Per Service Notes:

Malfunction Criteria:
•VVT error>5 degrees for time>2.5 secs

Potential failure modes:
•Static valve timing is incorrect
•VVT cam shaft actuator failure
•VVT control valve stuck open/closed
•VVT control valve filter

Good luck. Hope it can get you somewhere.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Per Service Notes:

Malfunction Criteria:
•VVT error>5 degrees for time>2.5 secs

Potential failure modes:
•Static valve timing is incorrect
•VVT cam shaft actuator failure
•VVT control valve stuck open/closed
•VVT control valve filter

Good luck. Hope it can get you somewhere.
That's above my pay grade on how to know how to fix this.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I believe others have encountered this code after an oil change, and the solution was to switch the oil to a different brand/type, as whatever you have in there now is getting too thin when the engine has heated up.

EDIT: That was a similar/related code (P0014). But this could be a blocked/clogged OCV. See this thread for more details: Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
That's above my pay grade on how to know how to fix this.
Check fuses for the ECU and its solenoids first. A quick google says they are R7 and R8, but your manual should be able to confirm that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe others have encountered this code after an oil change, and the solution was to switch the oil to a different brand/type, as whatever you have in there now is getting too thin when the engine has heated up.

EDIT: That was a similar/related code (P0014). But this could be a blocked/clogged OCV. See this thread for more details: Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced
Interestingly enough, this started last year after the oil change at a NJ shop. I've tried to get in touch with the the tech, he's yet to return my message.

I can clear the error out and it runs fine. I was surprised to see a couple of days ago some smoke/steam from the engine compartment when I was hooking up the battery tender. I was just a little concerned here.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't trust the dealer for the oil change on my car so I do them myself. The first time I brought my Evora in for an oil change, one of the under tray nuts was missing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to try and change the oil and see if that does the trick. What oil and filter do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm going to try and change the oil and see if that does the trick. What oil and filter do you guys recommend?
As far as oil goes, the service notes call for a "top quality full synthetic 5w-40". I used Castrol Edge 5w40 and a genuine Toyota TRD filter. There are plenty of options for a full synthetic 5w40 out there though. It also says "if the vehicle is to be driven hard in very high ambient temperatures, or used on a race track, the recommended fully synthetic engine oil is Castrol Edge 10W/60".

Reactions: AdamsWorld

·
Registered
172 Posts
Reactions: AdamsWorld

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks. Also confirming this is the correct air filter.

I don't think so, it's the wrong shape. Try searching for the Toyota part # listed here.

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked up a STP Air Filter SA10169 at Autozone. We should be good. Hopefully this will fix the error code.

·
Administrator
1,446 Posts

·
Administrator
1,446 Posts
Let us know what you find.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts