The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The metal pipes in which my coil packs slide are full of rust and other signs of oxidation. You can see it both in the metal pipes as well as on the plastic coil packs wrapping the plugs. 2 are perfectly clean and 2 show the oxidation. The difference is stark. I'm including pictures of the good and bad ones both.

My question: is this just water getting past the coil pack gaskets on top of the valve cover during car washes, or is this something far worse??? Thoughts?

As usual, thanks for your time and thoughts guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
You can roll up some abrasive sandpaper or hardware cloth and clean inside of tubes, but will need some compressed air to get the particles out.

We slather the plastic tubes with dielectric grease to avoid shorting.

If the car runs ok, this is merely cosmetic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can roll up some abrasive sandpaper or hardware cloth and clean inside of tubes, but will need some compressed air to get the particles out.

We slather the plastic tubes with dielectric grease to avoid shorting.

If the car runs ok, this is merely cosmetic.
TY sir!

·
Registered
477 Posts
This is pretty common, especially for Loti that are stored outside. The water sits in the "valley" of the cylinder head cover and eventually makes its way past the ignition coil seals. I've found that it's worst on cylinder 1 (closest to crank pulley). The area of greater concern is seeing hot spots (look like little brown dots) where spark is passing through the ignition coil body and grounding through the cylinder head. That's usually a sign it's about time to replace the coil packs.

Like most people, I coat the living sh1t out of my ignition coils with dielectric grease.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts