The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Oxygen Sensor Heater and not passing emissions

16K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  exigegus 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I took my 2006 Elise with a BOE Rev 300 supercharger to get smogged here in Colorado. The car passed last time I did this, two years ago. This time however the Oxygen Sensor Heater displayed as "Not Ready". I have since been driving the car around town and on the highway trying to get the Oxygen Sensor Heater to cycle so that it displays "Ready". I scanned for codes and in addition to the Oxygen Sensor Heater displaying Not Ready, a P0113 code popped up for "Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input". I imagine they are not related but figured I would include that in this thread.

Anyone else have this issue where it took this long to get the Oxygen Sensor Heater to cycle? Any recommendations?

#2 ·
Do a cold start, let the car idle for 10 min. Drive around without WOT and hard braking. Easy gas and brake. Don't go faster than 60/65mph on FWY. Does the CAT set?

#5 ·
https://www.nyvip.org/PublicSite/OBDII/oxygen-sensor-heater-monitor.html
>>>>
OBD II Readiness Monitors

Non-Continuous Monitors

Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor

OBD II equipped vehicles use heated oxygen sensors. Heated oxygen sensors have an internal heater circuit that brings the sensor up to operating temperature more quickly than an unheated sensor. The heater will bring the sensor up to operating temperature within 20 to 60 seconds depending on the sensor, and also keep the oxygen sensor hot even when the engine is idling for a long period of time. The faster the oxygen sensor heats up, the quicker the PCM can enter closed loop fuel control, optimizing catalytic converter efficiency.

On most OBD II systems the oxygen sensor heater monitor runs concurrently with the oxygen sensor monitor or continuously when the engine is running. However, the successful completion of the monitors are independent events. Typically the PCM will enable the monitor, conditions for completing the oxygen sensor monitor will be met and that monitor will successfully complete. Some enabling criteria to complete the oxygen sensor heater monitor may not always occur and the heater monitor goes uncompleted for several drive cycles. This may happen more frequently as the sensors age and the sensors’ heating element deteriorates.

During oxygen sensor heater monitoring the PCM turns the heater strip circuit on and off for each sensor and looks for an expected change in current. On some OBD II systems the PCM continuously monitors current flow through the heater circuit. The heater circuit of each oxygen sensor is evaluated independently.
<<<<<

what this tells me is the heater may be weak in your O2 sensor. If the wiring were defective or if it were dead I think you would throw a code, but since it gets hot enough to go closed loop maybe there is no code.

just guessing

#8 ·
Heater is usually an instant test (just a resistance check under load), so it's probably a bad O2 sensor unless it's disconnected.

This should throw a code for the heater circuit though. It'd be worth checking with BOE to see if they disable this in the tune, in which case they can probably flip the readiness status for you.

#18 ·
UPDATE - well, the car still won't pass emissions as I can't get the O2 sensor heater to display as ready. I talked with BOE who said their tune doesn't support this sensor (wish they would have told me this a few months ago but I digress). They said I would need a different tune. I asked how to go about getting this different tune and then.....radio silence from them. A bit annoyed at their customer support or lack thereof at the moment.

So, anyone have any idea how I get this other tune on my ECU? I have the fastworks cable but not the software.

#24 ·
I think if you are running a tune that ignores the 2nd o2 sensor[IOW no cat] I don't think are going to pass a real test. Many states have 'we don't care' tests

It is possible it is more sophisticated than that, but Mass did not give me trouble.

I think a supercharger would throw a code without a tune

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.