The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1995 Esprit S4S
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to customize my futura rims. I'm thinking about getting them powder coated black. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Do it! That would look amazing!

·
Cal H
982 Posts
The centers are a sandwich mount between the lip and barrel. I'm not sure how the painted centers are painted or powder coated. If they are just up to the rims or just the spokes.

If you want to break up the all black just use standard color center caps or change the CF ring to silver.

Professional assemblers of the 3 piece OZ wheel use a power driver with a precise torque adjustment for assembly. Assembly is not the easiest thing to do unless you are confident of your skill level.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Wow...that looks really good!!!
Love the all black with the polished outer rim look.
An interesting contrast might be a shiny non-painted center, but only the small part that says OZ (within the bolt area, not the whole big cap) with the rest of the outer cap black.

Roy

·
Registered
145 Posts
The torque spec for those rims is apparently very tricky. An OZ rep. told me they use a multi stage torque pattern that is very specific. First you have to find the tool.

Secondly, I wouldn't take on that challenge if you plan on tracking the car. Reason being that the stress on an improperly torqued aluminum rim could be dangerous.

Otherwise I do like the way the rim looks. With powder coating....you have a huge option of colors. Maybe have them powder coat the OZ emblem to match the color of your car to offset the black....or go all black and change up the color of the center cap.

Just some food for thought.

Dom

·
Cal H
982 Posts
The black is favored by the AMG crowd that also use a lot of Futura and Mito wheels. There are place like Memoryfab that will take apart, repair, finish, and reassemble the 3 piece. I seem to recall even Discount tire having 1 facility somewhere with an OZ wheel assembly station with the power torque driver but forgot exactly where it was located. Tire Rack might have one too. In each case I think it was one place that handled the assembly service company wide and I am not sure if they only do the lip,center and barrel assembly for only new wheels custom ordered. Either way there are shipping costs that ramp up the price

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Google will show many web sites showing how to assemble your own 3 piece wheels. Doesn't look like rocket science.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts