The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten pretty used to the Elise by now....though I still have trouble sometimes with the 2-3 shift when trying to go fast. I'm used to the low brake pedal force (though I still hate the position of the brake pedal for heel-toeing) to stop the car, how fast the car slows and how well it turns. I drove the M3 to work the other day and granted, it's a capable car, though I didn't have a chance to adjust the rebound in the back from my track springs (back to stock springs for daily driving) and it probably didn't help that I mounted Pilot Sport tires that Tirerack had on clearance (I think they were old...those suckers are not too grippy)...

But on the way to work, on a sharp sweeping ramp to go onto a bridge, I didn't quite hit the brakes hard enough and then turned in going way too hot....tires howling and all...I did a four wheel drift virtually all the way around the ramp right next to a nice hard concrete wall... :eek:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I found a couple habits from the Elise do not work as well in other cars.

Jumped into the Mercedes. Approaching the corner, pushed in the clutch. Slammed to a stop since this is an automatic. Duh....

Got out of the Minivan this morning. Slid the seat back before I got out. lol...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I found a couple habits from the Elise do not work as well in other cars.

Jumped into the Mercedes. Approaching the corner, pushed in the clutch. Slammed to a stop since this is an automatic. Duh....
Yup. Been there, done that. ;)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Got out of the Minivan this morning. Slid the seat back before I got out. lol...
See, and I thought you were just being a considerate co-driver...

Steve had to slide the seat back when he got out of the BP RX-7, because I couldn't even get into the thing over the roll cage when the seat was all the way forward for him.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Randy,

Are you a left foot braker when driving a slush box?

I am... In my manual cars I occasionally find myself going for a stop only to find the car flying forward! Just a little excitement... LOL!

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
khamai said:
Randy,

Are you a left foot braker when driving a slush box?

I am... In my manual cars I occasionally find myself going for a stop only to find the car flying forward! Just a little excitement... LOL!

Kiyoshi
I instinctively drive slushboxed equipped cars of any persuasion with LFB.
I autox front drive cars with LFB to aid rotation, but I am having difficulty using LFB in a manual rear drive:confused: .:huh: :mad:
m.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I got on the freeway in the M3 yesterday to go home after auto-xing Randy's Elise. Now, the M3 was fully loaded down with the Elise's race shoes, a cooler, an ez-up, jack, tools, etc, but damn. I turned the wheel onto the on-ramp, and it took a loooong time for it to turn in and take a set. It really woke me up. I used to think the M3 was a pretty good handling car...

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Completely right!!! As a driver you've got to COMPLETE re-tune the brain. Turn-in is LOTUS-Quick!!! Other's brag about quick response, etc etc etc blah blah blah... but until you turn into a corner in anger in a Lotus you DON'T KNOW what response is!

There was another thread that mentioned that it's easy to make inadvertant lane changes just by looking over your shoulder. Steering is wired into the brain.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i brake with either my left foot sometimes - e.g. transitional braking while under throttle.

i can't drive automatics! i get so confussed...

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree randy minivans are dangerous.

I went from a boxster to a company minivan w/ 120k on the clock...

Well coffee everywhere at 35 mph in a 35mph corner

I cant wait for my elise :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any of you chaps had a nasty moment in your Elise as yet?..I seen a chap killed in his (Not nice) and you are driving a Very short wheel base car with almost all the mass to rear.

Not to mention that the engine sits on top off the gearbox (High C of G) not infront of it like say a Boxster. I spoke to a guy who works for Lotus and wrote off his Elise 2 weeks ago, seem that when it starts to go...its gone.

How do you find them, or is it too early to ask?
Cheers
Mega

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Try going from an Elise to an Audi Allroad (super soft ride) and back. Without my Elise for 2 weeks and it took me quite a while before I was driving it as well as before it went in for a new oil cooler. I put 200 miles on it today and I want to go right back out and drive some more.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mega said:
Not to mention that the engine sits on top off the gearbox (High C of G) not infront of it like say a Boxster.
Hm. I know the elise's engine probably has a higher CofG than the porsches because it's upright whereas the boxer sits on the ground. Overall however, taking the whole car into account as we must, the reverse is true. The numbers are something like 400mm elise, 500mm boxster.

According to http://website.lineone.net/~vivian.meazza/track/glossary.html The elise has a CofG of approx 400mm, 370 if on lowered suspension.

According to http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/handling/tech_handling_3.htm the boxster has a CofG of 500mm.

Craigy

·
Registered
323 Posts
---and a flat 6 cylinder engine always will be heavier than a straight 6 of same power output class and having natural aspiration both.

Therefore Mega you `ll have to order the Porsche Carrera GT with its V10.:D That engine has a very low crankshaft because it has no flywheel and it does not need balancing shafts for smooth operation.

Alternatively a 4 rotor Wankel engine might be the best choice. But unfortunately it seems that Mazda still have enough problems with their RENESIS and there are not many other companies still doing R and D for rotary engines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts