal stopper - at least not for me.

Good luck!

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Maybe a Florida owner can recommend a good Lotus mechanic much closer to you.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you can do your own preventative maintenance (oil, brakes), and don't mind an occasional drive to the dealership to replace something that falls off/breaks, then go for it.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
And, if you're comfortable with a wrench and have a space to work on it, you can accomplish a lot of maintenance on your own-with the helpful threads you'll find here on just about everything that has shaken loose or fallen off on most of our cars. They're all around reliable little cars with soem weird quirks. Go for it.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 5 hours from Jacksonville, 5 hours from Atlanta, and 6 hours from Clearwater. What can a dealership do that a good mechanic can't? In other words what would i absolutly HAVE to go to a dealership for?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Downloading ECU data. And it's nice to have warranty work performed by the dealer. But almost all warranty work for me has been small and I could have done it myself. They did replace an oil distribution block that I would not have wanted to tackle, but I think that was a fluke. Every company produces a few with oddball problems. I'm not worried and it's been my only real problem in 3 years.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm 5 hours from Jacksonville, 5 hours from Atlanta, and 6 hours from Clearwater. What can a dealership do that a good mechanic can't? In other words what would i absolutly HAVE to go to a dealership for?
I live in Birmingham, 3 hours from Lotus of Atlanta- I've had my car 2 years, and I've only taken it to them once for the scheduled maintenance- I do all of the routine maintenance, and all of the mods my self-

Probably the big question is whether or not this will be your daily driver- If so, you may not want to risk being without a mode of transportation should something bad happen- If not, it's a no-brainer; GET IT! You only live once!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
LOA's service is not worth my 45 min drive, let alone a 5 hour drive. Keep you and your Lotus happy and do anything you can to avoid them getting their hands on it. Any local high school auto shop should provide equal or less hackwork and your Lotus will hopefully get fixed using less super glue and pop rivets.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I live in NW FL between Panama City and Pensacola. The nearest dealership is in Atlanta about 6 hours away. I'm very interested in buying a lotus but the thought of not being able to service it anywhere locally kind of scares me. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing.
I am ~1000 miles from the nearest dealership.
If servicing means the oil and filters, as well as tires, then there is not a problem.
If things get real bad you could always use a trailer.

Do you realize that the model you're looking at would have the Toyota corolla engine in it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
exactly, i figured most of the parts were interchangable with the toyota. I know a lot of good mechanics here but none have ever worked on a Lotus. I guess it's time to teach myself. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I can install belts, alternators, and simple little things that go out. Hopefully that's enough to get me by with this car.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
exactly, i figured most of the parts were interchangable with the toyota. I know a lot of good mechanics here but none have ever worked on a Lotus. I guess it's time to teach myself. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I can install belts, alternators, and simple little things that go out. Hopefully that's enough to get me by with this car.
I you don't slide down the slope of need to have the most HP, then there will be little to do, other than change oil and check tire pressure.
Even driving like a maniac the brakes and tires seem to last a long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts